+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England v Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    No plan B
    We could have had a plan B,C,D,E and we still wunt have beat them, They were just mlles better than us, We were so slow and our movement up top is shocking at the moment.

Think we shouldn't go too over the top about getting to the semis. If we had gone the Belgian route we wouldn't have got to the semis. We plainly still have a long way to go as Belgium and Croatia have shown us. They are still way ahead of us. Also remember that teams like Germany, Brazil, Portugal and Argentina are not likely to be so shyte next time. You also will have teams like Holland and Italy who are likely to revive. The competition will be more fierce even if we do get better.

Sorry for the downer but just being realistic. The good thing is our team is still young so they should get better.

The presenter on iTV has just said it has been a compelling world cup which is fair enough but I don't think we have seen the silky skills in the same abundance as previous world cups generally. The flair players have been piss poor and past their best ie the Neymars, Messis etc. We are likely to see some new World talent emerging in 2022.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 14-07-2018 at 04:36 PM.

The euphoria is disipating

Lets not judge either team on todays non-match eh lads, neither set of players want to be in this ludicrous pointless match.
    I did my disappointments and criticisms after blowing it against Croatia, so whatever happened today Im telling myself that Ive really enjoyed this WCup both as a neutral and as out and out England fan.

Not judging on this match alone Acido. Just placing our performance in the context as a whole. Quality wise its been pretty average and we have done quite well because of that. A tougher world cup and I think we might have found it more difficult. Yep the world cup has still been enjoyable. Plenty of goals and incident. VAR has played its part too.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 14-07-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Belgium would be in the final had they had our half of the draw - very good going forward - in fact, one of the best.

It is in the final third we just miss a bit of cutting quality, but we are definitely a work in progress with better to come. Get a youngster coming through with more creativity and we will improve.

Think your right sawmiller. Bit like watching the millers! an improvement in the final third would make a big difference. We miss far too many good chances at this level and can't rely on Harry kane to bail us out all the time as has been shown in the last couple of matches, other forwards have got to do their stuff.

Anyway forget England now. A win for the millers today against international opposition no less! Let's get behind our proper love!!
    Last edited by rolymiller; 14-07-2018 at 04:58 PM.

The draw certainly did us a favour no doubt and that alone could be the biggest criticism against a World cup tournament. Its the fact that a team can go all the way and win it and be lucky with who they play along the way etc. (like France mysteriosuly were allowed to do as hosts in '98!! ).

Kane's tournament ended after the Colombia match Im sorry to admit, because hes hardly put a foot right since then. Sterling was appalling yet again today, and I thought messrs Lingard, Dier, Rashford, L.Cheek, and Trippier especially all made a good difference in the 2nd half.
    Last edited by Acido; 14-07-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Certainly improved second half just lacking that killer instinct. Think the best team of the tournament by quite a bit will win it tomorrow ie France. That sort of seems fair enough to me.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 14-07-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Yes we lacked the final bit of quality but I'd take WC2018 over WC2014 and Euros2016 any day. Stirling is a reflection on the team as a whole, does 2/3 of things well but suffers brain freeze on the last 1/3

Good to see opponents absolutely bricking it on our set pieces. That's our strength whereas Belgium's is the counter attack.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast