+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: England vs Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Kane as been poor since the group stages there is something not right with him
    I reckon he's been carrying an injury for a while, and they've kept quiet about it.

At the end of the day (dont you love that phrase) 99% of people would have been happy before the tournament if they had known we would get as far as the Semi Finals. The fact we have chucked it away now leaves me very confused!

I don't think Kane is injured, he's just a bit overrated. To think he will win the Golden Boot is a bit of a travesty, because he's no Lineker from 1986. To celebrate a hat trick from two pens and a deflection like he was Geoff Hurst was a bit over the top.

I'm also disappointed with Modric for his little outspoken rant about proving everyone in England wrong when we all know very well how good he is anyway. Don't know about anyone else but I've been to Croatia a lot over the years, and they're a bit like that. Too much nationalism is never a good thing.

So now I'm backing France to bring them down a peg or too. The French are too cool to panic when they're 1-0 up, and they can counter Modric with Kante and Pogba, it's 3-1 for me, Mbappe hat trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I don't think Kane is injured, he's just a bit overrated. To think he will win the Golden Boot is a bit of a travesty, because he's no Lineker from 1986. To celebrate a hat trick from two pens and a deflection like he was Geoff Hurst was a bit over the top.

I'm also disappointed with Modric for his little outspoken rant about proving everyone in England wrong when we all know very well how good he is anyway. Don't know about anyone else but I've been to Croatia a lot over the years, and they're a bit like that. Too much nationalism is never a good thing.

So now I'm backing France to bring them down a peg or too. The French are too cool to panic when they're 1-0 up, and they can counter Modric with Kante and Pogba, it's 3-1 for me, Mbappe hat trick.
    I agree with you but I do not care who wins the final now I'd just like to see a great game and I think we will see a good one. Its that Eastern Euro hard man attitude thing. He'd get on well with VladPie!

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Why? It was obvious that Croatia were class when they ripped Argentina apart. Modric, Rakitic and Perisic are world class players - stars for Real, Barca and Inter. We couldn't match that. Semis is a great achievement, disappointed to go out at that stage but it's light years better than 4 years ago or going out to Iceland

^^ This.

It was like a battle hardened army v cadets. The sprogs run around for half an hour or so making threats then the real men stand up.

We got as far as we did as much as anything because of a kind draw and the only times we came across top teams we lost (I'm including Belgium). Some good performances, a couple of headless chickens (yes they can create havoc and take defenders away but a couple or more goals would help). Something to build on but a mid-field general (maybe Henderson will grow into the role) and a tricky forward with end product will be needed. Defenders need to stay awake the whole game too - Walker got distracted and so did Stones.

Let's hope there's a couple coming through but this was no '66 side and not even an Italia '90 team.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I think we have been here you dick , ask driller .Another one who likes to wipe Elites arse.

ps. Your posts are generally boring.
    If ever confirmation was needed.

About for things wrong last night. We didn't get the second goal whilst on top, we didn't come out second half, walker should have gone to head the ball not wait for it to come to him and Stones should have been switched on.

All that aside we had a great ride and I think people really are forgetting our inexperience. All I read is we weren't good enough and never will be, I think for the youngest squad to get to the semis then people to say they'll never be good enough when they have their best years ahead of them is completed nonsense and they're talking out their arse.

I don't know if it is just me nit picking but the Croatian chap that scored the winner, wasn't his foot a little high.
    I'm sure that anywhere else on the pitch and he would have been penalised for dangerous play.
    His boot was head high, and I have seen players sent off for similar offences.
    i'm not using this as an excuse because I thought we lacked creativity in the final third anyway.
    The ref was consistent throughout.....consistently awful. Books a player for holding on to a ball that he thought was his, and then lets GBH pass him by. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    We don’t have any world class players, Croatia have two or three - and eventually that class told. It also helps if you have a midfielder who can pass the ball forwards or can run past an opponent.

I’ve loved this World Cup and it’s been great to see England go so far, but the bottom line remains the same: we always lose to good teams. We’ve done brilliantly with our set pieces, but you need more than that to beat the best.
    Good summary. Reminded me of a Notts game where we dominate a first half against poor opposition, but let them back into it with a dozy second half.

England have some good young players, but aren’t any better than they’ve been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Good summary. Reminded me of a Notts game where we dominate a first half against poor opposition, but let them back into it with a dozy second half.

England have some good young players, but aren’t any better than they’ve been for years.
    But it hasn't been about the players so much, BFP, as the system. What the Cup showed (until last night) is that we've progressed from giving the ball a beefie kick upfield and trusting to winning it in enemy territory. Sadly, we reverted to that last night because we had no player with Modric's confidence to run through the opposition ranks. Delle Ali, the one who might, was missing in action and Southgate never gambled with Loftus-Cheek who has the audacity.
    As for all these cris de coeur that we stepped off the gas after half-time - it gives no credit to Croatia's clever tactical switch of poring forward in the wing half positions. They massacred us and there was only one team hanging on for penalties.
    Saved the embarrassment of a sound thrashing by the frogs which would have been Sunday's outcome. Class always tells in the end.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast