+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My concern.

My concern.

Firstly let me say i am really happy with our transfer dealings and yes there is a lot
    to be excited about.

But my main fear is the CM, where is the ball winner, the thug you need at this level,
    because as good a ball player Vaughan is he his not a Yates, O'Connor, Harding, Bishop, feel
    sorry for Hewitt the poor guy can't do it on his own.

It's no coincidence last year we was bombing up until January, when Yates left and we
    never replaced him, maybe because they thought O'Connor would be fit, i am just hoping
    that young Will Patching might do the job, but we have not seen him play yet?

Maybe it's just me.
    Last edited by macstop; 15-07-2018 at 11:01 AM.

It all depends on how many ball-winning midfielders you think we need. When we won promotion from this Division in 2010, we had two in Bishop and Ravenhill and I think that the 1998 team was the same.

But this time, it looks like KN intends going with just the one, i.e. Hewitt. If we had two, how else can you fit in the two strikers, two wide midfielders and the creative central midfielder, all of which it seems we are likely to be having.

It’s quite a daring approach to the hustle and bustle of League 2 football, so I hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    It all depends on how many ball-winning midfielders you think we need. When we won promotion from this Division in 2010, we had two in Bishop and Ravenhill and I think that the 1998 team was the same.

But this time, it looks like KN intends going with just the one, i.e. Hewitt. If we had two, how else can you fit in the two strikers, two wide midfielders and the creative central midfielder, all of which it seems we are likely to be having.

It’s quite a daring approach to the hustle and bustle of League 2 football, so I hope it works.
    Hewitt is not a ball winner. He can't defend for toffee. In that role, I thought Crawford did well to harass the Derby midfield when he came on

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Hewitt is not a ball winner. He can't defend for toffee. In that role, I thought Crawford did well to harass the Derby midfield when he came on
    Crawford is a good player and has looked really comfortable in the CM position, but i doubt Nolan will play him on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Crawford is a good player and has looked really comfortable in the CM position, but i doubt Nolan will play him on a regular basis.
    Yeah, I can't see it either, but yesterday Hewitt was a traffic cone. Every time we aren't on top, he becomes a traffic cone, he needs to start producing results otherwise he is deadweight

I hope it works too, but MY concern is with such an influx of new players, does Nolly have the nous to pick the right ones to blend with what he already has. The high-profile ones will want to be picked to play first but will they get their pick over our established first-team players? He might have to try a different formation to accomodate old and new. It's a steep learning curve and there the danger lies.

Good luck Kevin, and I hope your money is well spent, Alan.

I feel the problem with this division is diversity, not only playing football on the ground, but going over the top when needed, in other words a mix, but where is our option for a ball winner?

P.S. bang on with hustle and bustle, thats league 2 all over.
    Last edited by macstop; 15-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.

If you're going to play with only two central midfielders, both need to be ball winners, as well as having very high energy levels and good mobility, because the chances are that they will be outnumbered a lot of the time. Bishop and Ravenhill in 2009/10 both had that energy and could put their foot in, albeit Bishop was the better footballer with the capability to play at higher levels.

We haven't seen enough of Crawford and Patching yet to know what they bring to the party, but last season Husin looked a bit too lightweight to survive with just one central midfield partner, and when Noble later played alongside Hewitt, Elliott was virtually on his own. In a 4-4-2 the main job of the central two is to win possession and play the simple pass to the wide players whose job it is to provide the creative spark. If Noble's intention is to play passing football, we have to get the ball off the opposition first. Yesterday we looked incapable of doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    If you're going to play with only two central midfielders, both need to be ball winners, as well as having very high energy levels and good mobility, because the chances are that they will be outnumbered a lot of the time. Bishop and Ravenhill in 2009/10 both had that energy and could put their foot in, albeit Bishop was the better footballer with the capability to play at higher levels.

We haven't seen enough of Crawford and Patching yet to know what they bring to the party, but last season Husin looked a bit too lightweight to survive with just one central midfield partner, and when Noble later played alongside Hewitt, Elliott was virtually on his own. In a 4-4-2 the main job of the central two is to win possession and play the simple pass to the wide players whose job it is to provide the creative spark. If Noble's intention is to play passing football, we have to get the ball off the opposition first. Yesterday we looked incapable of doing that.
    Yes i am inclined to agree with your view, think Elliot Hewitt's best spell at the club came when he played along side Yates in a 4-4-2 imo.

My concern is that we've still got same back 4, bar the keepr

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast