+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Name the manager who..

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    When did Germany get battered by Croatia?
    Sorry I ment Argentina who are ment to be a super force and tipped by many to win it. My point is they are a good side who we pushed all the way. People make me laugh in football how fickle they are. Well done England youngest and most inexperienced team we have ever took and made it to the semis.

Well done to the lads. Yes if they had put them to the sword in the first half and scored again it would have been different. Also if the ref had had some balls and booked the 2 Croatian in the first half that would have added to the pressure, not an excuse but something to note.

We did as well as expected with how the draw worked out if not better than predicted by most.

English football is blighted by foreign players, so a lot of the England squad don't regularly play for their parent clubs.

They did very well under the circumstances.

Where I sit at NYS there are always opposition scouts in front of me making notes about our style, how we defend free kicks, individual player habits etc etc.

This info goes back to the club to plan how they play against us, who to man mark, whether or not to defend man to man or zonally for corners and free kicks. It's all about information gathering and predicting the outcome.

In Southgate's case there were no need for such scouting, millions across the world knew that he would play Sterling, Deli Alli and Jesse Lingard no matter what, they would play in the same style, they would try to get free kicks and corners to capitalise on our strengths at set pieces. Amateurs sat at home would work out how to play us so seasoned experienced opposition managers would certainly work it out and plan accordingly.

Our defeat v Croatia indicated it fully, press Alli and Lingard so they go deeper (both can't defend) then stick the ball behind them for the full backs to press up (their right back had a field day). Man mark Sterling and let him run into the corners but don't let him cross, give him a yard so he can't use his speed. Get close to Kane, he doesn't like it and will go deeper and deeper into midfield to try and get the ball (he did exactly that) Play the ball when you can in that area between keeper and penalty spot, Stones and Walker have at least one mistake to make every match (they did and Croatia capitalised on it twice)

These are reasonably safe tactics because the opposition manager knows that Southgate has no plan B and would only use subs when a player is either injured or just plain and simple knackered. He also knows which subs Southgate will bring on because he rarely varies it.

The players will learn, the question is will the manager?

It's true, Southgate is very predictable, all the subs were as expected as well, needed a wild card, maybe Loftus-Cheek?

Not his fault we don't have a talent like Modric though, that's because clubs want instant success and buy it rather than developing players.

And probably due to kids playing Fifa rather than playing real football in the street.

Could be worse though, could be Scotland, kids are all eating fried Mars bars and drinking Buckfast instead of playing football I think.

They're laughing at England for getting to the semi-finals when they can't even qualify and have only a few average players, has any country declined so badly football-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Geetarman View Post
    So that's how football works. It shouldn't be what happens on the pitch, it should be decided by the population of the country.. I am really looking forward to China winning the next twenty World Cups without a ball being kicked.

I take it that you don't share my view that the "St George's Revolution", which began four years ago is beginning to bear fruit.

In my opinion Southgate has done a great job in uniting the team and the nation. A World Cup semi final and the armchair managers are out in force spouting their usual dim-witted clichés. "No plan B.......shud of changed it (the poor grammar reflecting the educational deficiencies of the said armchair experts"

The seeds are there as evidenced by the success of the age group England teams.

And in Southgate we have the right man at the helm to cement the progression from the age groups to represent England at full level.

So unless you are Pep Guardiola and not a typical 21st century armchair manager Patty Cakes, the future is bright.
    I agree with nearly all of that Guitar. The only proviso is that, because of the vast fortunes, the huge Premier clubs go looking abroad for talent. In a way this has benefitted English players because their ball control has improved immensely. But, and this is a big but, Lingard and co need regular game time and I doubt whether they will get it when City, UTD and Chelsea etc. leave them out because they want to show of their £90 million new signings. SKY money, Foreign owners dictate that their input is rewarded by "star players" appearances. As Dylan once remarked "if you've got knives and Forks then you gotta eat". Oblique I know, but you can see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetarman View Post
    So that's how football works. It shouldn't be what happens on the pitch, it should be decided by the population of the country.. I am really looking forward to China winning the next twenty World Cups without a ball being kicked.

I take it that you don't share my view that the "St George's Revolution", which began four years ago is beginning to bear fruit.

In my opinion Southgate has done a great job in uniting the team and the nation. A World Cup semi final and the armchair managers are out in force spouting their usual dim-witted clichés. "No plan B.......shud of changed it (the poor grammar reflecting the educational deficiencies of the said armchair experts"

The seeds are there as evidenced by the success of the age group England teams.

And in Southgate we have the right man at the helm to cement the progression from the age groups to represent England at full level.

So unless you are Pep Guardiola and not a typical 21st century armchair manager Patty Cakes, the future is bright.
    It's quite endearing and sweet to see yet again England supporters demonstrating that hope always triumphs over reality and experience. The future may be Orange but under Southgate and with our limited supply of gifted performers it definitely is not bright. But dream on Geets and co, because sometimes (but not very often) dreams do come true. I shall try to refrain from saying I told you so when England next flatter to deceive.

Very harsh that.
    I think it,s really sad that some people seem to take great delight in England not getting to the WC final
    Criticism and I told you so is an all too common English mentality.
    Fine lines last Wed. It could easily have been 3-0 at HT and we were in control against one of the world's most organised teams. No way back for Croatia from there.
    It didn't happen but at least we were able to work ourselves into a position of superiority.
    I don't recall these predictions when we were progressing through the group stages.

What predictions would they be?

The future not being bright and England flattering to deceive

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    The future not being bright and England flattering to deceive
    I suggest you read my post "It will all end in tears" listed before the competition began. Also you assume that I am English and give a flying fcuk whether they win or lose. Even if I am English and an England supporter it is not being unpatriotic or treacherous to suggest that they have not won a single trophy since 1966 because they are not good enough. And you can look at this lot with rose tinted glasses if you like, but they won't win anything either. But if it makes you feel better to live in cloud cuckoo land carry on.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast