+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    You're concerned that we have the defence that was the third best in the league last season?
    It might have been but when we come up against anyone with pace (aka Coventry) we struggle. I am concerned how slow our central defenders are.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    It might have been but when we come up against anyone with pace (aka Coventry) we struggle. I am concerned how slow our central defenders are.
    Hasn’t been addressed and recruitment non existent in this area. We have pace to pin teams deep..but no CB with a great deal to recover goal side when countered.

Most teams will come with a counterattack plan this season.
    Last edited by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH; 15-07-2018 at 05:59 PM.

In the Coventry games..it was more a case of them having pace at the back and us not having any up top..they pushed really high (on the opening day especially) Forte gave them a bit to think about in the next 3.
    Last edited by KeepTheMagpieFlyingH; 15-07-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I've never been convinced that adding a third midfielder is the solution if the first two aren't strong enough, certainly in the lower leagues anyway. From what I've seen when we've played with three central midfielders, it tends to make each individual a little more complacent about doing their job defensively, thinking there's always someone else to back them up. Conversely, having only two central midfielders keeps them on their toes, knowing they have to take responsibility and make the tackle.

I accept you can have deep lying midfielders or attacking midfielders in certain formations like a 4-2-3-1, but I'm not sure there are such things as 'defensive' or 'attacking' central midfielders. To my mind, you're either a good all-round central midfielder, or you're not, and in 4-4-2 you need two good central midfielders.
    Good points, but my hopes are set on a Liverpool or Warnock era 4-3-3. I think we have the players for it. If you see the videos of Boldewijn he does most of his damage in the inside-forward positions. I'm hoping Hemmings is a similar type of player and the two can play either side of Dennis. With 2 good CBs and 3 in midfield Jones and Tootle can join in from the back. Something like Hewitt Vaughn and Husin/Kellett looks OK to me. KN's probably not going to do anything like that, but Centre Mid next season might be a season-long search for the right duo again, and Yates will continue to be mentioned a lot on this board.

Apparently, according to some Forest mates we’ve got a great tackler and ball winner in Vaughan.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    Apparently, according to some Forest mates we’ve got a great tackler and ball winner in Vaughan.
    I've seen every minute Vaughan has played in a Notts shirt so far (Rolls Royce XI, Basford, Derby) and I'm still not entirely sure what to think. You can tell he has played at a higher level because he never resorts to hoofball, always looking to play his way out from the back. Mixed results on that so far, he has twice given the opposition the ball in dangerous areas, but he has also managed to keep possession a number of times and move it forward when it would normally get the big boot. He's not big enough to be a physical player, but that didn't stop the likes of Willie Carlin. He does put himself about a bit, and if Nolan can get him to adapt to League 2 football I think he'll turn out to be a useful addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    Vaughan, will do you proud TD, as long as he stays fit. On his day, he is/was one the Championships decent midfielders.
    Wish we had him 5 years younger.

As it was a friendly I would imagine Vaughan and others would have been told not to go in for the tackle too hard

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    As it was a friendly I would imagine Vaughan and others would have been told not to go in for the tackle too hard
    I think the whole team took that instruction a bit too literally in the first half against Derby.

Don’t you think that Bryson went out there with a point to prove having not been in the previous managers plans? He definitely seemed to be one of derbys best players on the day, and has always impressed when I have seen them albeit just on tv, found it strange when he ended up at Cardiff not that I know much.

They pressed well as a team which we are unlikely to encounter this season, hopefully that’s the explanation as to why we played a bit more hoof ball than we as fans wanted to see. Also we came unprepared Nolan wouldn’t have any idea how Derby would set up, that won’t be the case for most of the league games this season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast