+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrong Uns

Can't say, my folks forbade me from frequenting Glasgow pubs when I was ten years old.

But you wouldn't recognise the area from 10 years ago, let alone 40.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Is the Park Bar still on the go?
    Quote Originally Posted by krakowdon View Post
    It is, but it is suffering from the general gentrification of that stretch of Argyle Street. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

In the unlikely event of you running out of things to complain about I'm sure a visit there would stoke the ire.
    To be fair, even 8yrs ago there was nothing there other than the Park Bar and a couple of other places.

I take it you were allowed to frequent other pubs at 10?

Back in 1978 the Park Bar was a notorious gay spot for Tories.

If there were any p'oofters in the Park Bar the day I was there then I didn't notice them.

Just a bar full of mannies set in a typical Glasgow wasteland setting.

It was a Sunday dennertime and the big doms final ran out of time, meaning the finale had to be played out on the street on the back of a newspaper notice board set on a couple of beer crates.
    I had my first curry that weekend at the Koh i Noor when it was still in Gibson Street.

The Park Bar, never been but it seems to be (or used to be) a magnet for folk fae the North West Highlands, particularly the Islanders, when they went to Glesca.

I recall an overnighter from my local in Inverness to Glesca.......think it was for a Caley Thistle game but canna accurately remember.......and we were heading out for a night on it.

There was 3 or 4 lads there fae Skye, Benbecula....mebbe a Lewis dude as well, they disappeared en masse for the Park Bar while the rest of us were toon centring it.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The Park Bar, never been but it seems to be (or used to be) a magnet for folk fae the North West Highlands, particularly the Islanders, when they went to Glesca.

I recall an overnighter from my local in Inverness to Glesca.......think it was for a Caley Thistle game but canna accurately remember.......and we were heading out for a night on it.

There was 3 or 4 lads there fae Skye, Benbecula....mebbe a Lewis dude as well, they disappeared en masse for the Park Bar while the rest of us were toon centring it.
    Pub next door is the Islay bar. Owned by someone from Harris.

An authentic Islay Bar should have chap in a zoot suit behind it

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Pub next door is the Islay bar. Owned by someone from Harris.
    The Park Bar is still going, though perhaps not as strong as before.

Along with the aforementioned Islay Inn and the Snaffle, it forms a bit of a holy trinity when us "real" sheep-sh@ggers venture to Glasgow.

I've not met many "wrong uns" in either of the three
    Last edited by wester_ross_don; 24-06-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: fell foul of over-zealous sweary filtering

Quote Originally Posted by wester_ross_don View Post

Along with the aforementioned Islay Inn and the Snaffle, it forms a bit of a holy trinity when us "real" sheep-sh@ggers venture to Glasgow.

Her family used to drink in Curlers back in the 60s when there was nothing else next to Glasgow uni. They all came from Islay and it was apparently full of "real" sheep shaggers.

Quote Originally Posted by wester_ross_don View Post

The Snaffle Bit?

Ill be in there on Thursday

I've only ever visited the Snaffle Bit the once, for a proper mannies' pub quiz. We were soundly beaten by some real serious pros. One of them had been on 15-1 so often he referred to William G Stewart as 'Bill'.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast