+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Chavs

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    It was common in the 60's and 70's to have black people nicknamed 'chalky', it was not intended as an insult, in fact, in my day, the assignation of a nickname, was usually a term of endearment.
    It's not really upto you if think sooty is a loveable nickname, it's upto the black person you're calling it. If they don't mind being called sooty then that's upto them, I just don't know any of my mates who would like being called sooty, they'd probably knock you out as they'd find it racist. My mate says why does it always have to be about colour anyway, they're just like anyone else but you don't go round calling your white mates honky, cracker or your personal call to arms gammon do you (infact you get rather mad if someone calls you gammon as above posts indicate) but when it's someone of colour instead of just saying you ok mate you want to say hi sooty or hi chalky, it's plain weird and a complete double standard.

Not so humble - why would calling someone ginger be homophobic?
    And no Greg Dyke shouldn't change his name but if those are your level of debate I'll leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    It's not really upto you if think sooty is a loveable nickname, it's upto the black person you're calling it. If they don't mind being called sooty then that's upto them, I just don't know any of my mates who would like being called sooty, they'd probably knock you out as they'd find it racist. My mate says why does it always have to be about colour anyway, they're just like anyone else but you don't go round calling your white mates honky, cracker or your personal call to arms gammon do you (infact you get rather mad if someone calls you gammon as above posts indicate) but when it's someone of colour instead of just saying you ok mate you want to say hi sooty or hi chalky, it's plain weird and a complete double standard.

And no Greg Dyke shouldn't change his name but if those are your level of debate I'll leave it there.
    The original bone of contention on this post was is calling someone Gammon any different to Sooty. It isn't except in our conditioned minds that tell us that Sooty is wrong and Gammon isn't. The whole thing proves what a massive oxy moron racism can be when applied selectively.
    Last edited by queenslandpie; 14-07-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Keys sticking due to beer spilt on keyboard

If someone calls you gammon and you find it offensive then they shouldn't call you it I agree. There is a difference though between a white person calling another white person gammon and a white person calling a black person sooty. That's all I've got to say on the matter as every so often there's a thread on here where people try and justify being racist and it's wrong whether they care to admit it or not. Hope all the White, Black and Asian people on this messageboard have a good weekend, enjoy the heatwave

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The original bone of contention on this post was is calling someone Gammon any different to Sooty. It isn't.
    Yes it is, because Gammon refers largely to a mindset, whereas Sooty refers exclusively to skin colour.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post

No I don't and for the ump****th time, I just find it to be a double standard.

Gammon as a term is intended as a description of colour, I don't see how that can be argued against so is therefore a racist term IMHO. I agre with you that 'Sooty' is not a flattering thing to say to a black person but neither is describing a white person as Gammon.

No I don't and for the ump****th time, I just find it to be a double standard.

Gammon as a term is intended as a description of colour.
    No it isn't. It's intended to describe a typical irate anti EU, anti PC, right wing bigot. The reference to face colour is because they go that shade due to their anger and outrage at the way their world has gone. Only a very weird person would see racism in there.

If someone described you as 'red-faced' with anger would you take it as a racial slur?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    No it isn't. It's intended to describe a typical irate anti EU, anti PC, right wing bigot. The reference to face colour is because they go that shade due to their anger and outrage at the way their world has gone. Only a very weird person would see racism in there.

If someone described you as 'red-faced' with anger would you take it as a racial slur?
    So you're saying that if a similar term in which a race of people were compared to a cut of pork, were used, that ethnic group would not take offence? We're living in a World where white people are attacked (verbally) for having their hair braided yet black people are ok with having theirs straightened.

I'm ok with a certain level of political correctness but it has to be applied evenly.

Gammon refers specifically to older white males. Therefore not only is it racist, it is ***ist and ageist. Pretty good going for one word

Quote Originally Posted by salmagundi View Post
    Gammon refers specifically to older white males. Therefore not only is it racist, it is ***ist and ageist. Pretty good going for one word
    Completely agree and I've said exactly the same previously.

So you're saying that if a similar term in which a race of people were compared to a cut of pork, were used, that ethnic group would not take offence? We're living in a World where white people are attacked (verbally) for having their hair braided yet black people are ok with having theirs straightened.

I'm ok with a certain level of political correctness but it has to be applied evenly.
    The term 'Gammon' is simply a piss-take. I suppose if you're talking about double standards then anyone who sees it as racist is equally as stupid as those who suggest it's wrong to put Christmas lights up in case it offends other religions. I prefer to treat both with the contempt they deserve rather than get worked up about it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast