+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Old Mrs. May's fudge shoppe

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    We do have cows, but as the article explains quite clearly we consume more dairy produce than we make in this country.

It also gives examples of the tariffs on dairy products which are quite high, so if we leave without a deal then dairy prices will go up, that seems like a fairly uncontroversial thing to write.

I don't understand exactly what your problem is with this article.
    On the other hand it could be an industry that is actually developed now rather than restricted by EU quotas (which I understand are now being ended). It may also mean that as a result of producing for our own market that we can have the double benefit of cheaper milk in the supermarkets and more realistic prices for the farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Yeah, and Cameron definitely said World War 3 would definitely happen if people voted leave and THAT hasn’t happened so that means Brexit is really good.
    Can you show the quote where he said 'World War 3 would definitely happen?

He didn't.

Why is it that anything even slightly negative written about Brexit has to be treated as 'Project fear'?

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    On the other hand it could be an industry that is actually developed now rather than restricted by EU quotas (which I understand are now being ended). It may also mean that as a result of producing for our own market that we can have the double benefit of cheaper milk in the supermarkets and more realistic prices for the farmers.
    They were ended in 2015. What did farmers say then?

'EU milk quotas have been scrapped after more than three decades of efforts to prevent overproduction.

The system, set up in 1984, is ending so EU dairy businesses can compete with international rivals in supplying fast-growing markets in Asia and Africa.

The Irish Republic, the Netherlands and Germany are all expected to increase production sharply.

But UK farmers have said it could lead to further falls in the price they receive for their milk'

What about the EU subsidies paid?

And you honestly believe we can have cheaper milk and better prices for the farmers? How will that work then?
    Last edited by magpie_mania; 18-07-2018 at 01:08 PM.

It may also mean that as a result of producing for our own market that we can have the double benefit of cheaper milk in the supermarkets and more realistic prices for the farmers.
    So the farmers will get more per pint and it will be cheaper in the shops? Is this another part of the Brexit Dividend I've been hearing about?

Well that's in line with your view that everything might be better after Brexit and that's fine, that's your opinion, but why on earth someone would get angry with a newspaper article for basically telling the truth I don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    So the farmers will get more per pint and it will be cheaper in the shops? Is this another part of the Brexit Dividend I've been hearing about?
    The cows will be eating the magic grass from the sunlit uplands so everything will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    They were ended in 2015. What did farmers say then?

'EU milk quotas have been scrapped after more than three decades of efforts to prevent overproduction.

The system, set up in 1984, is ending so EU dairy businesses can compete with international rivals in supplying fast-growing markets in Asia and Africa.

The Irish Republic, the Netherlands and Germany are all expected to increase production sharply.

But UK farmers have said it could lead to further falls in the price they receive for their milk'

What about the EU subsidies paid?

And you honestly believe we can have cheaper milk and better prices for the farmers? How will that work then?
    The argument stated that we did not have capacity to fulfill demand. Capacity has been limited due to EU quotas which has restricted our dairy farms for 30 odd years. My argument is that we can increase our productivity in this Country. During the restrictions Britain adapted its milk producing capabilities and has become more efficient than many of its European counterparts. This efficiency has seen in a growth since the lifting of the quotas and would stand us in very good stead if we were required to provide increased capacity for internal market use. Obviously, deals would have to be done with the processors and the supermarkets but the possibilities are there should we choose to take them. After all, that's what Brexit is about.

The argument stated that we did not have capacity to fulfill demand. Capacity has been limited due to EU quotas which has restricted our dairy farms for 30 odd years. My argument is that we can increase our productivity in this Country. During the restrictions Britain adapted its milk producing capabilities and has become more efficient than many of its European counterparts. This efficiency has seen in a growth since the lifting of the quotas and would stand us in very good stead if we were required to provide increased capacity for internal market use. Obviously, deals would have to be done with the processors and the supermarkets but the possibilities are there should we choose to take them. After all, that's what Brexit is about.
    How, realistically, can we have cheaper milk and higher prices for the farmers?

Govt will cover the subsidies until 2022 - then what?

Can you show the quote where he said 'World War 3 would definitely happen?

He didn't.

Why is it that anything even slightly negative written about Brexit has to be treated as 'Project fear'?
    I think you'll find BFP was being sarcastic.

How, realistically, can we have cheaper milk and higher prices for the farmers?
    Because the Brexit magic money tree must be lot bigger than the one Corbyn is supposed to have!

We've got more chance of seeing Notts in the Champions League than we have of milk prices going down as a result of Brexit.

Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast