+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: D Day for Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Of course 59/60, we have to make contingency plans, but this is a two way thing. It's not just the UK that has problems if these two sets of morons can't come up with an amicable arrangement for us to continue trading tariff free with each other. The EU is also making contingency plans for their difficulties, but this being done calmly and quietly, no Project Fear on the other side of the Channel.

There have been worries about lorries queues stretching from Dover to London, what about the lorry queues stretching from Calais to Paris, Zeebrugges to Brussels? Not a word.
    The Irish have been saying, incorrectly, that our planes wouldn't be able to use Irish airspace. No mention of the dire impact that would have on Aer Lingus or Ryanair.
    We've been told our planes wouldn't be able to land in EU countries, no mention of the devastating effect this would have on the tourist industries in Greece, Portugal and Spain to name but three.
    We are told there will be a food shortage in the UK, as we import so much of our fruit and veg from the EU. No mention of the devastating impact this would have on the growers and exporters of said fruit and veg in the EU, who depend on the UK market to survive.
    Similar problems for Wine, Champagne and Cognac exporters in France, car manufacturers in France, Germany and Italy, wine exporters in numerous EU countries.
    I could go on and on, this is a two way thing, problems for both the UK and EU. But while the problems for us hit the headlines every day, it's all quiet over there, their problems are never highlighted, no one moans, no one complains, it's all brushed under the carpet.

Which is why it's called Project Fear Mark 2. That's precisely what it is.
    I agree with almost all of that Sinkov! Of course it is a two way problem.
    But, quite rightly, UK businesses, Government and other bodies are concentrating on the effect on our country.
    Everyone knows that EU countries will have to live with the consequences too, but our focus must be on our country.

If the Guardian did a splash piece about the problems of Italian grape growers then I reckon you would be critical of the paper and say, "Bugger the Italians. Why don't they concentrate on UK companies and their problems?"

There will be many European companies drawing up their own contingency plans...who knows? Perhaps some people are accusing them of Project Fear when, in effect, they are trying to minimise the impact of a no deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I agree with almost all of that Sinkov! Of course it is a two way problem.
    But, quite rightly, UK businesses, Government and other bodies are concentrating on the effect on our country.
    Everyone knows that EU countries will have to live with the consequences too, but our focus must be on our country.

If the Guardian did a splash piece about the problems of Italian grape growers then I reckon you would be critical of the paper and say, "Bugger the Italians. Why don't they concentrate on UK companies and their problems?"

There will be many European companies drawing up their own contingency plans...who knows? Perhaps some people are accusing them of Project Fear when, in effect, they are trying to minimise the impact of a no deal.
    No, that's the whole point of my post 59/60, there is no Project Fear in the EU. Just quietly getting on with making contingency plans. Which was also the point of my post about the Irish highlighting our no deal difficulties, while stuffing the IMF report on their difficulties in the back of the drawer. I await a newspaper headline in either the Republic or the UK which says "50,000 Irish jobs to go in the event of no deal". But I won't be holding my breath.

The Doomsday stuff is a creation of the EU with one clear aim.
    Read this
    Juncker buckles to Trump saying the EU stops free trade.
    They agreed to waive tariffs on key US imports. Juncker said I had the intention to make a deal today ....my main aim was to come down to zero tariffs on industrial goods.

Now I wonder how he can’t do the same with us - come to do a deal instead of throwing up barriers and zero tariffs. Is there a customs union with the US.

The EU aim
    They are just desperate to get keep and spend our money by any means possible.

Time for Theresa to take Trumps lead and for Barnier to come to do a deal in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    The Doomsday stuff is a creation of the EU with one clear aim.
    Read this
    Juncker buckles to Trump saying the EU stops free trade.
    They agreed to waive tariffs on key US imports. Juncker said I had the intention to make a deal today ....my main aim was to come down to zero tariffs on industrial goods.

Now I wonder how he can’t do the same with us - come to do a deal instead of throwing up barriers and zero tariffs. Is there a customs union with the US.

The EU aim
    They are just desperate to get keep and spend our money by any means possible.

Time for Theresa to take Trumps lead and for Barnier to come to do a deal in a day.
    What?

Can I remind you that, since we voted to leave, the EU have been waiting for us to come up with our proposals as to how a deal would work.

Two weeks ago, after 2 years of arguing with her own party, Theresa finally presented the EU with her proposal. The EU are currently considering it but initial reaction isn't great. This is also the reaction to it in the UK.

The EU are very keen on doing a deal but it has to be one that works for both parties.
    Theresa's deal seems to work for neither.

The EU have been having erection problems - they keep erecting unnecessary barriers to trade. They don’t need to do so but it’s in their interest. Remember the tactics with Greece!
    Theresa hasn’t done a Trump but that’s what it need. Give us a free trade deal or we are off with our money.
    Last edited by oldcolner; 26-07-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Well, this is what we have all been waiting for.

A Peoples Vote on the deal or no deal.

Gary Lineker speaks!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44957901

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    The EU have been having erection problems - they keep erecting unnecessary barriers to trade. They don’t need to do so but it’s in their interest. Remember the tactics with Greece!
    Theresa hasn’t done a Trump but that’s what it need. Give us a free trade deal or we are off with our money.
    ...and that is what will happen OC.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    No, that's the whole point of my post 59/60, there is no Project Fear in the EU. Just quietly getting on with making contingency plans. Which was also the point of my post about the Irish highlighting our no deal difficulties, while stuffing the IMF report on their difficulties in the back of the drawer. I await a newspaper headline in either the Republic or the UK which says "50,000 Irish jobs to go in the event of no deal". But I won't be holding my breath.
    I am sure that EU companies are only too aware of the repercussions to themselves of a no deal Brexit. That is why they are making contingency plans for it, as we are.

Difference is (as you point out) that in Europe there does not appear to be a rump of the population crying "Project Fear" at them when they point these truths out.

They do not demonise us, as some people here demonise Europe.

On this very thread the EU has been compared to the Nazi party.

What chance do we have of striking a mutually agreeable deal if we are using language like that - both between ourselves and with the EU?

They do not demonise us, as some people here demonise Europe.
    On this very thread the EU has been compared to the Nazi party.

Is that me?
    If so you have a way with twisting things, do you make ropes?
    I compared the principles of leaving Europe to the principles of going to war against the Nazis and the consequences for Europe if we hadn’t. Trade was not an influence on the latter and shouldn’t be in the former if it comes to that crunch. If it does come to that it willl be because of EU intransigence and hurdle building. Why don’t the EU come to do a deal in a day with us but will when someone threatens them. They just want to focus on their agenda not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Well, this is what we have all been waiting for.

A Peoples Vote on the deal or no deal.

Gary Lineker speaks!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44957901
    Thanks for that 59/60, I won't be reading it, but the just fact that you've put the link up has made me smile.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)