+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salute England

That phrase “writing their own history” has been used a lot on the TV and by the England manager in particular, but it’s a bit meaningless.

If they win, lose or even refuse to play they will have made history.

History is inevitable but it might not be recorded or interpreted accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    That phrase “writing their own history” has been used a lot on the TV and by the England manager in particular, but it’s a bit meaningless.

If they win, lose or even refuse to play they will have made history.

History is inevitable but it might not be recorded or interpreted accurately.
    Sometimes certainly not always it's your time , Leicester win the PL , Barnsley get promoted to the PL and Huddersfield have another season at it .

You can't explain it , you can't even make a solid case for it , it's football played by humans which means anything is possble at certain times .

It's best to enjoy these moments in life because they are rare .

Let The Lion Roar

Surprised nobody mentioned the ref who I thought had an excellent game, helped by two teams who were there to play the game rather than 'play games'.

Great synopsis. Well said.

the final is a one off game and anything can happen in it.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Sometimes certainly not always it's your time , Leicester win the PL , Barnsley get promoted to the PL and Huddersfield have another season at it .

You can't explain it , you can't even make a solid case for it , it's football played by humans which means anything is possble at certain times .

It's best to enjoy these moments in life because they are rare .

Let The Lion Roar
    "let the lion roar"

Typical England, one lion doing it's job, the other two just making up the numbers"

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    England are doing well without a doubt and regardless of their unexpected progress it’s been a good tournament.

Teams with a superstar but the rest of the team made up of average players have been found out.

VAR has highlighted that some of the superstars actually depend on diving, rolling and cheating to maintain their hyped up reputations.

The tournament has shown us that the Africa based teams are mainly padding to get more teams in the final.

The tournament has also shown us that thuggery is a major tactic with South American teams

We’ve learnt that listening to the British Brainwashing Corporation advice on what Russia is like was a mistake

We’ve learnt that the old guard TV pundits are still boring but the politically correct move to include more women wasn’t any better.

We still don’t know how VAR works, or what is or isn’t offside and whether or not a keeper is allowed to rush off his line to save a penalty

We’ve seen when Japan played that you can gain respect and admiration of millions by just playing honest football and having a go without diving.

We’ve been reminded that an England team of young lads wanting to put a shift in and that have pride in wearing the shirt is better than going through the motions with old war horses like Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Terry

We’ve learnt that given a catalyst the nation can pull together, be happy and generally survive the miserable dross the media usually feeds us.

Is it coming home?

Maybe, just maybe.
    Spot on Grist!

Why is that when we do better than expected people either devalue the tournament or say that we've not beaten anyone? We knocked out Columbia who used every trick in the book to stop us. We have beaten Sweden who topped a group containing Germany and Japan, who incidently ran Belgium very close.

Stay calm take every game as it comes and see where we are by next Sunday.

Really enjoy watching this young England side - Southgate and his team have done so very well so far. The “no surrender spirit” is there for all to see

Is it me, and forgive if somebody else has mentioned this in another thread, but does anybody else see any similarities in the way Gareth Southgate and Paul Warne conduct themselves? In terms of interviews, team spirit, work ethics etc. I think they're similar, or maybe I'm way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemiller Mollis View Post
    Is it me, and forgive if somebody else has mentioned this in another thread, but does anybody else see any similarities in the way Gareth Southgate and Paul Warne conduct themselves? In terms of interviews, team spirit, work ethics etc. I think they're similar, or maybe I'm way off the mark.
    I wrote this on another thread:

"A lot of parallels between Warney and Southgate...both took over the job reluctantly, and in a caretaker role, after unexpected departure of incumbent manager after a short period. Both eventually persuaded to take the job on full time. Both doing well. Both got beards."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast