+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Owd Chien dismantaling OGC Nice team

I think you have to look at Nice's position with a bit of perspective SB .

They aren't historically one of the bigger and more successful French clubs and possibly over achieved when they secured CL football .

They are competing with PSG , Marseille , Monaco , Lyon and Bordeaux etc who are all historically bigger clubs with better histories .

All the better players are likely to be drawn towards those clubs before Nice I'd imagine and the academy seems to be the way they are hoping to compete .

If Burnley don't achieve EL football for next season it's a bit like saying they are in decline which isn't necessarily the case because the reality is Burnley over achieved last season in my opinion .

Good point Animal.

My interest in OGC Nice arose, as you may remember, when the hype in the PR Statements at the time of the Oakwell takeover contained spin about how Chien already being a football success because "he had transformed OGC Nice into a top club in France taking them to Champions League status playing in a state of the art ground". My Pillaker Antenna were twitching and, seeking to add balance, subesquent research found them already having the core of the squad in place and the Allianz Riviera Area already having been built for the Euro 2016. Research into their Accounts saw that Chien was subsequently selling the best players each season to balance the books with cheaper replacements coming in. The result has been an inevitable decline in football fortunes to one of the also rans in France.
    Chien was not the wonder person that transformed OGC Nice. It has declined under his watch. Hopefully the same will not happen here. His regime has begun with Morais and a relegation so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Good point Animal.

My interest in OGC Nice arose, as you may remember, when the hype in the PR Statements at the time of the Oakwell takeover contained spin about how Chien already being a football success because "he had transformed OGC Nice into a top club in France taking them to Champions League status playing in a state of the art ground". My Pillaker Antenna were twitching and, seeking to add balance, subesquent research found them already having the core of the squad in place and the Allianz Riviera Area already having been built for the Euro 2016. Research into their Accounts saw that Chien was subsequently selling the best players each season to balance the books with cheaper replacements coming in. The result has been an inevitable decline in football fortunes to one of the also rans in France.
    Chien was not the wonder person that transformed OGC Nice. It has declined under his watch. Hopefully the same will not happen here. His regime has begun with Morais and a relegation so fingers crossed.
    I personally think Goathair bears the responsibility for the appointment of Morais SB as I don't believe Chien gets involved in that part of the business .

There's no argument the relegation occurred under the new owners but the root causes are owned by the previous regime who took considerable money out of the club and failed to re-invest sufficiently at championship level .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I personally think Goathair bears the responsibility for the appointment of Morais SB as I don't believe Chien gets involved in that part of the business .

There's no argument the relegation occurred under the new owners but the root causes are owned by the previous regime who took considerable money out of the club and failed to re-invest sufficiently at championship level .
    I agree Goat was the main man who headhunted Morais. To avoid taking full responsibility this time he made sure there was a comment this time when Stendel came that" all the owners were in agreement" to cover his back. I pointed it out at the time.

I still believe if a half decent manager had been appointed in January we would have stayed up.

I think the rot had already set in . It wasn’t a good enough side to play in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I think the rot had already set in . It wasn’t a good enough side to play in the Championship.
    Hecky said the same pre season when he saw the hand Goat had dealt him. McBurnie and Moore added a bit more in January.

Don’t think it’s GG who picks all the signings , as Cryne said it wasn’t Mansfords job so doubt it’ll be GGs

Goat said himself how the Spreadsheet system of recruitment works a few weeks ago and it was outlined on here. In summary-

1 Coach establishes a Player Profile of the kind of player he would like

2 Profile inputted into Spreadsheet which throws up ten matching names ( bit like a dating website )

3 Goat analyses which are possible financially

4 Three names presented to Coach

5 Coach priorities the order

6 Goat tries to get them in

There was no comment on what happens if the Coach doesn't fancy any of the three. Goat got many of the midfield players and we ended up with an unbalanced squad. The lack of getting strikers in and the McBurnie fiasco in the summer didn't help.

When we have a balanced squad we do well. When we are top heavy in any position or light in another we struggle. 2008/9 under Davey we needed strikers and waited all summer for Garry Teale and Andy Gray to sign. We were overloaded with midfielders and made poor signings in Colace and Mounir.

2009/10 we signed Iain Hume and again were light up top, were ****e lost three of out first four matches and Davey was sacked and Robins saved our season.

2013/14 we were too heavily reliant on O'Grady and waited all summer to sign him. We were relegated because we didn't break up the 2012/13 squad. Last season we had the players and decided to play with two holding midfielders which unbalanced the squad and we were relegated.

This season we're unbalanced again. We are two wingers short and one striker short. I hope it doesn't bite us.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Goat said himself how the Spreadsheet system of recruitment works a few weeks ago and it was outlined on here. In summary-

1 Coach establishes a Player Profile of the kind of player he would like

2 Profile inputted into Spreadsheet which throws up ten matching names ( bit like a dating website )

3 Goat analyses which are possible financially

4 Three names presented to Coach

5 Coach priorities the order

6 Goat tries to get them in

There was no comment on what happens if the Coach doesn't fancy any of the three. Goat got many of the midfield players and we ended up with an unbalanced squad. The lack of getting strikers in and the McBurnie fiasco in the summer didn't help.
    Yes , like I said GG doesn’t pick the proposed signings the spreadsheet does and recruitment team . If all 10 on the spreadsheet are crap then the spreadsheet isn’t working . The McBurnie deal was the big factor for me last season.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123