+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: D Day for Brexit

I can assure you that I am not laughing Sinkov. And I won't be laughing in five years when we will all be worse off. Well, most of us.

If you are happy to leave it all to Theresa and the EU then that may be you choice - it certainly isn't mine.

Democracy didn't end in June 2016 you know and this is such a massive decision that we cannot leave it to a Government who are obviously making decisions on party political grounds instead of the future of our country.

It seems like everyone on here is against the deal - yet do not want the opportunity for their opinion to be heard and heeded.

I find this bizzare.

And one of Brexit's main cheerleaders, The Daily Mail, is about to be taken over by Remoaners in the Autumn.

The incoming editor, Geordie Greig (taking over from Paul Dacre) is a staunch Remoaner and, with the owners of the paper also big Remoaners, it will be interesting to see what their new stance will be.

Nick Cohen
    @NickCohen4
    Mail journalist to me last night on the panic the imminent arrival of Geordie Greig is causing: "All the leavers are becoming remainers. It's the only way they can remain in their jobs"

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I can assure you that I am not laughing Sinkov. And I won't be laughing in five years when we will all be worse off. Well, most of us.

If you are happy to leave it all to Theresa and the EU then that may be you choice - it certainly isn't mine.

Democracy didn't end in June 2016 you know and this is such a massive decision that we cannot leave it to a Government who are obviously making decisions on party political grounds instead of the future of our country.

It seems like everyone on here is against the deal - yet do not want the opportunity for their opinion to be heard and heeded.

I find this bizzare.

Theresa May said no deal is better than a bad deal, but the Remoaners in league with the EU have taken away the option of no deal. So a bad deal it is. My opinion was heard once and not heeded, I find it bizarre that anyone thinks it would be heeded the next time.

The referendum question was:

“Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

Now, as we know, leaving the EU WILL happen. But "leaving" meant different things to different people.

Some were happy to have a very soft Brexit, similar to the deal announced last night.
    Others wanted a "Full English Brexit" as proposed by Boris.
    Some would have been happy just to keep foreigners out.
    Etc etc.

So whichever form of Brexit we decide on will have had limited support.

We are leaving the EU. We will be no more in it than Norway is. Do you think Norway is in the EU? (clue...the answer is "No")

Now, once the final deal has been agreed I think it essential that we decide if we like it. Governments come and go, but this will decide our future as a country for generations. It's far too important a decision to leave to a few career politicians.

If we like it, we will vote for it.
    If we don't like it then either;
    A/. We have a complete break from the EU
    B/. We stay in the EU.

Let the people decide otherwise there will be mass unrest in the nation which none of us want. And Corbyn will walk the next election by default.

59-60 So now it’s two referenda to try to get the result you want. How very EU.
    By the the EU will suffer too and is the throes of losing Merkel.

59 you’re making it up to suit your own purposes.
    Leaving means leaving. If you leave home you don’t stay at some level. Your theory is the some remainders might want a soft Brexit, but I doubt many leavers wanted to hang on to any EU apron strings.

OC, you are making a case for a peoples vote here.

If the deal on the table is not what they want, and they don't want to hang on to any EU apron strings, then shouldn't their views be considered by the Government?

The only way we will find out what the people of Britain think about the deal is to ask them and to act on their wishes.

Just like we did with the referendum.

Reminds me of Bob Monkhouse saying people laughed when he said he was going to be a comedian, but they’re not laughing now

OC, I am not trying to overturn the referendum result - I just thing it correct that the people decide.

It seems to me that people on both sides of the argument don't like the deal. That is the majority of the country.

If you are still happy to let our Theresa make whatever decision she likes on this issue, without public support, then you have a different idea of democracy than me.

I reckon that of the 48% that voted to remain almost all of them would not be happy with this deal.

And of the 52% that voted to leave I reckon half of them will be happy with the deal - tops.

So, of the people who voted in the referendum, I estimate about 26% of them would have voted for this deal.

I think we should find out by having a peoples vote. Accept/reject and leave/reject and stay.

Why are you frightened at asking the people? Do you not believe in listening to what the people want? Or is it the case that you realise that there is little public support for a hard Brexit...but want to keep pushing for one anyway?

Corbyn wants an easy exit, that's what we have got.

JC rules OK?

Attachment 10133

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)