Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
But if there is a protest vote who do you think the people would vote for? The remain camp have never stopped moaning and trying to overturn a democratic vote yet you seem to think the leave voters will just think ok we were wrong and accept brexit not happening. In another post you ask who from the right wing is there to vote for and then at the same time say Macron came from nowhere to win the French election, so who knows.
Old Harold's a week is a long time in politics quote couldn't be more accurate.
I agree that it is massively naive to imagine Leave voters will just say, oh well, we were stupid and now see that the Remainers know best. But the Macron solution is not possible in the UK because we do not have their type of presidential voting system, with people knocked out in rounds like a talent show.

In France, there always seems to be an election of a president no-one really wants and it was the same with Macron, who only scored just over 20% in the first ballot, the same as the communists and the far right. And then the centre and soft right scared the living daylights out of the rest of the electorate with stories of revolutionaries and racists. It's like when Chirac was elected and people supposedly voted for him with pegs on their noses to see off Le Pen senior.

So now they are stuck with Macron, massively unpopular now and Merkel's poodle. And the irony is, on every issue except immigration, he's far to the right of Marine Le Pen. I think the lesson for us is to beware of the so called centrists, they are wolves in sheep's clothing. I would rather the left or the right who openly state what they stand for. We can then make our choice, for better or for worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-welfare-state

An Odoxa survey last week found just 29% of French people thought his policies were fair.