+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: D Day for Brexit

Always happy to help Sinkov

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    No, that's the whole point of my post 59/60, there is no Project Fear in the EU. Just quietly getting on with making contingency plans. Which was also the point of my post about the Irish highlighting our no deal difficulties, while stuffing the IMF report on their difficulties in the back of the drawer. I await a newspaper headline in either the Republic or the UK which says "50,000 Irish jobs to go in the event of no deal". But I won't be holding my breath.
    To be fair there is a French Minister in the DT today pointing out the serious problems no deal will cause for France. It's the first such admission I've seen, but, and there's always a but where the EU is concerned, she also points out it will be much, much worse for the UK. And she also gently points out, we don't have to put ourselves and our Gallic neighbours through such agonies, if we ask nicely she is sure the EU will allow us to Remain, and on the same terms.

So kind, so considerate, so reasonable. Expect much more of this from now on. Told you a couple of days ago 59/60 on the betting post, Remain is being trained up for a late run, no expense is being spared in it's preparation, there is still no mechanism currently that will allow us to stay in, but there will be soon. Mark my words.
    Last edited by sinkov; 26-07-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Always happy to help Sinkov
    You're a good man really 59/60, just misguided.

To be fair there is a French Minister in the DT today pointing out the serious problems no deal will cause for France. It's the first such admission I've seen, but, and there's always a but where the EU is concerned, she also points out it will be much, much worse for the UK. And she also gently points out, we don't have to put ourselves and our Gallic neighbours through such agonies, if we ask nicely she is sure the EU will allow us to Remain, and on the same terms.

So kind, so considerate, so reasonable. Expect much more of this from now on. Told you a couple of days ago 59/60 on the betting post, Remain is being trained up for a late run, no expense is being spared in it's preparation, there is still no mechanism currently that will allow us to stay in, but there will be soon. Mark my words.
    Well, Bet 59-60 are still offering odds of 10-1 on Remain Sinkov if you think it is a dark horse...

My money is still on No Deal but the best odds I can get are 2-1 on with Betfair.

You're a good man really 59/60, just misguided.
    The feeling is mutual Sinkov.

Sorry to break up the love in!

The Brexit stalemate continued today as EU negotiator Michel Barnier moved to kill off Theresa May's Chequers plan warning he 'cannot and will not' accept her proposals on customs.

Mr Barnier said he had held 'frank' talks with Britain's new Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab in Brussels.

But he said it would never be acceptable for Britain to collect tariffs on behalf of the EU while running its own trade policy - insisting it would undermine the EU customs union.

The proposal is the centre piece of Mrs May's plans, which have also been lashed by all sides in the UK.

At a joint press conference, Mr Barnier warned: 'To be frank we are not at the end of the road yet.'

In response, Mr Raab said Britain had answered the Commission's concerns 'in detail' and had set out 'ambitious, principled and pragmatic' plans that could be agreed with 'political will'.

He announced there would be weekly meetings from mid-August ahead of the October summit and declared: 'Michel, we have work to do.'

'To be frank we are not at the end of the road yet.'
    That’s code for We will be next week.

Sorry 59 but I can’t wait.

The French are now at it
    Loiseau said a no-deal Brexit would slow down trade relations between the UK and France, Belgium, the Netherlands and 'every entry point to the European Union'.

Asked what it would mean for the Port of Calais, she said: 'On the day of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union with no deal, we should start with new tariffs (and) controls and that means of course traffic jams in Calais and in each and every European port welcoming goods and people coming from the United Kingdom.'

However
    Angela Merkel is said to have become increasingly concerned at the intransigent stance taken by the EU commission

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Sorry to break up the love in!

The Brexit stalemate continued today as EU negotiator Michel Barnier moved to kill off Theresa May's Chequers plan warning he 'cannot and will not' accept her proposals on customs.

Mr Barnier said he had held 'frank' talks with Britain's new Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab in Brussels.

But he said it would never be acceptable for Britain to collect tariffs on behalf of the EU while running its own trade policy - insisting it would undermine the EU customs union.

The proposal is the centre piece of Mrs May's plans, which have also been lashed by all sides in the UK.

At a joint press conference, Mr Barnier warned: 'To be frank we are not at the end of the road yet.'

In response, Mr Raab said Britain had answered the Commission's concerns 'in detail' and had set out 'ambitious, principled and pragmatic' plans that could be agreed with 'political will'.

He announced there would be weekly meetings from mid-August ahead of the October summit and declared: 'Michel, we have work to do.'

'To be frank we are not at the end of the road yet.'
    That’s code for We will be next week.

Sorry 59 but I can’t wait.
    No shocks there OC?

Not many people want the deal in the UK and the EU was never going to agree to it.

Expect Raab to eventually come back with a shopping list from the EU.
    Expect Boris etc rejecting any more concessions.
    Expect a no deal.

Stock up on pies and beer!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    The French are now at it
    Loiseau said a no-deal Brexit would slow down trade relations between the UK and France, Belgium, the Netherlands and 'every entry point to the European Union'.

Asked what it would mean for the Port of Calais, she said: 'On the day of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union with no deal, we should start with new tariffs (and) controls and that means of course traffic jams in Calais and in each and every European port welcoming goods and people coming from the United Kingdom.'

However
    Angela Merkel is said to have become increasingly concerned at the intransigent stance taken by the EU commission
    I think we all realised that, eh?

I was in the RAF in Germany in the 1960s and well remember the days of travelling over the border into Holland where we had to pass through the various controls and had the same when returning.
    Coming back to UK on leave was always fun whether you travelled through Germany, Holland, Belgium or France because you had to go through the various border and customs controls which added time to your journey.
    I would love to see those days come back where everyone travelling to France either by ferry or through the tunnel is subjected to the long delays which would inevitably occur. Just thinking how much traffic used to go across in the 1960s to how much there is now ---the mind boggles..
    It should be great fun.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)