+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internatianal Fitba / British Failure

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Do the honourable thing and put a Comical Ali picture up as your avatar?
    nae bother.
    Here's one for you

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 19.53.48.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  9.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    nae bother.
    Here's one for you

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 19.53.48.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  9.8 KB
    Lol, if it’s nae bother when do we get to see your new avatar?

Will this do?
    There is a stunning resemblance

https://3dthis.com/share.htm?h=LTQyMzYxNDU

Will this do?
    There is a stunning resemblance

https://3dthis.com/share.htm?h=LTQyMzYxNDU
    If that’s what you want to put up go ahead. Comical Ali itself will suffice though as having my own avatar morphed in also is a tad weird.
    You did say nae bother so I am holding you to your word. I will let you return to normal once we get our 1st new season victory starting with Burnley at Pittodrie (I am generous that way)?

No mucking about, so get Comical Ali up and show us you at least have a sense of humour.

There you go, for 1 night only

I don't think there's much causation between the proportion of your international squad playing overseas and its quality.

Germany, Spain and Italy have been three of the most successful nations on the international scene over the past two decades and they usually draw the majority of their squads from their own national leagues. Most of the top European clubs also play in these leagues. The relative diminishment of Serie A has correlated with a diminishment in the Italian national team. I suggest that provides a few clues as to the direction of the causation.

France is a bit of an anomaly - Ligue 1 has tended to be the 'Andy Murray' of the big European leagues - clearly ahead of everyone else but not on the same level as England, Germany, Spain and Italy (PSG's financial doping aside) so they tend to have a higher proportion of their top players playing abroad.

The problem with England is that the best players in their league aren't English. Even during the so called 'golden generation', their much vaunted midfield lacked players with the technical gifts you would see in the Southern European teams of the era. A player such as Lampard would thrive at club level playing alongside Deco. The reasons why England isn't producing a higher calibre of player is likely quite complex but it isn't that they don't have more players playing overseas. If the World Cup was a league XI how many English players would make their own squad?

For smaller nations the picture is different, especially in the last 10-20 years. A few clubs increasingly dominate European football and that interest drips down into their national leagues. Better players will go where they can earn better money which means playing in the top leagues. Top clubs in Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands and, of course, Scotland clearly can't compete financially with the big boys anymore so those national leagues don't retain their best players.

In short, if we had better players more of them would be playing at top clubs rather than vice versa. Our top players don't play overseas out of reluctance. They don't play overseas because they aren't good enough. There is also the England factor - your average top flight Scottish player can earn more down in England than they can anywhere else so that's where they tend to go. Unless we produce a player of the calibre of Gareth Bale I don't expect that this will change.

There you go, for 1 night only
    It would help if you put up a picture of Comical Ali and not the imposter that you have chosen (chemical ali).
    Google should enlighten you

Maybe a picture of a gangrene ballsack may be more apt as an avatar

Name:  download (1).jpeg
Views: 527
Size:  7.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Maybe a picture of a gangrene ballsack may be more apt as an avatar

Name:  download (1).jpeg
Views: 527
Size:  7.4 KB
    Trust me having a look at that before I get stuck into my breakfast!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast