+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bielsa resigns

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Never mind the quality and common sense, just appreciate the b0ll0x.

Seriously though we're doing the same at the moment, little or no signings so far and it doesn't send out good signs this late on in the pre season does.

Agreed..lack of quality signings makes yer think its gonna be a long hard season..kinda squashes the enthusiasm a bit.
    Yer just hoping the club will surprise you with a few marquee signings before season starts..won't be holding my breath on that

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Agreed..lack of quality signings makes yer think its gonna be a long hard season..kinda squashes the enthusiasm a bit.
    Yer just hoping the club will surprise you with a few marquee signings before season starts..won't be holding my breath on that
    Seriously, what is a "marquee signing" apart from getting a tent from Andrassys?

I said in a different thread that I feared that all the cash had been spent getting Bielsa in, and that AR and his mates were hoping Bielsa could work miracles with largely the same group of senior players we had last season. And as per WTF has said, there is clearly something there to work with. I think the disappointment is that with Bielsa, the existing decent players we have, plus four or five other quality signings we would surely be genuine contenders, and it's frustrating that this opportunity may be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    I said in a different thread that I feared that all the cash had been spent getting Bielsa in, and that AR and his mates were hoping Bielsa could work miracles with largely the same group of senior players we had last season. And as per WTF has said, there is clearly something there to work with. I think the disappointment is that with Bielsa, the existing decent players we have, plus four or five other quality signings we would surely be genuine contenders, and it's frustrating that this opportunity may be lost.
    Every single Leeds fan knows for a fact we need strengthening with quality. I dont believe there is one single fan in the world who thinks that the squad we have is good enough for promotion...but the owners do...!?
    I actually believe we will get a couple of good signings in very soon but i am worried we will fall way short again and cannot understand the planning from the gaffers other than making money from hopeful amd dedicated supporters...which is very sad.
    I feel we will get a lift soon but it wont be enough to challenge come the end of the season.

Frustrating as it is will have to wait and see.

There are some positives; Bielsa, moving on some players to make the squad leaner, resigning Pearce .....

but there is not a lot the club can do if players want to sign elsewhere or get greedy.

Looks like Hernandez has his eyes on a bigger league elsewhere.

Would prefer Marriott to Vydra.

Bartley would be good but suspect he is better in a back 4 not a back 3.

Blackman should be signed on loan this week by all accounts. That then leaves by my reckoning a CB a forward and probably a left footed winger but who knows what Bielsa has seen in training. 3313 also means you can use midfielders elsewhere so that may be coming into the thinking too. Is Klich back and in training?

Villa have said Grealish, Kodija and Chester can leave so maybe we may get one of those but we have no inside info so who knows ....

Good to see WTF's positivity but I have to disagree on how few he thinks we need - yes a keeper, definitely, but we need at least a striker who can score goals - not a target man, just a forward who is comfortable up front all the time and who knows where the goal is with variety in his play. We only have Roberts at the moment and he's untested for us - the rest of our forwards are either wide men or attacking midfielders.

We also need better players than the ones mentioned who did ok last year - Allioski, Saiz, etc. One or two of them staying as squad players or even starters would raise their game, but the rest need replacing with quality.

So we need:

* GK
    * CB at least one - Janssen likely to go but even if he stays he and the others we have aren't good enough
    * CM
    * Striker.
    * consistent wide players - one each side - if Saiz or Allioski can improve and stay consistent then so be it - but can we take that chance given their problems at times with temperament, effort and form last year?

I think we're ok at full-back/wing-back, have decent back-up centre-mids (Viera will continue to develop and should be first team all year and hopefully Baker or Forshaw will fill the gaps), number 10 in Hernandez, Saiz or when they're not available Roofe.

I think this is where we are:

GK

RCB Ayling
    CCB maybe Janssen but not good enough on the ground/distribution
    LCB - maybe Pearce but not ideal

RWB
    LWB
    CM - Viera
    CM - Forshaw/Baker
    CM

F Roberts/Hernandez
    F

So I think about 5 are needed.

Lol as if.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Good to see WTF's positivity but I have to disagree on how few he thinks we need - yes a keeper, definitely, but we need at least a striker who can score goals - not a target man, just a forward who is comfortable up front all the time and who knows where the goal is with variety in his play. We only have Roberts at the moment and he's untested for us - the rest of our forwards are either wide men or attacking midfielders.

We also need better players than the ones mentioned who did ok last year - Allioski, Saiz, etc. One or two of them staying as squad players or even starters would raise their game, but the rest need replacing with quality.

So we need:

* GK
    * CB at least one - Janssen likely to go but even if he stays he and the others we have aren't good enough
    * CM
    * Striker.
    * consistent wide players - one each side - if Saiz or Allioski can improve and stay consistent then so be it - but can we take that chance given their problems at times with temperament, effort and form last year?

I think we're ok at full-back/wing-back, have decent back-up centre-mids (Viera will continue to develop and should be first team all year and hopefully Baker or Forshaw will fill the gaps), number 10 in Hernandez, Saiz or when they're not available Roofe.

I think this is where we are:

GK

RCB Ayling
    CCB maybe Janssen but not good enough on the ground/distribution
    LCB - maybe Pearce but not ideal

RWB
    LWB
    CM - Viera
    CM - Forshaw/Baker
    CM

F Roberts/Hernandez
    F

So I think about 5 are needed.

Lol as if.
    We.agree to differ, I think.

Some.of the senior.players from last season were misused, and expected on occasion to pull us out of difficult situations of our own making. You would hope Bielsa won't make similar mistakes.

We have players that fit into most if not all of the positions you mention. As for a target man up front, not sure Bielsa formation choice needs that, we will see.

BPF, Ayling, Berardi, Jansson, Forshaw, Pierce, Hernandez, Vieira, Baker, Hernandez, Alioski, Saiz, Roberts(?), then 3 - 4 from the U23s ( I personally wouldn't have sent Denton or O'Connor out on loan, they are good enough for the Champonship).

No spare flesh, dependence on players staying fit/playing through injuries, what's new about that?

Siege mentality, us against the world, it's worked before, it can work again.

we were awful good the first 3 months of last year and that's factoring in Felix who was an adventure every time the ball came in the box.

we will also likely pick up some very solid loan players due to the biesla connection. Players that we never would have gotten on loan in the past.

if he's the magician that some people say he is coaching wise no reason why we can't contend with just a couple of quality signings.

I do agree with WTF's thoughts on "siege mentality". we've run into quite a few teams on the championship that have limited squads and budgets and handle us well. the synergy a team can build can overcome a whole lot of issues.

either way, I think we'll find out where we stand ownership/management wise this year.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    we were awful good the first 3 months of last year and that's factoring in Felix who was an adventure every time the ball came in the box.

we will also likely pick up some very solid loan players due to the biesla connection. Players that we never would have gotten on loan in the past.

if he's the magician that some people say he is coaching wise no reason why we can't contend with just a couple of quality signings.

I do agree with WTF's thoughts on "siege mentality". we've run into quite a few teams on the championship that have limited squads and budgets and handle us well. the synergy a team can build can overcome a whole lot of issues.

either way, I think we'll find out where we stand ownership/management wise this year.
    100% Spaldy, look at Blunts, 1st season since.coming up, were slated.for relegation, stuck (by and large) with the squad that got them up, finished above us and were always in the top half.of the division all season. Why the f00k couldn't we do that?

We will certainly be a fit squad - doing min three and sometimes four sessions per day from reports. Doing a lot of things Saracens and England rugby do too - work with the ball when fatigued and under pressure/overloaded to improve decision making.

Think from what what we have he has the bare bones of a decent side.

BPF

Ayling Jansen Foreshaw

Dallas Vieira /Phillips Baker/LDB/Pearce

siaz

Alioski Roberts Roofe

Add to that Blackman a new CB a winger and a ST and that is not a bad side. Think Klich and Murphy could work well in that formation if they get a chance. Add in a few from the younger players and hey presto.

the only problem is there are a lot of ifs buts and maybes in all that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)