+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: D Day for Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The Governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, has at last decided to try and knock a bit of sense into the morons in Brussels, explaining to them just what a fecking big hole they're digging for themselves with their intransigence. It's a pity May hasn't been pointing this out to them, instead of flying the white flag over 10 Downing Street. We're run by buffoons for sure, but what these EU morons don't seem to realise, or perhaps they just don't care, is that we're the fifth largest economy in the world, millions of jobs in the EU are dependent on trade with us, if we go down, they go down with us.

"The European Union's financial system will come off worse in a no-deal Brexit, Mark Carney told MPs, as another chaotic day in Parliament threatened to tip Britain closer to a scenario he said would also have “big economic consequences” at home.
    The Governor of the Bank of England warned that the negative consequences on the continent of failure to agree terms would be “cold comfort” for Britain as the City would effectively be cut off from EU.
    Mr Carney gave evidence to the Treasury Select Committee, chaired by leading Remain rebel Nicky Morgan, that the consequence on the continent of no deal would be “extreme fragmentation of the European capital market”.
    “There’ll be a shortage of capital collateral capacity in the EU without question, which will take some time to adjust to”, Mr Carney said.
    The Governor has described Britain as the EU’s banker, and his latest comments follow earlier warnings to Brussels that a drawbridge-style block to trade in financial services could have dramatic consequences.

By contrast he said the UK financial system is well-placed to cope with the immediate aftermath of a no-deal Brexit thanks to efforts made by the Bank to test their readiness."
    But Sinkov, if you think that the EU strategy will result in a hard Brexit, surely you should be applauding them?

After all, that is the outcome that you want?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    But Sinkov, if you think that the EU strategy will result in a hard Brexit, surely you should be applauding them?

After all, that is the outcome that you want?

I don't really understand what you mean by hard Brexit 59/60. I outlined what I expected the government to deliver on another post recently, I'm sure you read it. I would also imagine that, or something very similar, is what 17 million people voted for. It was all perfectly achievable given good faith and co-operation between the UK and EU, but the EU saw Brexit as an existential threat to their grand project, and took the decision to 'punish' the UK, and as far as possible damage our economy, to ensure no other electorate would follow our lead.

I do think some Leave campaigners and voters possibly miscalculated though, they never really took on board the real possibility that the EU would attempt to inflict maximum damage on our economy, no matter the damage it would cause to their own. They expected that the EU would behave rationally and reasonably, but they were sadly mistaken. Possibly had they known they might have voted differently, who knows, I wouldn't but probably some would.

But that's by the by, due to EU intransigence here we are today, all very sad, and all completely unnecessary, but it is what it is.

I thought you wanted a complete break from the EU?

That is still a real possibility - as Farage, Boris and Rees-Mogg will testify.

If we opt for a clean break then the EU will be powerless to do anything about it.

If that is what you really want then ALL of the responsibility lies with our Government for not delivering it.

I thought you wanted a complete break from the EU?

That is still a real possibility - as Farage, Boris and Rees-Mogg will testify.

If we opt for a clean break then the EU will be powerless to do anything about it.

If that is what you really want then ALL of the responsibility lies with our Government for not delivering it.

What I want is irrelevant 59/60, it's what the EU want, and what the numbers in Parliament add up to that count. Who knows how this will play out, one thing is for sure, we could have made a clean break from the EU with minimal disruption, but because of arse-hole politicians this is going to take years to recover from. And you say they have principles ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Yes and that looks likely.
    Re pairing how does that work for liberal MPs and on Brexit. Is it with a Brexiteer .. or a Tory ... or Labour ?
    Confirmation of the fact that the Tory Chairman, who was paied with Jo Swinson, actually voted.

Some info at the link on how pairing works too.

NEVER trust a Tory.

There is only one good Tory, that is a lavatory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44867866

But Sinkov, everyone has a different idea on the type of Brexit they want. You want a clean break, others want trade deals, others don't want Brexit. There is no consensus either with the public or in Parliament.

Yes, we could have had a clean break but the majority of the public and MP's simply don't want one.

Hence the bun fighting.

Thanks 59
    Jo is our MP, that’s purgatory treatment.

Life goes on in spite of what is or isn't happening in Westminster.
    We await decisions from our elected MPs, who seem totally divided and just will not pull in one direction, to achieve what the British public voted for in a democratic vote.
    Meanwhile, in one week's time they will all go on holiday and not worry one jot about the deepening mess which they leave behind and then in just another 8 months we will be out of the EU ----won't we?

All this going on with a background of TPOUS telling the truth, as many Americans stress, however, then backtracking on what he said and saying that that was not what he meant --that has happened twice just this last few days, however, he will not worry about that.

All in all, I think that I shall just get on and do everything I can do to make society better by looking after those less fortunate than myself and those who really believe that politicians have the best interests of their constituents at heart ----and -----life will go on.

I was watching a music programme this morning about the 1980s when the CND were really strong and all the women surrounded Greenham Common, you know, those sort of demonstrations that now have been concentrating on Trump.
    I really don't understand how, with the strength of feeling shown by the CND in their big marches, we still have any nuclear weapons at all, surely the strength of feeling across the world should have seen them banished for ever.

Perhaps we are just pawns in the big game that is played by those running the show and it doesn't really matter what we think or do because they will not listen ---or perhaps I am just a big cynic who just gets on with things, in spite of those running the show.

May saved by 5 Labour rebels Field 43% leave constituency, Hoey 18%, Mann 68%, Stringer 50% and Hopkins 58% on the Customs Union vote. Get ready for local deselection moves.
    Had she lost then a vote of no confidence would have followed and maybe an election if she lost.

12 Tories voted for the CU in defiance of the whip and the election manifesto. 6 were Soubry 52.5% leave, Wollaston 54.1, Sandbach 52.2, Bebb 52, Lee 54, Djangoly(who?) 53.4 from constituencies that voted leave and should have some serious explaining to do back home. Nicky Morgan 50%, Ken Clarke the rebel without a cause 41.4, ringleader Grieve the ringleader with a grievance 49, Neill 49.6, Allen 38.4, steven Hammond 27.3 were the others.

Knife edge week coming up as plans for an early bath are dropped.

But Sinkov, everyone has a different idea on the type of Brexit they want. You want a clean break, others want trade deals, others don't want Brexit. There is no consensus either with the public or in Parliament.

Yes, we could have had a clean break but the majority of the public and MP's simply don't want one.

Hence the bun fighting.
    I want a clean break ? I voted to leave the EU, I've already stated what I, and imo the vast majority of leave voters, think that entails. Most of those points were covered in May's early speeches, setting out what she intended to achieve in the 'negotiations'. Since then she has backtracked and her latest offering is not Brexit, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Others want trade deals ? I would think everyone wants trade deals, but for us to have trade deals we cannot remain in the customs union and single market. Nevertheless, although obviously related, trade deals and leaving the EU are not the same thing. We can leave the EU without negotiating a trade deal with them, although it would be better for both parties if we could.

Others don't want Brexit ? No they don't, and they got the the chance to express that viewpoint in the referendum, unfortunately for them the majority decision was to leave the EU. So if democracy means anything, and our politicians have any principles, they would all be uniting to get us out of the EU. But as I've pointed out before, they have no principles at all, self-interest comes before democracy and we have unedifying spectacle of these toe-rags uniting in an attempt to keep us in the EU.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)