+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Old Mrs. May's fudge shoppe

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Which is the exact point I was making, BFP. There's good and bad on all messageboards.
    I have no problem with generalisations, they are just that, generalisations, I don't see why the form is so frowned upon. If based on the experience of an individual then that should be as valid an observation as any other, it's not saying e.g 'all black women are difficult to work with' but when several people have formed the same opinion, surely it has to be valid?
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 21-07-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I have no problem with generalisations, they are just that, generalisations, I don't see why the form is so frowned upon. If based on the experience of an individual then that should be as valid an observation as any other, it's not saying e.g 'all black women are difficult to work with' but when several people have formed the same opinion, surely it has to be valid?
    In which case, the text should read 'In my experience I have found quite a few / lots of/ several black women / Irish men / Brexiteers / undersized people lazy / rude / ignorant / insensitive / poor swimmers, etc..
    Generalisations flood this board like the Severn Bore and they are hardly ever correct (see what I did there?).
    Last edited by sidders; 21-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Generalisations flood this board like the Severn Bore and they are hardly ever correct (see what I did there?).
    Yes, they do Sid, but there are laws against making generalised slurs defined by race, religion and ***ual orientation but someone can make ill informed comments about workers from their own country without question or challenge. Well I'm challenging it, it's about time we stood up fro British workers.

I expect that in your bizarre way of thinking, you will somehow interpret that as racist or right wing.

In which case, the text should read 'In my experience I have found quite a few / lots of/ several black women / Irish men / Brexiteers / undersized people lazy / rude / ignorant / insensitive / poor swimmers, etc..
    In your opinion, on what basis do you contradict my own and others, actual experience?

The experience of others with particular groups, would I think, be more extensive than yours. Have you ever worked on a factory floor with African women? People opining here have, so their experience has more value than your 'opinion' which is probably based on zero experience of working with any particular ethnic groups in given situations.

If I worked with e.g 10 African women and I found that just two, were actually worth employing, what words would you use to describe this scenario?

Liberals, typically middle class, tend to spout a lot of baseless opinions whilst 'generalisations' are usually made by people speaking from actual experience.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 21-07-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Yes, they do Sid, but there are laws against making generalised slurs defined by race, religion and ***ual orientation but someone can make ill informed comments about workers from their own country without question or challenge. Well I'm challenging it, it's about time we stood up fro British workers.

This is why the Raab, Patel, Kwarteng (and probably the majority of tories) stance of "The British are among the worst idlers in the world. " sticks out as an insulting comment. But this will be their justification for ripping further into worker's rights given the chance if Brexit happens.

On generalisations, you have to be very, very careful. To not make them from observation, life experience, study is to render yourself stupid - cultures, mentalities, behaviours are very different after all. But the trick is to not attribute anything to individuals until you really get to know them, anything else is just damn prejudice.

Also to see the positives in other cultures and the faults in our own. Like with people there's good and bad in every one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    it's about time we stood up fro British workers.

I'm with ya!!!!!!!!!!!

Never worked with Poles or African women but a mate of mine , a line manager has. Told me Poles are hard working and a pleasure to manage . Told me African women are bone idle and a nightmare to manage , always playing the race card ( haven't they learnt quicky ) . He reckons the Brits are ok but just need a bit of loving. Just saying what I have been told you liberal wishy washy lot.

ps . I think we all hate when people talk to loudly on their mobiles . No one can tell me African women aren't the worse! . FFS , I sometimes wonder why they need a phone!
    Last edited by navypie; 21-07-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Never worked with Poles or African women but a mate of mine , a line manager has. Told me Poles are hard working and a pleasure to manage . Told me African women are bone idle and a nightmare to manage , always playing the race card ( haven't they learnt quicky ) . He reckons the Brits are ok but just need a bit of loving. Just saying what I have been told you liberal wishy washy lot.

ps . I think we all hate when people talk to loudly on their mobiles . No one can tell me African women aren't the worse! . FFS , I sometimes wonder why they need a phone!
    OK....I am sure that I am going to get shot down for this....but what the hell.

There are absolutely NO blacks where I live here......70,000 people, edge of the northern Mexico desert....then I spotted a tramp rolled in a blanket in the market square, with a begging bowl at his feet, near the CFE electric office as I was paying my bi-monthly bill, black as the ace of spades, total shock.....a month later I spotted him curled in the same blanket outside the animal feed store behind Walmart....like every one else, we did a body-swerve around the guy.

As I have pointed out before, and I am willing to take my camera and record the 3 mile round-trip to Walmart and back as proof.....there are a minimum of 30 to 60 Mexicans "working" that stretch....selling everything from live animals to squeaky toys....sometimes I buy a bunch of flowers for 10p or let them wash my windscreen for 5p...I'll be honest but most times I wave them away....the only black guy in 5 years is curled under a blanket presumably waiting for people to give him money for nothing.....I know this proves nothing....but yet another example of my personal experience of life.

I have taken in a beggar off the streets 2 Christmases ago, I told the story on here?, I cooked for him over Xmas, free beer, showers, hot chocolate every morning at 7am, a bag full of my older clothes.......he was part Mexican, part US half-caste from Chicago....plus I paid him £10 a day cash for odd jobs, which he immediately raced to the shop to buy cigarettes and weed from the Narco spotters.....when he left he said "he had wasted 6 weeks on a holiday!!!...wtf.....now he had to get back to proper begging as that was where the real money was"....I was absolutely flabbergasted as he strolled off....when I went in his room, I found he had been cutting square holes in a £100 mattress to pull out the foam to use as filters in his spliffs....I was livid.

My point is....sometimes it is the personal experiences in life that teach you a lesson...not the law, the school or the government....or even some of the idiots on here that preach from their pension gold-plated ivory towers....I am 61 years old this year and I've seen every single scam going.....and even I, occasionally get caught out.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post

Just to add. A lady from Zimbabwe who worked there told him a moving story on how she got herself and her family out of the former bread basket of Africa because they were all starving ( apperntley she failed to mention the main reason why they were starving, Mugabe's openley racist campaign against the white farmers) . He was truly moved by her brave story. However, he did struggle a bit with the fact she was about 18 stone!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    You also wrote....

'This also applies to pretty much every other sector apart from low skilled manual workers who should under no conditions be exposed to any competition ever, in fact they should be protected'

If there were a glut of jobs and resources, it would be ok to allow an influx of unskilled labour but there isn't. A governments first duty is to it's own people and it's own societal requirements. Providing a glut of unskilled fruit pickers to maximise Farmer Brown's profits, only benefits one person, the farmer, it gives nothing to society as a whole.
    I know there isn't a glut of jobs, but it doesn't sound like there's a glut of profit in dairy farming either. I suppose I was playing devil's advocate by asking why competition is ok for some categories of people but not for others.

Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast