+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O/T no brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Your forgetting that she changed her “Brexit means Brexit” stance when she didn’t get the support she wanted and many of this UKIP supporters who actually want Brexit went back to voting labour.

I didn’t vote purely on immigration, it was a factor but only one of them. It’s times like this when I wish Boris was in power instead of the weak May.
    Is this the same Boris Johnson who in 2013 said:

"I would vote to stay in the single market,"

"I'm in favour of the single market. I want us to be able to trade freely with our European friends and partners."

Staying in the Single Market is "essential and deliverable"

"We could construct a relationship with the EU that more closely resembled that of Norway or Switzerland - except that we would be inside the single market council, and able to shape legislation"

"I am not by any means an ultra-Eurosceptic. In some ways, I am a bit of a fan of the European Union. If we did not have one, we would invent something like it"

Odd how this changed so much when an opportunity to advance his career on the Brexit ticket came up.

Is that really the sort of “strong” principled leader you think would stave off the pressures put on him by the EU, business and moderates in his own party??

(By the way, I personally accept that large numbers of leave voters voted this way for reasons other than immigration. I was referring to assertions on here by Grist that “many folk” voted leave on immigration alone. They are the ones I feel have been badly manipulated and whom I predicted on the day of the referendum result would be badly let down).

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Is this the same Boris Johnson who in 2013 said:

"I would vote to stay in the single market,"

"I'm in favour of the single market. I want us to be able to trade freely with our European friends and partners."

Staying in the Single Market is "essential and deliverable"

"We could construct a relationship with the EU that more closely resembled that of Norway or Switzerland - except that we would be inside the single market council, and able to shape legislation"

"I am not by any means an ultra-Eurosceptic. In some ways, I am a bit of a fan of the European Union. If we did not have one, we would invent something like it"

Odd how this changed so much when an opportunity to advance his career on the Brexit ticket came up.

Is that really the sort of “strong” principled leader you think would stave off the pressures put on him by the EU, business and moderates in his own party??

(By the way, I personally accept that large numbers of leave voters voted this way for reasons other than immigration. I was referring to assertions on here by Grist that “many folk” voted leave on immigration alone. They are the ones I feel have been badly manipulated and whom I predicted on the day of the referendum result would be badly let down).
    So you don’t actually mean that pretty much all leave voters are gullible then?

We were asked a question and everyone voted as they wanted. I would not like to waste a voting opportunity but if the question was ‘do you want to leave the eu but when we do nothing will change’ then I probably wouldn’t have bothered turning up to the polling station.

On Boris, I never said I liked him but he would have been better than May and that is saying something about our current PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    So you don’t actually mean that pretty much all leave voters are gullible then?

We were asked a question and everyone voted as they wanted. I would not like to waste a voting opportunity but if the question was ‘do you want to leave the eu but when we do nothing will change’ then I probably wouldn’t have bothered turning up to the polling station.

On Boris, I never said I liked him but he would have been better than May and that is saying something about our current PM!
    Strength isn't just about how much you can give out but more about how much you can take .

A point I made when coaching lads at schoolboy level when one or two thought they were hard lads because they left one on their opponent , a forward getting kicked left right and centre and keeps coming back for more is the stronger over the ones dishing it out .

So in that respect May is far stronger then Johnson will ever be in my opinion .

For sure she's weak in many areas which were of her own making by losing her majority and the fall out from that is pretty clear to see .

Let's not forget Thatcher had huge majorities to rely on , it goes along way when you can pretty much do as you please although it also ended her Premiership when she went one step too far with the Poll Tax , too much power can also be a liability .

People like Johnson are simply opportunists with little substance to their words , that's weak too .

Another great day in Westminster I see , I notice Hammond is keeping his powder dry , watch this space ........

I see the great Tory leader has done another uturn on policy. The Chequers White Paper didnt last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    I see the great Tory leader has done another uturn on policy. The Chequers White Paper didnt last weekend.
    I can't understand this at all , around 40 members of her own party seem to have massive influence on her .

Now she's in a postion where she's conceded ground to the right of her party and could possibly still end up losing the vote .

Where does she go from there if it gets defeated ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345