+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Salute England

Yes I'd agree with both of you on that one.

Both ex players and both come up the ranks within their organisations and stepped in to fill a gap when others left.
    There are similarities on how their respective teams vastly improved over a short period of time as well.
    Well liked by players media and fans

PW needs an M&S waistcoat though or he will get left behind

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Is there any reason why we can't now go on and win it ?

Absolutely not .

Are we the best team in the world ?

No we aren't .

We could just have enough and have a slice of lady luck to be the team still left in this tournament that can win it .

That's all this tournament is , survival , attrition , lady luck and momentum .

To find the best side side in the world you'd have to play 38 games each season home and away against country's like Argentina , Brazil , Mexico , Spain , Germany , Italy , Holland etc etc to find the true champion of the world .

It's 4 weeks and 7 matches max .

Let The Lion Roar
    The current world rankings are based on the games played, of which some are friendlies. You are right that in 7 games the winners can come from possibly not the best team. I have heard the term "World Class" bandied about a bit. What does this mean? If teams have 3, 4 or 5 very good players then they would probably be regarded as a good team. If on the other hand these players deliver during a tournament then the term "World Class" may, and I say may be relevant. England are currently having at least 5 players who are performing well in a team environment and hopefully this will continue. Can anyone say who had a bad game yesterday?

And if we win some will say we were lucky. The grass is not always greener

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemiller Mollis View Post
    Is it me, and forgive if somebody else has mentioned this in another thread, but does anybody else see any similarities in the way Gareth Southgate and Paul Warne conduct themselves? In terms of interviews, team spirit, work ethics etc. I think they're similar, or maybe I'm way off the mark.
    Definite similarities. Get young impressionable players on your side in a system that they can understand, get a few results so they have confidence in you and here we go.

PS The Millers will stay up n'all.

Incredible how a successful national football team can unite the country. Don't usually watch the games in a public place, prefer to study the match closer. But, yesterday, the joy in the pub I frequented, was a sight to behold.
    Still don't understand the connection between the result and eight German bombers and the 'English' RAF.

Apologies Lasterman, my head's been out of the game recently and not been on much, probably why I missed the other thread. sCORaFU, it's amazing what the right balance of youth, experience and belief will bring.

Is it me, and forgive if somebody else has mentioned this in another thread, but does anybody else see any similarities in the way Gareth Southgate and Paul Warne conduct themselves? In terms of interviews, team spirit, work ethics etc. I think they're similar, or maybe I'm way off the mark.
    think PW commented in a ifollow interview how england are doing it the rotherham way

I think whoever is saying that there are no world class teams in this tournament are talking out their arris.

As with any other world cup you can mention you can only beat whoever is put in front of you.

Come on England!

spot on flower

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I think whoever is saying that there are no world class teams in this tournament are talking out their arris.

As with any other world cup you can mention you can only beat whoever is put in front of you.

Come on England!
    Sweden got out of a group with the last world cup winners in it, Columbia qualified in a slightly easier group but still finished top. Croatia have some very good players but have been pushed all the way in the last 2 games by supposedly lesser teams. There are no easy games in a world cup. We have beat wot has been put infront of us. With a young inexperienced squad we are in a world cup semi final!!. This has been a tournament of shocks and we have been constant barring one game we did not want to win. I'm proud of them and hope they have enough to get over the line and give us a chance in the final. Come on lads we can do it!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmiller View Post
    spot on flower
    cheers petal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234