+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: David Vaughan signs

Scraping the barrel a bit with that signing aren't you?
    He must be well over the hill by now.
    Good player in his younger days at Gresty Road though.

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    It wasnt reverse psychology and i am not jealous. I believe that Bishop and Vaughan are of a similar ilk adding experience to the middle.

The Lying Scotsmans approach to transfers was just to waste cash on players with a record of success elsewhere. He did sign good players individually but they never really gelled and our best players lat season were all Adam Murrays signings. So i agree that good players make the managers job easier but it doesnt guarantee anythin. Evans biggest failure was not signing a decent striker.

As for Nolan/flitcroft. The jury certainly is still out after our abysmal end to last season. But flitcroft did beat the spireites and help send them down so that has bought him some time. His signings do seem to be considered and he is looking to address the shortfalls. Nolan hasnt achieved anything as a manager yet whereas flitcroft has got promotion with bury who played excellent football so if it were a choice between flitcroft - a manager who has has success playing nice football, or your unproven longball merchant, id have flitcroft.
    Your post says it all. The jury is out concerning Flitcroff (your words) but I suggest that the vast majority of Notts fans are more than happy with Nolan. As for Nolan hasn't achieved anything, I would argue that taking over a team who had lost 10 consecutive games and looked dead certs for relegation and leading them to easy safety, then into the play-offs the following season is a great achievement in itself, to add to the feel-good factor which Nolan has brought.

Jury out or the most optimistic pre-season for many years. I know which I would rather have.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The usual line that "age is just a number" is rubbish. If it was, most footballers wouldn't be retiring in their 30s and Kevin Nolan would be playing instead of watching.
    It depends on what made them good players in the first place. KN was all action, not a skillful ball player who could put his foot on the ball. And (beer) belly got him after his break from playing. Players who use experience and vision do not reach their sell by date so soon.

wow, i knew there were some threads about us all getting excited in the summer for our promotion season get a load of this for optimism
    i bought into it too i was so sure we were going up, what could possibly go wrong

I would like to revise my post. When I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Good signing if he avoids injury.
    I really meant 'good signing if he remains injured'.

In a season full of disappointments on the playing side, the value for money we got from Vaughan is possibly the biggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I would like to revise my post. When I said:

I really meant 'good signing if he remains injured'.

In a season full of disappointments on the playing side, the value for money we got from Vaughan is possibly the biggest.
    brilliant!! you're as deluded as hardy

Only Notts could go from generating this level of genuine excitement to the garbage that then followed. There are probably similar threads for Enzio (Scoop said he’d swim across the River Trent naked if it came off), Hemmings et al. Vaughan was the most disappointing of all the signings for me, because he literally contributed nothing to the cause. I seem to remember one shot hitting the woodwork against Bury, but other than that - nada.

Would our season have ended differently if we’d signed Bishop instead of Vaughan?

Worst signing ever

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Give it till November Sidn and he's either warming the dug out bench or laying in a hospital bed in the QMC with a poorly knee (bless) then the moaners will be out...Anyway I'm not saying owt else till Durham gives judgement, he's usually spot on (and I mean that most sincerely)...
    This one called it

does any still call him 'vaughney'

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast