+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The missing link

The missing link

England deservedly succumbed to defeat tonight and there's no complaints here. Credit to Croatia, from the moment they equalized there only looked like one winner. The difference, their midfield. They looked more assured on the ball and passed it better. We looked like we'd no ideas how to get back into the game once Croatia equalized and we were feeding on scraps.

What I can take from this world cup is that England are a very promising young team and we must build on this experience but the missing link is a Gascoigne type player in our midfield. Had we had a gazza in our team tonight it makes the difference between winning tournaments and losing in the semis.

This is hard to take but if we're honest we would've given our right arm to reach the final and give ourselves a shot at winning the tournament. Truth is we weren't quite good enough. However, the positives are that we have some quality footballers and we must build on this. The lads should accept the plaudits but please let's not have open top bus parade like Italia 90. If we deem these lads heroes and the press lords it up then how the feck are they ever going to go the extra mile and win owt? This defeat should make us more hungry to succeed. That's the mentality we must now adopt.

I just hope the next Paul Gascoigne is out there somewhere because that would fill the gap missing in this team. I'm optimistic for the future, roll on the next tournament

Asking a lot Pass to find another Gazza ( one of the best I've ever seen ) good post and i get thi point , Mowatt perhaps am joorkin

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Asking a lot Pass to find another Gazza ( one of the best I've ever seen ) good post and i get thi point , Mowatt perhaps am joorkin

Mowatt like

Tha reight though Roma, gazza one of best I've seen too mate

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Not saying he is a Gazza, but Oxlade-Chamberlain before he got injured was excellent, and may have made a difference

True it'll be hard to find another gascoin with most of us having a smart meter

Hopefully this is the start of something , the younger teams have done well and we are starting to see signs of technical improvement and good movement off the ball .

It's still very much a work in progress and I have us about 8 or 9 in the world so we have alot still to do .

The worst thing about tonight will not be the defeat it will be if it takes another 28 years to get to another World Cup semi final .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Hopefully this is the start of something , the younger teams have done well and we are starting to see signs of technical improvement and good movement off the ball .

It's still very much a work in progress and I have us about 8 or 9 in the world so we have alot still to do .

The worst thing about tonight will not be the defeat it will be if it takes another 28 years to get to another World Cup semi final .
    This was THE CHANCE.
    With respect, we’ve played no one who was decent. In the other half of the draw we’d have been out a lot earlier.
    Tonight, our opponents were BURTON ALBION equivalent in last seasons championship
    They fought, and snatched, and won. Gutted for us, it’s like you say Animal, we are 8 or 9th....
    But we are flattering ourselves by thinking we are any higher. Good draw, good plan to come 2nd in group....
    Bet Martinez is spitting ... because I reckon they would have rolled Croatia over if they had been in our place

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    This was THE CHANCE.
    With respect, we’ve played no one who was decent. In the other half of the draw we’d have been out a lot earlier.
    Tonight, our opponents were BURTON ALBION equivalent in last seasons championship
    They fought, and snatched, and won. Gutted for us, it’s like you say Animal, we are 8 or 9th....
    But we are flattering ourselves by thinking we are any higher. Good draw, good plan to come 2nd in group....
    Bet Martinez is spitting ... because I reckon they would have rolled Croatia over if they had been in our place
    Give these lads another two years with possibly Rashford and Rose coming in and we may make the later stages of the Euro's .

Two years ago Iceland put us out with possibly the worst England tournament performance of all time .

As long as the nation are going deep in to tournaments I think most people will accept that .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    England deservedly succumbed to defeat tonight and there's no complaints here. Credit to Croatia, from the moment they equalized there only looked like one winner. The difference, their midfield. They looked more assured on the ball and passed it better. We looked like we'd no ideas how to get back into the game once Croatia equalized and we were feeding on scraps.

What I can take from this world cup is that England are a very promising young team and we must build on this experience but the missing link is a Gascoigne type player in our midfield. Had we had a gazza in our team tonight it makes the difference between winning tournaments and losing in the semis.

This is hard to take but if we're honest we would've given our right arm to reach the final and give ourselves a shot at winning the tournament. Truth is we weren't quite good enough. However, the positives are that we have some quality footballers and we must build on this. The lads should accept the plaudits but please let's not have open top bus parade like Italia 90. If we deem these lads heroes and the press lords it up then how the feck are they ever going to go the extra mile and win owt? This defeat should make us more hungry to succeed. That's the mentality we must now adopt.

I just hope the next Paul Gascoigne is out there somewhere because that would fill the gap missing in this team. I'm optimistic for the future, roll on the next tournament
    I've been saying we lack creativity all tournament. However, it was classed as being negative.

Also the stats from open play and shots on goal etc don't lie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast