+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: England v Croatia positive vibes thread

If Kane takes that gift in the 1st half it’s game over right there 2-0. They were on the ropes. Second half different story. It was nailed on they were going to equalise. There was no one to hold the ball up front.

We had no one in midfield to hold the ball. When we attacked we quickly lost possession and they controlled the middle.

We looked cream crackered after 60 minutes and following Sterling getting subbed they had no width whatsoever.

We had one real chance in extra time at 1-1 when they cleared it off the line but after that there was a certain inevitability about the result and so it proved.

Yes we did well to get to the semis but when the players look back on this night they will feel that they have missed a great opportunity. Croatia were not a good side and it should have been 3-0 at half time and, unfortunately when Kane had the opportunity to elevate himself into the hero’s category, he didn’t bring his shooting boots, and unfortunately him and a good number of players looked as though the tournament had caught up with them.

Like someone said earlier I think France will win at a canter.

Well done England for getting so far but this really was a missed opportunity for immortality along with the boys of 66 who I had the privilege to watch them win the World Cup all those years ago.

Cudda wudda shudda and if only’s.
    That is how very thin the line is between good and great.

Best since 1990 though and far better than nearly everyone thought at the start of the tournament.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 11-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    I am found of a few of his cakes.
    Gutted and really gutted. They changed there shape and we just did not cope with it, we reverted to old with the long ball and gave away possession too easily with the long ball. They are young and switched off, not sure if the injury that trippier had ment he did not jump to challenge the header and stones is young and switched off for a second and that costs us. Kane had a off day and if he was on it we could have been 3-0 at half time, I don't blame him it's all experience. Happy they gave us pride this year just wish we could have took this massive opportunity. If we can unearth a creative midfield player in the next 4 years we have a chance to go one step further.

Quote Originally Posted by ThryberghMILLER23 View Post
    Gutted and really gutted. They changed there shape and we just did not cope with it, we reverted to old with the long ball and gave away possession too easily with the long ball. They are young and switched off, not sure if the injury that trippier had ment he did not jump to challenge the header and stones is young and switched off for a second and that costs us. Kane had a off day and if he was on it we could have been 3-0 at half time, I don't blame him it's all experience. Happy they gave us pride this year just wish we could have took this massive opportunity. If we can unearth a creative midfield player in the next 4 years we have a chance to go one step further.

Injuries? Maybe but we had a squad of 23

What now? An announcement that Dele Alli was carrying an injury from the opening game?

If so, why was he picked for every game?

Still say that our downfall is down to us not playing anybody decent until now. The croatians were the only reasonably decent side we have played competitively for years. Its like Rotherham thrashing a set of pub teams in their pre season friendlies this season and then thinking they can do the same in the championship.

The only consolation is that if we had got to the final we would have had heartbreak because there is no way we would have beaten France and nor will Croatia. They are a class above everyone in the tournament this year. its been an entertaining world cup but class wise it has been poor. The so called big stars of the world have been piss poor and well past their sell by date.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 11-07-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Another positive note, as ambassadors for England the squad did well.

None of that “dentist’s chair” crap and embarrassing WAGs stories.

Well done boys, fly the flag with pride

Positive note for me, game ends and straight off the TV and back to Judge Judy et al. Don't have to endure the endless analysis and wailing. Won't see or hear anything about it until I watch the losers game on Saturday if I can be bothered to get up at 6am

Another good point is that England going this far has stopped the BBC swamping us with Wimbledon tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Still say that our downfall is down to us not playing anybody decent until now. The croatians were the only reasonably decent side we have played competitively for years. Its like Rotherham thrashing a set of pub teams in their pre season friendlies this season and then thinking they can do the same in the championship.

The only consolation is that if we had got to the final we would have had heartbreak because there is no way we would have beaten France and nor will Croatia. They are a class above everyone in the tournament this year. its been an entertaining world cup but class wise it has been poor. The so called big stars of the world have been piss poor and well past their sell by date.
    Bit harsh Roly. I don't think Sweden were anymore pushovers than the other 16 teams in the later stages. We had raw ability to set ourselves into a fantastic position to put it to bed but lacked the class and cutting edge to do so, and in the end their class players with that extra experience made the difference.

Proud that we fit this far but more importantly we have started to play in the right way that we can now build on, passing through the team and pressing up top. Promising signs of we build on it, no reason why we can't compete with the best. But we need to build up the experience and keep that team focus, not superstar individuals.

Well done England. Something to build on.

We had no subs left at that time so how could he do anything different with the squad at that time. We did well in first half tacticaly and experience did us. Ali was decent st times today. It happens and we get over it and try again

Agree we will benefit from this set back and should get better Pup. Not so sure about Sweden. Ok sweden better than a "pub team" but have always been also rans ln my opinion. I still think us beeing seeded as a top team doesnt help our cause.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast