+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Match Thread vs Derby County (PSF)

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    In the first half Stead was definitely up front on his own. Alessandra didn't seem to know what his role was, but he very rarely got forward. Second half Alessandra joined Stead up front and that's when we created a bit. I hope Hemmings and Dennis will be our strike partnership, but the way we played in the first half left Stead totally isolated up front.
    This is exactly right. Seeing the John Stead up front on his own tactic fail against mediocre League 2 defences last season I didn't need to have the same tactic employed against a well organised Championship defence to to see it fail even more miserably again. Whilst I applaud Nolan's achievements last season, there are 2 things which concern me with his management. One is his persistence to play a tactic which keeps failing miserably and two is his determination to pick from a select group of players within the squad regardless of how they perform during the games (ie he does seem to have favourites). The two concerns could well be linked in that he wants to play a certain way and sees only certain players capable of interpreting this on the field. From Saturday, my fear is that he may well persist with the Stead up front on his own scenario and also that we may also have a much more capable team sidelined by this preference. It's early days and you can't read too much in to pre season games. I hope that my fears are groundless, but Saturday caused me more concerns than it did to inspire optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    This is exactly right. Seeing the John Stead up front on his own tactic fail against mediocre League 2 defences last season I didn't need to have the same tactic employed against a well organised Championship defence to to see it fail even more miserably again. Whilst I applaud Nolan's achievements last season, there are 2 things which concern me with his management. One is his persistence to play a tactic which keeps failing miserably and two is his determination to pick from a select group of players within the squad regardless of how they perform during the games (ie he does seem to have favourites). The two concerns could well be linked in that he wants to play a certain way and sees only certain players capable of interpreting this on the field. From Saturday, my fear is that he may well persist with the Stead up front on his own scenario and also that we may also have a much more capable team sidelined by this preference. It's early days and you can't read too much in to pre season games. I hope that my fears are groundless, but Saturday caused me more concerns than it did to inspire optimism.
    Tony I think your fears are spot on.

Me and my lad cheered when we got a throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    I can't see KN signing 2 new strikers and then playing Stead on his own up front.

I think most are assuming Stead will be no more than a back-up option this season. Good for him to say he's going to play for his place and the newbies better be ready and all that. That's what he should be saying and it'll drive the others on. But if he's still a regular first choice it'll probably mean our signings have flopped big time and our promotion prospects won't be looking nowhere near as strong as they do now.
    I'm pretty sure it's all going to work out - we've recruited well and at 35 Stead's going to make his contribution as a back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I think most are assuming Stead will be no more than a back-up option this season. Good for him to say he's going to play for his place and the newbies better be ready and all that. That's what he should be saying and it'll drive the others on. But if he's still a regular first choice it'll probably mean our signings have flopped big time and our promotion prospects won't be looking nowhere near as strong as they do now.
    I'm pretty sure it's all going to work out - we've recruited well and at 35 Stead's going to make his contribution as a back-up.
    It might work if he does play alongside a pacy striker who knows where the net is, they might compliment each other.
    (Get ready for the Forte was a pacy striker brigade).

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    It might work if he does play alongside a pacy striker who knows where the net is, they might compliment each other.
    (Get ready for the Forte was a pacy striker brigade).
    He might look like one, but he's no target man. That's why he was more comfortable playing off Ameobi.
    No worries, I'm sure we'll start with a new frontline this season.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456