+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: D Day for Brexit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

D Day for Brexit

Today our Government will finally "agree" what form Brexit will take. About time too.

I reckon there will be resignations no matter what the decision is.

It seems to me that most people on here favour the Rees-Mogg version - just have a complete break and go it alone.

Finally Theresa May will have to make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Today our Government will finally "agree" what form Brexit will take. About time too.

I reckon there will be resignations no matter what the decision is.

It seems to me that most people on here favour the Rees-Mogg version - just have a complete break and go it alone.

Finally Theresa May will have to make a decision.

And in the unlikely event there is agreement the EU will say no.

I don't favour one version or another, I just want the government and parliament to honour the pledge it gave before the referendum, to carry out the wishes of the people, and the expressed wish was to leave the EU. The establishment will make sure those wishes are ignored though, we'll end up half out and half in.

Taxis on standby for resigning ministers not a good sign.

The cabinet have "agreed" (ahem) the deal.

It is certainly "Brexit Lite" but I simply can't imagine that the EU will accept it.

Nor will the hard Brexiteers.

And people like me are wondering how the hell will we be any better off than we are now?

In effect, trade can continue in a similar manner to what it does now but we will have to follow EU regulations. And we will have no say in these rules. We will become a rule taker, not a rule maker.

Given the above, I doubt that there will be much support for it from most of the country. Still, it could have been worse.

At least there’s something that can be used for discussions, but like you I’m not sure where it takes us.
    - possibly to EU rejection of any deal.
    If we are a rule taker then that may only apply in trade with the EU. I suspect the EU will soon adopt rules that undermine our services and trade.
    With Trump ramping up Trade Wars who knows what the future holds.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    The cabinet have "agreed" (ahem) the deal.

It is certainly "Brexit Lite" but I simply can't imagine that the EU will accept it.

Nor will the hard Brexiteers.

And people like me are wondering how the hell will we be any better off than we are now?

In effect, trade can continue in a similar manner to what it does now but we will have to follow EU regulations. And we will have no say in these rules. We will become a rule taker, not a rule maker.

Given the above, I doubt that there will be much support for it from most of the country. Still, it could have been worse.
    We simply cannot shift the basic premise of the EU's soul: the four pillars of the single European market (the freedom of movement of labour, goods, services and capital) are indivisible and clearly inviolate.

Farage, Johnson and Cove and their band of merry Brexiteers built an entire campaign around the claim that they could change the philosophy, they have now found out they can't!

Where we go from here, God only knows?

Some of us think that those four pillars are actually a good thing BT. Don't you?

I really do 1959-60, I'd just rather choose to uphold the philosophy, rather than be told by Brussels this is the tune, just do the dance!

If the EU really wanted a deal why haven’t they made an offer or given options for us to consider?
    They adopt an unhelpful and holier than thou approach that seems to enjoy throwing up hurdles for us to jump only to add a few more.
    No doubt we have yet to arrive at Beechers Brook.

May's apparent incompetence simply masked her ulterior motive, to keep us in the EU. She was a Remainer, as was the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Leopards never change their spots.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)