+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: D Day for Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The man's ego far exceeds his talent. I have no doubts whatsoever he believes he will end up as Prime Minister.
    There's the very quaint and outmoded idea being floated on this thread that politicians should have principals. Boris has none, my estimate would be that 95% of them certainly have none, and the other 5% are at the very least suspect in that regard. So Boris is just typical of the dross we elect to run the country. But at least we have elected them, and we get the chance to kick them up the backside every five years, unlike the unelected elite who boss us around from Brussels. Do they have principals ? Who knows, who even knows who they are, and would it matter if we did, because we can do nothing whatsoever about them, principals or not.

Strangely, many people who whinge about Boris, who is answerable to the electorate and can be unelected, are quite relaxed about being governed by an unelected, unaccountable, bureaucracy in Brussels, who most clearly do not have the interests of this/their country at heart.

Go figure.

Epitome of a misnomer is that one sinkov, politicians with morals and principals.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    The cabinet have "agreed" (ahem) the deal.

It is certainly "Brexit Lite" but I simply can't imagine that the EU will accept it.

Nor will the hard Brexiteers.

And people like me are wondering how the hell will we be any better off than we are now?

In effect, trade can continue in a similar manner to what it does now but we will have to follow EU regulations. And we will have no say in these rules. We will become a rule taker, not a rule maker.

Given the above, I doubt that there will be much support for it from most of the country. Still, it could have been worse.
    We simply cannot shift the basic premise of the EU's soul: the four pillars of the single European market (the freedom of movement of labour, goods, services and capital) are indivisible and clearly inviolate.

Farage, Johnson and Cove and their band of merry Brexiteers built an entire campaign around the claim that they could change the philosophy, they have now found out they can't!

Where we go from here, God only knows?

I strongly disagree with the idea that 95% of politicians have no principles and the other 5% are suspect.

I have met plenty of principled, decent MP's in my time - and those were just Lib Dems. I am certain that Tory/Labour are the same.

I have found that generally they are just ordinary people who want to make a difference.

Plenty of examples of unprincipled arseholes in Parliament though, and Boris is certainly one.

Some of us think that those four pillars are actually a good thing BT. Don't you?

I really do 1959-60, I'd just rather choose to uphold the philosophy, rather than be told by Brussels this is the tune, just do the dance!

If the EU really wanted a deal why haven’t they made an offer or given options for us to consider?
    They adopt an unhelpful and holier than thou approach that seems to enjoy throwing up hurdles for us to jump only to add a few more.
    No doubt we have yet to arrive at Beechers Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    If the EU really wanted a deal why haven’t they made an offer or given options for us to consider?
    They adopt an unhelpful and holier than thou approach that seems to enjoy throwing up hurdles for us to jump only to add a few more.
    No doubt we have yet to arrive at Beechers Brook.
    One against twenty seven ---why should they offer anything to anyone jumping ship?
    Did anyone ever have a word with those in Greenland who were responsible for them leaving the EU --they may have had a few tips! The mess continues and once we get past Beecher's Brook we will have to see who is in The Chair!

I have met plenty of principled, decent MP's in my time - and those were just Lib Dems.

Ah yes, they will be those principled LibDem MPs who want a second referendum, their principles won't allow them to accept the result of the first one. What more principled act could there be than to accept that the British people have made a decision, and that decision should be respected and acted upon.

LibDem principles eh, you don't like them ? Come inside, I have others. Ask students about the LibDems and principles, straight out the window they go at the prospect of power sharing with the Tories.

Where's the fecking sick-bag.

sinkov --I am with you on your original presumption about all politicians ---and not just in this country!

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)