+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Old Mrs. May's fudge shoppe

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I'll give you a clue. He was pro EU until he saw an opportunity to be PM and then all of a sudden he wasn't.
    Kind of like Corbyn but in reverse, hey?

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Yep.

Many Labour MPs would love to get rid of Corbyn , and serial defectors like Soubry continue to look for an excuse to leave the Tory party, much as she did in the eighties to the SDP

Meanwhile much of the Tory criticism has come from the leadership, or potential leadership candidates .

Both Corbyn, and Johnson have their grass root activists in the palms of their respective hands. Any move to oust Corbyn would lead to a Momentum lead revolt, and any attempt to discipline Boris would lead to internal Tory chaos

I think we may be in for an interesting few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    any attempt to discipline Boris would lead to internal Tory chaos.
    I think the Tories have had that one done and dusted for months!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It is naïve to believe you can eliminate risk, wherever you draw the line.
    Who is naive enough to believe anyone can "eliminate risk"? The laws of different countries exist to minimize risk.

my view is that the point where freedom of expression turns into a crime is if/when the speaker or their followers attempt to convert their opinions into violent action
    we shouldn't sacrifice free speech for all (which is either absolute or it's nothing) because a tiny percentage would misuse it.

Ridiculous.

Just in case it's not clear. the "absolute" freedom of speech you're promoting includes the freedom to disseminate child ****, torture, rape and revenge ****, government, military, commercial, personal secrets, 'Fire in a crowded theatre', lies, defamation, fake news, propaganda, your address... in fact anything up to the point it's "converted into violent action".

Like I said, very naive.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    If anyone is interested in the topic of free speech I'd recommend looking up Jordan Peterson's debate at Oxford University on YouTube. He makes some good points and the audience make some good counter points.
    JP's still a hot topic where I live and work. He's not the devil incarnate some make him out to be, but he sure can look like one I'll get in some lemon sherbets and watch that debate when I have a mo, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    Who is naive enough to believe anyone can "eliminate risk"? The laws of different countries exist to minimize risk.

Ridiculous.

Just in case it's not clear. the "absolute" freedom of speech you're promoting includes the freedom to disseminate child ****, torture, rape and revenge ****, government, military, commercial, personal secrets, 'Fire in a crowded theatre', lies, defamation, fake news, propaganda, your address... in fact anything up to the point it's "converted into violent action".

Like I said, very naive.
    Absolute freedom of speech advocates are always very keen to defend the likes of Johnson’s right to abuse minorities, never saw them when Abu Hamza was urging his followers to “kill the infidels”.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Absolute freedom of speech advocates are always very keen to defend the likes of Johnson’s right to abuse minorities, never saw them when Abu Hamza was urging his followers to “kill the infidels”.
    Comparing people to letter boxes in The Telegraph , and incitement to murder.

I never saw the connection , thanks for that piece of lateral thinking.

Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast