+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: O/T Question Time

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    But if there is a protest vote who do you think the people would vote for? The remain camp have never stopped moaning and trying to overturn a democratic vote yet you seem to think the leave voters will just think ok we were wrong and accept brexit not happening. In another post you ask who from the right wing is there to vote for and then at the same time say Macron came from nowhere to win the French election, so who knows.
    Old Harold's a week is a long time in politics quote couldn't be more accurate.
    I agree that it is massively naive to imagine Leave voters will just say, oh well, we were stupid and now see that the Remainers know best. But the Macron solution is not possible in the UK because we do not have their type of presidential voting system, with people knocked out in rounds like a talent show.

In France, there always seems to be an election of a president no-one really wants and it was the same with Macron, who only scored just over 20% in the first ballot, the same as the communists and the far right. And then the centre and soft right scared the living daylights out of the rest of the electorate with stories of revolutionaries and racists. It's like when Chirac was elected and people supposedly voted for him with pegs on their noses to see off Le Pen senior.

So now they are stuck with Macron, massively unpopular now and Merkel's poodle. And the irony is, on every issue except immigration, he's far to the right of Marine Le Pen. I think the lesson for us is to beware of the so called centrists, they are wolves in sheep's clothing. I would rather the left or the right who openly state what they stand for. We can then make our choice, for better or for worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-welfare-state

An Odoxa survey last week found just 29% of French people thought his policies were fair.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    Well, Tricky is not the only 'thick' member of the electorate in this speedily downward spiralling Country. I have even gone one step further down your road of mental and intellectual incapacity. As a result of the pathetic and incompetent Tory party and a contemptible and equally incompetent Labour party I have renewed my UKIP membership. This has nothing to do with Farage, rather than my belief that the two party political trap that we are in needs to be broken and if I continue to vote into that system it will just self perpetuate. In the words of Einstein "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." I am fed up with this seemingly inescapable political merry go round and view it as one big con. The politicians are complacent and self preserving, knowing that they will never be replaced as they have the public duped into believing that there is no credible alternative and anything else is a wasted vote. This is an illusion and a lie! Though UKIP may not be the perfect solution it at least provides some alternative as a voice and if the issue of Brexit is fudged, as much as everyone may deride and sneer, UKIP will grow in popularity in the same way it did to force the referendum in the first place. It may never get to government but can be a great influence on the political stage and in some way, maybe achieve the impossible, by keeping serving politicians honest and accountable!
    I agree with pretty much everything you say about the horrors of the two party system, and also agree that neither Conservatives or Labour look capable of forming a competent government. I would also like an alternative party to put my 'X' against, but I find it incredible that anyone could consider UKIP as that alternative. They are a party in a far worse mess than any other, and a hundred times worse than the two main parties. They are riddled with infighting and can't even find a leader to last more than a few months. I also find the notion that they might "achieve the impossible, by keeping serving politicians honest and accountable" laughable. When it comes to feathering your own nest, there's not a lot you could teach Mr Farage.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Second step surely, the first will be to extract himself from whichever of Donald Trump's orifices he's currently occupying.
    I thought Sadiq Khan was using one of them to blow up his balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you say about the horrors of the two party system, and also agree that neither Conservatives or Labour look capable of forming a competent government. I would also like an alternative party to put my 'X' against, but I find it incredible that anyone could consider UKIP as that alternative. They are a party in a far worse mess than any other, and a hundred times worse than the two main parties. They are riddled with infighting and can't even find a leader to last more than a few months. I also find the notion that they might "achieve the impossible, by keeping serving politicians honest and accountable" laughable. When it comes to feathering your own nest, there's not a lot you could teach Mr Farage.
    If as now seems very likely "Brexit" is sabotaged by politicians feathering their own nests I believe that the next election will be full of people thinking much like Tony, the notion that parties like UKIP can "achieve the impossible" might be laughable but they haven't been given the chance YET whereas the main parties have a proven record of ignoring the people who vote for them! my prediction is that any far right party that stands next election will piss it on a protest vote from disgruntled "Brexiteers".

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    my prediction is that any far right party that stands next election will piss it on a protest vote from disgruntled "Brexiteers".
    I would disagree wholeheartedly with your prediction. I accept that there will be millions of very disgruntled voters, but I would be amazed if any far right party got a single seat let alone enough to form a government. This country is undoubtedly in a bit of a mess, but I can't see why anyone would see the far right (or the far left) as a solution to the problems.

I would disagree wholeheartedly with your prediction. I accept that there will be millions of very disgruntled voters, but I would be amazed if any far right party got a single seat let alone enough to form a government. This country is undoubtedly in a bit of a mess, but I can't see why anyone would see the far right (or the far left) as a solution to the problems.
    No way would a far right party be able to form a government but it will be very interesting to see our 17 million pissed off voters react

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    No way would a far right party be able to form a government but it will be very interesting to see our 17 million pissed off voters react
    That 61, is what I said.
    No one doubts that a party like UKIP is ever going to get in power. But out of that 17.4 M a quarter were UKIP voters, who will have backed the Tories to see this through.
    Now they and others will be out to turn over the apple cart.
    Conservatives have gone turn coat, Labour offer nothing, and the Lib Dems want it how it is now.
    Not happening, so they'll do a protest vote, just to **** it up.

Don't respect democracy, it will come back to haunt you.

British politics is about to turn into a frenzy. I'm sure the MP's little pensions and the Lords cushy life make it seem reasonable for them.
    But even the little man has a voice.
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 10-07-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    British politics is about to turn into a frenzy.
    It really isn't. You have to realise that thankfully not everyone thinks your way. The next government will be either Conservative or Labour, and it's quite possible that both parties will have more seats rather than less. The other parties might get a few more votes, but it won't be translated into seats in the Commons. Your voice isn't anywhere near as loud as you think it is.

That post sums up the sheer stupidity of your argument better than I ever could. If as you predict, most of the 17.4 million do something similar we could end up with UKIP ruining (sorry, I meant to type running) the country! We won't of course, because luckily most of the electorate aren't as thick as you. Keep shagging your blow-up Farage doll, it's as close as you'll get to satisfaction.
    I'd sooner vote UKIP than Labour, Tory or Lib Dem.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910