+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England v Belgium

Ive always liked Belgium as a neutral 2nd favourite intl team (if there is such a thing!), and they still provided me with my greatest ever England intl moment. It was at Italia '90 of course, David Platts goal in the last minute of Et, and it just happened to be on my 19th birthday.. ohh yes you dont forget footy days like that do you in a hurry.

They're a good team of individuals and they have come up short again, they had France on the ropes a few times but didnt take advantage. Today didnt matter, our quality or lack of it from a young squad showed sadly.

I think one of the biggest winners at this World Cup has been V Putin and Russia as a country.
    He,s clearly told his henchmen to warn the hooligan gangs to back off and the comments from fans and media is that it,s a very welcoming modern society.
    Only way to find out what it,s really like is to go visit which is what I might well do in the near future

Huge PR coup by Putin. Masterstroke

Its certainly been a great tournament Flour, but whether we want to look at it as a piece of typical Putin 'pony' though, thats open to debate obviously.
    I had my doubts about this WCup, but its impressed me for a number of good footy reasons. However, wtf are they thinking by giving it to Qatar in 4 years time, when it looks like it might even have to be moved to our winter rather than our summer, so how are we going to arrange our league season with those dates ?.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Yes we lacked the final bit of quality but I'd take WC2018 over WC2014 and Euros2016 any day. Stirling is a reflection on the team as a whole, does 2/3 of things well but suffers brain freeze on the last 1/3

Good to see opponents absolutely bricking it on our set pieces. That's our strength whereas Belgium's is the counter attack.
    Sterling’s performance before today’s game:-

Seven shots - four blocked, one saved and no goals which is rubbish for the time he spent on the pitch.

in my opion this world cup has prob been one of the poorest quality wise.

Spain Brazil argintina germany off there game.
    Italy Holland not good enough.

same old England though beat the easier teams and as soon as come up against a bit of quality lose.

i have adopted japan as my second national team.

there counter attacking play against Belgium was brilliant.

they just lack a couple of 6 foot 5 brutes to boss in defence.

Overall, we were poor and there is no getting away from that. Fewer shots from open play in the competition and fewer shots on target than anyone except Iran. Sterling playing as a second striker is an absolute joke. His goals per games ratio must be the poorest in international football. No doubt I will be lambasted by the rose tinted glasses brigade, but we were fortunate to get as far as we did and would have been humiliated had we reached the final.

How predictable Patsy. Typical comments from an armchair expert.

If I may compare the Millers to the current England setup.

Paul Warne took the Millers down last season. Therefore he must be a poor manager. Many were saying, and I've no doubt that you were one of the dissenters, sack him...not a manager...he's a fitness coach, and all the usual cliches that are trotted out by the armchair incumbents such as yourself.

Fast forward six months to January and the naysayers began to go quiet. Some were hating it, the ones that it more important to be right rather than the Millers be successful.

Would you agree that there is a new regime and philosophy that is capable of breeding success?

Back to England. They don't play 46 games per season so naturally changes take more time.

I have mentioned the St Georges project before. It opened in 2014, and since then England are currently the world under 17 champions, world under 20 champions and Euro under 19 Champions, and have reached the semi final of a World Cup. Forget the Iceland result. That was under Hodgson, who wasn't part of the project. Southgate is.

Even you have to admit the 2018 was better than 2014. A draw against Costa Rica.

St Georges is based on the German model of having a central location to get all the age groups together in one place. Alexander-Arnold and Loftus-Cheek are the first two successes of many more to come.

Euro 2020 is the time. It's being played across Europe, but Englands group games, the semi final and final will be played at Wembley. it's virtually a home tournament.

Feel free to come back to me in two years time and tell me that I was talking b******x
    Last edited by Geetarman; 14-07-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Look at it this way, my car isn’t going to win the Monaco Grand Prix no matter how much I tune it up.

We lack the basic set up to become world football champions.

Were effectively a garage for the top cars, we don’t have any of our own.

Lets hope you are right geetar. To be fair to patty i think he is just commenting on where we are at the moment. Young teams tend to get better so they should over time. Like warne, we need to keep with southgate and keep developing the model. Not sure if Euros might be a bit early but ya never know,,,,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast