+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: David Vaughan signs

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Hardly any comment on Mr Vaughan's advanced years yet Jon Stead (who is two months younger) can hardly escape frequent references to his age.
    Scoop sez it's the best signing in L2, this tranny window. Let's hope we can keep him fit.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...ue-two-1755474

Hardly any comment on Mr Vaughan's advanced years yet Jon Stead (who is two months younger) can hardly escape frequent references to his age.
    Give it till November Sidn and he's either warming the dug out bench or laying in a hospital bed in the QMC with a poorly knee (bless) then the moaners will be out...Anyway I'm not saying owt else till Durham gives judgement, he's usually spot on (and I mean that most sincerely)...

Quote Originally Posted by StagManStan View Post
    Quality signing if he stays fit. Total waste of presumably high wages if/when he gets injured by a standard L2 juggernaut defender.
    Wont play every game i shouldnt think.
    Must be favorites for promotion now though.
    Ah due l detect a note of JEALOUSY there Staggie you had better recruit Frankie Laine.. 😉😆

Think this signing is also exceptional as players like Crawford, Patching and Hewitt will be able to learn so much from Vaughn and Nolan who have played at the highest level. Being around quality professionals can only help these lads progress and hopefully help them fulfil their potential and become first teamers in their own right.

Don’t want to take away what he can offer on the pitch as I’m sure he will be commanding, just hope that he can stay fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Ah due l detect a note of JEALOUSY there Staggie you had better recruit Frankie Laine.. 😉😆
    Possibly reverse psychology? StagsManStan was on here this time last year telling us how much better their signings were compared to ours. He was probably correct, but you don't get any points for impressive signings. Those signings need to play as a team and remain focused and organised. That's largely down to management and we all know what happened to them after the fat jock jumped ship. I won't take anything for granted, but if the choice for manager was between Nolan and Flitcroft, I wouldn't choose Flitcroft.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Possibly reverse psychology? StagsManStan was on here this time last year telling us how much better their signings were compared to ours. He was probably correct, but you don't get any points for impressive signings. Those signings need to play as a team and remain focused and organised. That's largely down to management and we all know what happened to them after the fat jock jumped ship. I won't take anything for granted, but if the choice for manager was between Nolan and Flitcroft, I wouldn't choose Flitcroft.
    Spot on eLite Pie. I dont think we will have any drama with Nolan keeping the team organised as he has proven he can do that already. Whilst Vaughan is a good signing I dont think its a great one as I dont think he will play that much. I dont know what he cost but I am more exicted about our forward line than him and still think we need further strength in midfield as most of the signings come with a question mark over their head in this area i.e young and not proven at this level or old and liable to get tired or injured.

My Forest-supporting mate said he's a cracking player but a bit injury prone. Not sure if these are recurring injuries or not though. It's clear that if he's fit and available, he'll be one of the best footballers we've had for a while. And you'd have to say that a midfield of Thomas-Vaughan-Hewitt-Enzio must be one of the strongest in L2. Then again our forward line must be one of the best as well. Then there's the solid back four...

It will be interesting to see how we cope with the 'favourites' tag. Last season we always had the fact that we had overachieved to fall back on when things didn't work out, but this season anything but promotion will be a failure - a bit like Stags last year.

I'm just looking forward to watching some decent players. Last season was great, but at times it was hard work watching Stead and Ameobi and Noble and Virtue.

Coping with the favourites tag will be key as will believing the hype surrounding all the signings. As Elite said "there are no points for impressive signings" and as a favourite we will be there to be shot at and teams will raise their game. This is where KN and his coaching staff will earn their corn. Getting the team to gel and having plan B and C in place. Personally I think there is enough talent in the squad to change games, especially with a quality bench this year.

It wasnt reverse psychology and i am not jealous. I believe that Bishop and Vaughan are of a similar ilk adding experience to the middle.

The Lying Scotsmans approach to transfers was just to waste cash on players with a record of success elsewhere. He did sign good players individually but they never really gelled and our best players lat season were all Adam Murrays signings. So i agree that good players make the managers job easier but it doesnt guarantee anythin. Evans biggest failure was not signing a decent striker.

As for Nolan/flitcroft. The jury certainly is still out after our abysmal end to last season. But flitcroft did beat the spireites and help send them down so that has bought him some time. His signings do seem to be considered and he is looking to address the shortfalls. Nolan hasnt achieved anything as a manager yet whereas flitcroft has got promotion with bury who played excellent football so if it were a choice between flitcroft - a manager who has has success playing nice football, or your unproven longball merchant, id have flitcroft.

Fair comment.

There's no doubt about Vaughan's quality, especially at this level, but whether it's a good signing or not will depend on how much energy and fitness he has come January and February next year. Jon Stead didn't get injured, and for a 35-year-old he's in excellent shape, but he did look jaded in the second half of the season and his goal output dried up. The usual line that "age is just a number" is rubbish. If it was, most footballers wouldn't be retiring in their 30s and Kevin Nolan would be playing instead of watching.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast