Cameron McGeehan is considering putting his international career with Northern Ireland on hold to concentrate on a promotion challenge in League One with Barnsley next season.

The 23-year-old has represented Northern Ireland at youth level and was called up to the senior squad by Michael O'Neill for their friendlies last month but pulled out due to injury. With no international breaks in League One next season, McGeehan would have to miss Barnsley matches to play in the European Championship qualifiers and the first UEFA Nations League. The midfielder was born and raised in London but is eligible to play for both Northern Ireland and Scotland at international level.

He told the Chronicle: "I am not sure what I am going to do about that yet. I am mulling it over. It would mean missing games at Barnsley. I am not sure it is something I am going to commit to yet. I will think about it in the next few weeks. It was good to get the call-up and the recognition. They have been speaking to me for a while and it's good that they still want me."

The Northern Ireland friendlies at the end of last season were just days after McGeehan played in the League One play-offs with loan club S****horpe United.
The Iron lost to Rotherham United in the semi-finals but McGeehan, who scored in the first leg, says he has learned a lot about the division he is now in with relegated Barnsley.

"It was invaluable to be in a top League One team and see what they are doing and the way they play. I know what we have got to compare ourselves to this season and I think we have more than enough to push towards the top end of that league."

McGeehan signed for Barnsley from Luton Town last summer despite missing the previous six months with a broken leg. He made six starts and three substitute appearances before being loaned out to S****horpe in the second half of the season so he is aware of the differences between the Championship and League One.

"The standard in League One is good, but different. The pitches don't help, especially in January and February with the weather. Everyone is just a little bit better in every area in the Championship. But I am so excited about our team because we have a lot of the best players from the lower leagues and now we have experience in the Championship."

McGeehan has enjoyed working with new German head coach Daniel Stendel who arrived at Oakwell three weeks ago. He said: "I think the high-pressure, high-intensity style which we are going to play will work really well in League One. We have a really good squad and we have coupled that with a really good manager now."

McGeehan has been captain for the first half of both Barnsley's friendlies so far, before being substituted at half-time along with all the other outfield players.