+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put your feet up and get a cup of Tea

[QUOTE=islaydarkblue;38943574]
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Good stuff just a salacious myth.

Going to Makrehanish for some golf soon....Furthest west I've been withoot involving an aeroplane.

I hope the golf club situation on Islay is sorted.[/QUOTE

I hope that you enjoy driving over the Atlantic from the first tee at Machrihanish GC.
    The golf course at Machrie has been redesigned by ex tour player David J Russell and in my opinion he has ruined the course. I had a game on Machrie in September 2016 with one of my friends who is also a member of Islay GC.
    I was bitterly disappointed with the redesigned Machrie course which has lost all its character and it is not worth the current green fee of £60 per round for SGU golf club members.
    Mate won a comp.

7 nights accomadation with brekky and 6 tees.

It has mixed reviews.

[QUOTE=Returnofrros;38943692]
    Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post

Mate won a comp.

7 nights accomadation with brekky and 6 tees.

It has mixed reviews.
    I assume that you are playing on the Machrihanish golf course and not the Machrihanish Dunes golf course.
    I have played the Machrihanish golf course several times and it is an excellent course. I have a friend and fellow Dundee supporter who has played the Machrihanish Dunes course a couple of times and the last time he played he was disappointed with the Machrihanish Dunes golf course.
    If you have time I suggest that you have a game at Dunaverty golf course which situated in Southend, Kintyre.
    The course is about 5,500 yards long but it is a nice course with small greens. The 17th hole at Dunaverty is a challenging par 4 with the green immediately behind the river.

[QUOTE=islaydarkblue;38943903]
    I assume that you are playing on the Machrihanish golf course and not the Machrihanish Dunes golf course.
    I have played the Machrihanish golf course several times and it is an excellent course. I have a friend and fellow Dundee supporter who has played the Machrihanish Dunes course a couple of times and the last time he played he was disappointed with the Machrihanish Dunes golf course.
    If you have time I suggest that you have a game at Dunaverty golf course which situated in Southend, Kintyre.
    The course is about 5,500 yards long but it is a nice course with small greens. The 17th hole at Dunaverty is a challenging par 4 with the green immediately behind the river.
    You assume correctly.

Might take you up on the recommendation 're Dunaverty as we were possibly going to pay for a couple of rounds on the Dunes to mix it up a bit so I'll suggest Dunaverty.

It was one of those comps where you have to say in so many words why you should do this or that....Think this one was why you should play golf in scotland.

The prize was for 8 people so worth a few Bob.

He won a top of the range wood burner last year in a similar comp...no much use for him in a flat....but he sold the prize.

Long drive though.....Google maps say 4.5 hours.

[QUOTE=Returnofrros;38944012]

You assume correctly.

Might take you up on the recommendation 're Dunaverty as we were possibly going to pay for a couple of rounds on the Dunes to mix it up a bit so I'll suggest Dunaverty.

It was one of those comps where you have to say in so many words why you should do this or that....Think this one was why you should play golf in scotland.

The prize was for 8 people so worth a few Bob.

He won a top of the range wood burner last year in a similar comp...no much use for him in a flat....but he sold the prize.

Long drive though.....Google maps say 4.5 hours.
    I sure that you will enjoy playing on the Machrihanish golf course. The first hole is daunting as you drive over the beach and if the tide is in over the Atlantic Ocean. Your friend is very fortunate to have won such a generous prize. Are you staying in the cottages at Machrihanish or in Campbeltown.
    There are a couple of distilleries in Campbeltown that do visitors tours. There is usually a small charge deducted which is deducted from the price of a bottle of single malt whisky should you wish to buy one plus a free dram.
    If the your golf is poor you can always drown your sorrows with a single malt Campbeltown whisky.
    In my opinion the best and shortest way to drive to Machrihanish is Dundee to Perth then take the A85 via Crieff, Lochearnhead, Lix Toll, Crianlarich, Tyndrum where you continue on the A85 to Dalmally.
    A couple of miles after Dalmally you turn left and take the A819 to Inveraray.
    After you come through the arch at Inveraray turn right and you are on the A83 to Campbeltown. You then travel through Minard, Lochgilphead, Tarbert Loch Fyne, You will see turn off for the Islay ferry at Kennacraig and 33 miles later Campbeltown.
    This is the route I take when travelling to and from Islay to Dundee.
    I am sure that you will enjoy your holiday despite it being a long way to go from any part of Scotland.
    They have a saying in Machrihanish. If you can see the island of Islay the rain is on its way and if you cannot then it is raining.

Great Stuff Islay. Thanks for the route and the stuff about our neighbours. Is it a fact that the assets have been sold? I would not want there to be unfair speculation about this. Are they not merely security for loans that have been made to their club?

Don't get to ask questions of pravdites very often islay, well apart from Deeranged so I'll ask as it's bugging me.

Is there an LGBT community of penguins on Islay.��

[QUOTE=islaydarkblue;38944081]

I sure that you will enjoy playing on the Machrihanish golf course. The first hole is daunting as you drive over the beach and if the tide is in over the Atlantic Ocean. Your friend is very fortunate to have won such a generous prize. Are you staying in the cottages at Machrihanish or in Campbeltown.
    There are a couple of distilleries in Campbeltown that do visitors tours. There is usually a small charge deducted which is deducted from the price of a bottle of single malt whisky should you wish to buy one plus a free dram.
    If the your golf is poor you can always drown your sorrows with a single malt Campbeltown whisky.
    In my opinion the best and shortest way to drive to Machrihanish is Dundee to Perth then take the A85 via Crieff, Lochearnhead, Lix Toll, Crianlarich, Tyndrum where you continue on the A85 to Dalmally.
    A couple of miles after Dalmally you turn left and take the A819 to Inveraray.
    After you come through the arch at Inveraray turn right and you are on the A83 to Campbeltown. You then travel through Minard, Lochgilphead, Tarbert Loch Fyne, You will see turn off for the Islay ferry at Kennacraig and 33 miles later Campbeltown.
    This is the route I take when travelling to and from Islay to Dundee.
    I am sure that you will enjoy your holiday despite it being a long way to go from any part of Scotland.
    They have a saying in Machrihanish. If you can see the island of Islay the rain is on its way and if you cannot then it is raining.
    We are staying in the cottages.

My golf is either good or going to get better....never bad😁

9 hcap now but still a wee bit room for improvement.

1st hole does seem to be rather famous.

Like the saying 're Islay...sums up Scots mentality.

A rather pessimistic acquaintance of mine had one " if your breathing your not dead, just dying"

I'll let you know how I go....marshalling at the open next week then the trip the week after.

[QUOTE=Returnofrros;38944135]

We are staying in the cottages.

My golf is either good or going to get better....never bad��

9 hcap now but still a wee bit room for improvement.

1st hole does seem to be rather famous.

Like the saying 're Islay...sums up Scots mentality.

A rather pessimistic acquaintance of mine had one " if your breathing your not dead, just dying"

I'll let you know how I go....marshalling at the open next week then the trip the week after.
    Thank you for your update.
    I assume that you are retired if you are able to carry out marshalling duties next week at Carnoustie and then have a week’s golf at Machrihanish. I enclose the Machrihanish GC website for your information. http://www.machgolf.com
    It shows the drive at the 1st hole.
    In August 1995 I played in the Rotary Open at Machrihanish. The competition was played from the Medal (Back) Tees and driving off the Medal tee at the 1st hole is even more daunting than playing from the Yellow (normal) Tee.
    As it was an Open competition I paid a £6 entry fee while members paid a £3 entry fee. £6 for a game of golf on Machrihanish was a bargain.
    I,personally know the head greenkeeper at Machrihanish Dunes as he used to be the head greenkeeper at Machrie Islay before being ‘head hunted’ to the Dunes golf course. He comes from Crieff and is a St Johnstone supporter. If you happen to meeet him tell himat you know a Dundee supporter who lives on Islay and used to be a member of Islay GC. He will know who I am.
    Last November my wife and I spent a couple of nights in Campbeltown staying in the Ardshiel Hotel. I took a trip out to both Machrihanish and the Dunes golf courses. Apparently the Machrihanish Dunes gol course has an arrangement with Dunaverty Golf Club and from memory I think that you can get discounted golf fees if you play both courses.
    If you decide to play at Dunaverty Golf Club there is a coffee shop called the Muneroy tearoom in Southend which sells delicious home made cakes. http://muneroy.co.uk
    After taking a look at Dunaverty GC my wife and I had coffee and a home made cake in the Muneroy tearoom. The cakes were delicious.
    In the summer months the tearoom is so popular that you have to book a table.
    I look forward to hearing about your trip Machrihanish.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Great Stuff Islay. Thanks for the route and the stuff about our neighbours. Is it a fact that the assets have been sold? I would not want there to be unfair speculation about this. Are they not merely security for loans that have been made to their club?
    Thanks to you mentioning my name I searched for my password to let me post on this forum.
    We used to have family holidays at Machrihanish and my first game of golf on Machrihanish Golf Course was in July 1970 when I won 1st prize in a Junior Handicap open competition.
    Prior to moving to Islay my wife and I considered moving to live in either Campbeltown or Machrihanish.
    Returning to our neighbours You are correct that the assets are merely security for the loans. I cannot remember if interest is paid on these loans but United are currently paying 6% interest on the loan secured on Tannadice Park with a further 4% interest being paid if the loan is not repaid under the terms of the deal.
    That might account for the fact that it was reported on another forum that United had repaid the agreed annual repayment and then asked for a further loan.
    Throughout the past twelve years despite their lofty position in the Premier League up to the end of the 2014-15 season United have been a selling club as they have continually made an operating loss. However they now have no players to sell to balance the books.

[QUOTE=islaydarkblue;38944370]

Thank you for your update.
    I assume that you are retired if you are able to carry out marshalling duties next week at Carnoustie and then have a week’s golf at Machrihanish. I enclose the Machrihanish GC website for your information. http://www.machgolf.com
    It shows the drive at the 1st hole.
    In August 1995 I played in the Rotary Open at Machrihanish. The competition was played from the Medal (Back) Tees and driving off the Medal tee at the 1st hole is even more daunting than playing from the Yellow (normal) Tee.
    As it was an Open competition I paid a £6 entry fee while members paid a £3 entry fee. £6 for a game of golf on Machrihanish was a bargain.
    I,personally know the head greenkeeper at Machrihanish Dunes as he used to be the head greenkeeper at Machrie Islay before being ‘head hunted’ to the Dunes golf course. He comes from Crieff and is a St Johnstone supporter. If you happen to meeet him tell himat you know a Dundee supporter who lives on Islay and used to be a member of Islay GC. He will know who I am.
    Last November my wife and I spent a couple of nights in Campbeltown staying in the Ardshiel Hotel. I took a trip out to both Machrihanish and the Dunes golf courses. Apparently the Machrihanish Dunes gol course has an arrangement with Dunaverty Golf Club and from memory I think that you can get discounted golf fees if you play both courses.
    If you decide to play at Dunaverty Golf Club there is a coffee shop called the Muneroy tearoom in Southend which sells delicious home made cakes. http://muneroy.co.uk
    After taking a look at Dunaverty GC my wife and I had coffee and a home made cake in the Muneroy tearoom. The cakes were delicious.
    In the summer months the tearoom is so popular that you have to book a table.
    I look forward to hearing about your trip Machrihanish.
    Golf, whisky and now cake.

Does it get any better.

Decent chippy?

Looking forward to it.

Played Doon at the belfry 3 years ago the brabazon and the pga.

Brabazon still meh fav.

Play in a lot of Texas opens round Scotland and there really are some cracking courses.

Forres, Cruden Bay and and the one at lossiemouth (name escapes me) are 3 I particularly like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)