+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A H twitter

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    As soon as promotion from L1 is secured, find a buyer asap. Though he'd probably be tempted to give it a go himself for one season. Burton and Rotherham are examples of smaller clubs who can stay up at that level, but the 2nd season is usually fatal and once you look like a club hanging on for dear life rather than one on an upward trajectory, you're not going to be able to sell it to somebody with the cash to seriously compete.
    Do you think he would let it go?
    Or would he be as stubborn as RT?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I get that ancient, but it still doesn't answer the questions.
    I know how Forest are doing it, how is AH going to do it?
    AH long, long ago stated clearly and openly that he had budgeted to support Notts competing in the Championship but to go beyond that into the Prem was beyond him financially. I have no idea of the details of his budget, of course, but that was his stated position.

As soon as promotion from L1 is secured, find a buyer asap. Though he'd probably be tempted to give it a go himself for one season. Burton and Rotherham are examples of smaller clubs who can stay up at that level, but the 2nd season is usually fatal and once you look like a club hanging on for dear life rather than one on an upward trajectory, you're not going to be able to sell it to somebody with the cash to seriously compete.
    There may be some practical sense in what you say, upthemaggies, but AH is no nobody's fool when it come to managing his businesses and he may see Notts County as another one of them except he knows this one will never show a profit. On the other hand, of course, he may just see Notts as his toy or hobby in which case he'll just carry on spending. He has already admitted that he will need some help financially were we to achieve Championship status, so he might be willing to share his toy.

Why you think he won't be able to sell doesn't really follow logic unles you're thinking AH might cut his losses and cash in while there is something left to sell, but if a club is looking like it is going nowhere, a la Trew ownership, the people most likely to buy would be ones with the cash to invest, otherwise why buy?

Ok, now that is an interesting comparison. Has AH got pockets deep enough to sustain Notts in the championship?
    It will cost enough just to get there.
    But compete on the same level?
    You have to be looking for a turnover of a minimum 10M a year just to survive.
    What about ticket prices?
    £30- £40 A GAME.
    Will fans pay it?
    They give away season tickets and match tickets for peanuts at the moment, just to get bums on seats.
    This area only has a catchment of a certain amount of supporters as does other cities.
    At the moment, NFFC have approx 20k season ticket holders. You aint going to attract them.

So where will he get the cash?

Serious question.
    He's previously gone on the record as saying that ( in the unlikely event) if we reached he would need either a backer or to sell to someone with more cash. he's been quite upfront about it. It's clear to me it is do or die this season for Notts.

Forest fans don't like it?

Where the hell did that come from?

If you hadn't noticed, we've spent a fortune this summer and still are not finished.
    It makes AH's comments of "we'll be in the same division soon" look laughable.
    Sorry CF, but the average NFFC fan isn't in the slight bit worried about AH and his plans.
    As far as catching up goes, he has a marathon to run.
    I'm afraid this is true. Forest have spent over £20 million this pre-season in their attempt to do a Wolves. Their wage bill must be immense compared to ours. If we ever made it to the Championship, we'd most likely be like Burton - perhaps we'd survive for a year or two, but eventually we'd drop down due to the simple fact that we can't compete financially. To make it that league you need megabucks, not just a wealthy local owner. Still, it would be an awesome journey!

Also, I think Forest fans would get a bit twitchy if we joined them one day. All this 'I've always liked Notts' thing would fall away, just like it did when we played them in the league cup a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    He's previously gone on the record as saying that ( in the unlikely event) if we reached he would need either a backer or to sell to someone with more cash. he's been quite upfront about it. It's clear to me it is do or die this season for Notts.
    He has said he can't take us BEYOND the Championship. I don't recall him ever saying he can't sustain the Championship. The main risk to this season is how AH will react if things don't go his way, otherwise don't see why it's "do or die", bit melodramatic even for a queenie.

We could survive in the Championship, other small but well run clubs have. People are too hung up on gates, looking back to what happened under Dunnett 35 years when Forest were winning European Cups. The finances are totally different now and selling tickets is just one component of clubs' finances. The higher up the pyramid you go, the less important that revenue stream becomes, because you get paid just for existing at that level. Wigan in the Prem were selling tickets for less than we were under Trew.

At this stage I think Notts have got more chance of going up than Fword have. League Two looks weaker than it did last season, the Championship is always tough but it may now be even tougher. You'd have to fancy Villa to finish above Fword, then you've got Stoke and West Brom whilst Derby seem buoyed by the prospect of Lampard coming in. Maybe Fword will have their best season in quite a while but I think there is a very reasonable chance that the gap between us and them will be reduced to one division this time next year and obviously things will then become much more interesting.
    You really think that Derby are 'buoyed' after losing a manager who kept getting them in the top six and replacing him with a pundit?
    The Rams I speak to at work aren't. They've got to slash expenditure and have an ageing team on high wages.
    A couple of them have actually said they're impressed at what's happening at Forest.
    Praise from Caesar indeed.
    The Leicester fan is still a **** though - he hates it when I ask if his club has paid for that stadium yet. He just does a guppy impression.
    I asked him what he thought of the comment during the Sweden game when the commentator said 'the big clubs will be coming for Maguire'.
    He sulked, much like Lineker probably did.

I think lower half Championship is a perfectly attainable goal under AH, the point he’s made is that we’d need further investment to make more progress than that.

F00k Forest, they’re a joke club owned by a suspected criminal who will probably be locked up by the time they inevitably mess it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    He has said he can't take us BEYOND the Championship. I don't recall him ever saying he can't sustain the Championship.
    Is the correct answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast