+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are we happy when England lose?

Why are we happy when England lose?

Bit of a philosophical question and a bit OT. I’m half English (my old man was English) but I shouted “YES!” both times Croatia scored last night. Is the pleasure we take down to our desire to see the pundits and commentators’ noses rubbed in it? The jingoism of the Engerland fans? Or is it more down to a desire to see our richer neighbours fall on their arses the way you might enjoy when your own rich neighbours get a dent on their Rolls Royce? Or does it relate to our Scottish reluctance to embrace some time-built sense of imperialistic supremacy?

Discuss....
    Last edited by louisxiv; 12-07-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post
    Bit of a philosophical question and a bit OT. I’m half English (my old man was English) but I shouted “YES!” both times Croatia scored last night. Is the pleasure we take down to our desire to see the pundits and commentators’ noses rubbed in it? The jingoism of the Engerland fans? Or is it more down to a desire to see our richer neighbours fall on their arses the way you might enjoy when your own rich neighbours get a dent on their Rolls Royce? Or does it relate to our Scottish reluctance to embrace some time-built sense of imperialistic supremacy?

Discuss....

sheer hatred of them simple ,the way there politicians think thay own scotland,there arrogance ,and the way thay have always belittle scotland ,and thay only got that far by beating nobodies i would have expected scotland to get to the semi final if we were in there position ,thay got an easy lucky run that will never happen again ,one good thing out of this thay will now think that team is up there with the best overconfidence will be bubbling from thm i just cant wait until it all crashes down as thay dont seem to realise thay only beat minor nations at the world cup no one of any note .

Louis, the most logical answer is that the Highland Clearances were not that long ago in historical terms and I can fully understand that.

However, I do fail to comprehend the often hysterical reaction to what after all are our nearest neighbours.

The highly paid commentators do bring a lot of it on themselves though, - and they should learn to be a lot less biased.

I for one was more than happy for them to progress as far as they did, - albeit the opposition was not the greatest. I was of the opinion that if they had gone through to face France, they would have been well beaten.

Home grown players in all the Home Nations is what we should be striving for and Scotland should be aiming to emulate their near neighbours not merely abusing them, - which after all, any idiot can do.

I'm in the same boat as you Louis. English Father , Scottish mother and Dumfries born and bred. Much as I loved my English side of the family ( great people), there is no way I want the football team to do well. Their commentators talk of the team and English nation in general as if they are some kind of divine beings . Politically ( it has to be said) I cannot stomach them and not too keen on the monarchy either. I was ready to build a bunker in the back garden if they won the semi final.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 13-07-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    sheer hatred of them simple ,the way there politicians think thay own scotland,there arrogance ,and the way thay have always belittle scotland ,and thay only got that far by beating nobodies i would have expected scotland to get to the semi final if we were in there position ,thay got an easy lucky run that will never happen again ,one good thing out of this thay will now think that team is up there with the best overconfidence will be bubbling from thm i just cant wait until it all crashes down as thay dont seem to realise thay only beat minor nations at the world cup no one of any note .
    Indeed, Francis. It didn’t take them long to revert to type this time around either. They were positively crowing by the quarter finals, predicting a walkover against Croatia. It really does look like they’ll never learn.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you Louis. English Father , Scottish mother and Dumfries born and bred. Much as I loved my English side of the family , there is no way I want there football team to do well. Their commentators talk of the team and English nation in general as if they are divine beings . Politically ( it has to be said) I cannot stomach them and not too keen on the monarchy either. I was ready to build a bunker in the back garden if they won the semi final.
    Lol. Yes. My mate, who’s a Bairns fan, spends a fortune during every tournament they’re involved in laying down insurance bets on the basis that his winnings would take the sting out of any England success. Wouldn’t work though. He’d have to sober up eventually. My wife, who’s Scottish spent 3 weeks lecturing me about how I should be more generous in spirit towards them and then she too leapt in the air when Croatia scored. Damn hypocrite!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Louis, the most logical answer is that the Highland Clearances were not that long ago in historical terms and I can fully understand that.

However, I do fail to comprehend the often hysterical reaction to what after all are our nearest neighbours.

The highly paid commentators do bring a lot of it on themselves though, - and they should learn to be a lot less biased.

I for one was more than happy for them to progress as far as they did, - albeit the opposition was not the greatest. I was of the opinion that if they had gone through to face France, they would have been well beaten.

Home grown players in all the Home Nations is what we should be striving for and Scotland should be aiming to emulate their near neighbours not merely abusing them, - which after all, any idiot can do.
    You make some good points Jardi.

I am old enough (just) to remember the last time, when Dumfries only had English television and yes I realise it is not much better now. The coverage then was painful to say the least and I just could not imagine how bad it would have been this year had they stole, sorry won another world cup with the multitude of channels we have now.
    I also think , as had been said , it is there arrogance and the fact that they have bled this country of it's resources (people as well as food/drink/oil etc) and they laugh at everything good that our sports people etc do. If your good ,your British if your crap, you are Scottish (usually with snigger at the same time)I do not however blame your average English person (most of whom are all right) but the TV and the government (sadly the worst ones there are so called Scottish MP's)
    AND YES I AM BITTER AND TWISTED ABOUT IT ALL LOL

This thread will probably be pulled soon so I'll add something while its not. Mundell is without a doubt the worst politician I have ever seen. The best paid message boy in Britain.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 13-07-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisxiv View Post

Discuss....
    This "hating engerland makes you more Scottish" totally mystifies me!! Would have loved to have seen that young team progress through to the Final - well I had money on a Belgium v England Final (which I do think Belgium would have won AGAIN) - but what is done is done. But unfortunately times have-a-changed - I recall in '66 we did really support our neighbours (well my family and friends did) - post war mentality v Germans (? I don't know but certainly there was a great(er) belief in the UNITED Kingdom mentality).
    Maybe the media/tv commentators do the game and support more damage BUT with Mr Southgate's excellent PR / media savy and the fact that this very young national team is at acorn stage I think we will be seeing a lot more of this team. LETS get back to supporting SCOTLAND and interested in OUR needs and solving OUR problems whilst our neighbours thrive. Let them enjoy their moment AND hope we can follow THAT lovely '67 moment - we became World Champions (well we were the first team to beat them after their victory SO should have been given the Jules Rimet cup) AND a Scottish club became the first to win a European trophy. And that team helped us celebrate 50 years celebrations. NOW IMAGINE........................comments -
    Last edited by billyqos; 13-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)