+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many people think Sweden will be a walkover

The truth is we've got better players than Sweden. Of course that doesn't always means winning games. But if both teams turn up and play their best, we'll most likely win.

Sweden aren't an easy opposition, that's for sure. But they aren't particularly tough either. I mean would Seb Larsson get anywhere near the England squad? They'll likely be well organised and disciplined, so it'll be hard to break them down. But if we get an early goal, we should be OK.

I've gone for 2-0 England in my prediction league, but I realise it could just as easily be 1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So many people I talk to who have an interest in the World Cup are already talking about whether Russia or Croatia would be the better opponent in the semis. How deluded, are they?
    Just to give a reality check: the Swedes to a man are delighted that they are playing England in the semis, as they regard them out of the 7 quarter-finalists as the most beatable team.
    As a nation we are so bipolar: either we're a waste of space or just one step from being world champions. As Southgate has inferred: we are neither of these. Furthermore, we're a long way from winning the World Cup. We need to be very lucky three times yet.
    I haven't heard a single person who is of the opinion that this will be a 'walk over'. Expecting us to win yes but anyone with an ounce of football experience, knows that it will not be an easy game.

IF we get to the semis, I'd expect Croatia or Russia to be as stern a test as Sweden.

Regular negative England thread by Sid pre game, no one is claiming we're going to win easily. I, like everyone else, are nervous. Having said that I would rather be playing Sweden than Croatia or Russia for a semi final spot and they're beatable if we play to our strengths with pace upfront. We're the only country who have to appear to be unconfident when in reality we have a really good chance of beating them, they're not Brazil or Belgium and were pretty poor against the Swiss. I just think you post negative threads and then if we lose you can say told you so. You do it with Sterling alot as well, before every game you say you think he's going to be the difference, he never is but on the off chance he does one day actually do something then you can say see told you Sterling would be key.

Change the record mate, no one thinks Sweden will be push overs, we're England fans and all remember how we normally fluff it up. We should still be confident of beating this Sweden team, there's something wrong if we're not.

Only 2-0 but I'd say it was a walkover

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    The truth is we've got better players than Sweden. Of course that doesn't always means winning games. But if both teams turn up and play their best, we'll most likely win.

Sweden aren't an easy opposition, that's for sure. But they aren't particularly tough either. I mean would Seb Larsson get anywhere near the England squad? They'll likely be well organised and disciplined, so it'll be hard to break them down. But if we get an early goal, we should be OK.

I've gone for 2-0 England in my prediction league, but I realise it could just as easily be 1-1.
    Get that man a coconut or goldfish

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Regular negative England thread by Sid pre game, no one is claiming we're going to win easily. I, like everyone else, are nervous. Having said that I would rather be playing Sweden than Croatia or Russia for a semi final spot and they're beatable if we play to our strengths with pace upfront. We're the only country who have to appear to be unconfident when in reality we have a really good chance of beating them, they're not Brazil or Belgium and were pretty poor against the Swiss. I just think you post negative threads and then if we lose you can say told you so. You do it with Sterling alot as well, before every game you say you think he's going to be the difference, he never is but on the off chance he does one day actually do something then you can say see told you Sterling would be key.

Change the record mate, no one thinks Sweden will be push overs, we're England fans and all remember how we normally fluff it up. We should still be confident of beating this Sweden team, there's something wrong if we're not.
    Take no notice of sid, crazyfists, he’ll say anything for a wind-up then forget what he wrote a week later. Poor old sod.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So many people I talk to who have an interest in the World Cup are already talking about whether Russia or Croatia would be the better opponent in the semis. How deluded, are they?
    Just to give a reality check: the Swedes to a man are delighted that they are playing England in the semis, as they regard them out of the 7 quarter-finalists as the most beatable team.
    As a nation we are so bipolar: either we're a waste of space or just one step from being world champions. As Southgate has inferred: we are neither of these. Furthermore, we're a long way from winning the World Cup. We need to be very lucky three times yet.

Rule Britannia.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Rule Britannia.
    He'll be hiding under his Putin flag

I know it was only 2-0 but I thought that was a bit of a walkover, to be honest. Now for the Russkis....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast