Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
You can make a moral case for that kind of opinion, ie if you don't work you don't eat, but on a practical level the kind of inequality you get in societies like that create numerous other problems like crime, corruption and so on.
....but in the UK, all those "safety nets" are in place for the needy....but places like St Anns and the Meadows are still hot-beds of crime?....in fact various news media were reporting London now as the "knife-crime capital of the World" and I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that all of the knife-wielding thugs are getting enough to eat

No, there is something else wrong with the UK, but I cannot put my finger on the cause....I agree with you that in countries like Mexico, corruption is a huge problem....but that is people that actually ARE WORKING but in a position of power...ie a policeman earning £1.50 an hour decides to take a £10 bribe to ignore a traffic violation or a government official accepting £500 to "speed up" a planning application....here, it is seen as part of the cost of doing business