Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What's the point of extra time?

  1. #1

    What's the point of extra time?

    Mostly it's more exciting to go and watch my vegetables grow than endure the extra 30 minutes (Wembley excepted of course). In the World Cup all games going to extra time seem to peter out as teams are either tired or shutting up shop or both. Straight to penalties after 90 minutes a better option?

  2. #2
    I've thought the same but I wonder if pens after 90 mins would move the problem, not solve it. For example, if it gets to 60 mins and the score is tied both teams then shut up shop and play like Austria v West Germany in 82 and cruise twoards the pens.

  3. #3
    Get to 90 min then no final whistle. Make em play till someone scores..

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Get to 90 min then no final whistle. Make em play till someone scores..
    They've tried the golden goal thingy before and it didn't work too well I seem to recall.

  5. #5
    Golden goal was 15 min each way. Just make em play till one scores. No turn around. No water brakes. If players get injured they leave the field and can't return. Either that or blow at 90 min, add up total possession in opponents box. (We have stats for everything). Whoever spent most over 90 min wins..

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Golden goal was 15 min each way. Just make em play till one scores. No turn around. No water brakes. If players get injured they leave the field and can't return. Either that or blow at 90 min, add up total possession in opponents box. (We have stats for everything). Whoever spent most over 90 min wins..
    Bit like a boxing match. If it goes the distance and goals level, it goes to points decision (based on stats though not some crooked judges points tally!)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJohn View Post
    Bit like a boxing match. If it goes the distance and goals level, it goes to points decision (based on stats though not some crooked judges points tally!)
    Won't be long before it's 3 sets of 30 minutes with two breaks of 15 minutes so they can do more corporate stuff.

    Then at first break folks can boycott the second passage of play, stay in the bar and just watch the last third

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Won't be long before it's 3 sets of 30 minutes with two breaks of 15 minutes so they can do more corporate stuff.

    Then at first break folks can boycott the second passage of play, stay in the bar and just watch the last third
    Sadly, I can see this coming too. Especially as the World Cup will be in the US in 8 years time

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Sadly, I can see this coming too. Especially as the World Cup will be in the US in 8 years time
    I'd rather see two 30 minite halves if controlled by a timekeeper when the ball is in play. I think stats show that now it's only in play an average of about 20-25 mins (unless South Americans are involved and then its 10)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Sadly, I can see this coming too. Especially as the World Cup will be in the US in 8 years time

    You see it now at international games, seats in the stands empty well after half time because they’re still in the bar.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rotherham
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    You see it now at international games, seats in the stands empty well after half time because they’re still in the bar.
    That’s what extra times for though to let people get drinks before pens are taken

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    That’s what extra times for though to let people get drinks before pens are taken

    Lol yeah, and if they get enough drinks they don’t care who wins the shootout.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •