+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right & proper Ownership? Potential law suit

Right & proper Ownership? Potential law suit

Watching the farce of the 11 years & the lies which are repeatedly reported to the Geordie nation, I wonder how Mr Ashley can be considered a 'right & proper owner'?

Perhaps he is ensuring that the club is doesn't go bankrupt, perhaps not. When he bought the club there was around 70-80million debt with players still being paid for on the never-never. However the debt seems to have doubled to 140million present day.

When you consider the cultural significance of NUFC to the people & the city of Newcastle. The Park, St James' stadium stands on was a gift from the city to the football club, it is the very heart beat of the Geordie nation.

I am sure the people of Blackburn feel the same pain with regard to the Vankies who have destroyed their club over the last few years.

My question is, do other people think that if we all put some money together in a 'kick starter' / 'fund raiser' we could sue the FA & Premier League for their negligence in green-lighting the sale of our clubs to people who have no emotional connection or understand of what the club(s) mean to the people?

My thought is that a law suit of say £50 Billion would definitely peak the interest of some seriously heavy weight legal firms & cause a huge amount of controversy in the national media.

The issue is that we sit passive while our clubs & our identity is ripped from us.

I'm pretty sure the Leeds fans & the Blackburn fans would also lend weight to the complaint.

Pretty much any club who has suffered at the hands of poor ownership, Hull, Cardiff etc with their foreign owners coming in and completely misunderstanding the culture of the game & the identity of each club/people from the community who bleed for their team.

In this modern age we are able to organise on-line to protest all manner of things.

Wouldn't it be nice to challenge the establishment on something that is actually close to everyone's hearts.

Was their a right and proper test back then?
    Not sure when it was brought in

Quote Originally Posted by AP69 View Post
    Was their a right and proper test back then?
    Not sure when it was brought in
    Fairly sure it was just proving you had the money.

THe much more rigorous one now is because of Pompey i think? One of their owners bought them with money he didn't actually have but did have on paper or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Fairly sure it was just proving you had the money.

THe much more rigorous one now is because of Pompey i think? One of their owners bought them with money he didn't actually have but did have on paper or something.

'Right and Proper' they look at the finances of the potential owners. This rule has been in place since the Premier League has been in existence.

However most people seem to be able to snake their way around this as Jammy mentioned with Pompey, look at them now (not that they were a big deal in the first place but with 'Arry the Bung in charge they certainly punched above their weight for a few seasons), dropped through the leagues like the team across the Tyne. Sunderland, Leeds, Liverpool under the previous ownership, Blackburn, etc, etc.

Another criminal who bought a Premier League team is that co(k smoker, Thaksin Shinawatra. The former Thai businessman/criminal bought Man City with money he stole from the Thai people during his time as the Prime Minister. He then did time in Jail for his crimes (not sure if he's still banged up in Bangkok or not, not that I give a sh!t).

But I think we could probably find 100,000 - 250,000 football fans from across the leagues who would join the cause.

I'd be happy to contact legal professionals to see what the possibilities are.

So no one is interested in doing anything proactive about the current owner?

I'm not surprised, following the posts on this forum for about 8-10 years the feeling is that everyone likes to b!tch and moan but when it comes to action - nothing... Pathetic.

I guess it's a case of 'you get the owner/government you deserve'

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

I'm not surprised, following the posts on this forum for about 8-10 years the feeling is that everyone likes to b!tch and moan but when it comes to action - nothing... Pathetic.

What do you suggest we do, though?

There are valid reasons for folk not staying away just as there are valid reasons for doing so. If I genuinely thought it would work then I'd do it like a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

Do you know of any hitman we could contact?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    What do you suggest we do, though?

There are valid reasons for folk not staying away just as there are valid reasons for doing so. If I genuinely thought it would work then I'd do it like a shot.
    From my original post:

My question is, do other people think that if we all put some money together in a 'kick starter' / 'fund raiser' we could sue the FA & Premier League for their negligence in green-lighting the sale of our clubs to people who have no emotional connection or understand of what the club(s) mean to the people?

My thought is that a law suit of say £50 Billion would definitely peak the interest of some seriously heavy weight legal firms & cause a huge amount of controversy in the national media.

The people who run the FA & Premier League are responsible for people like Ashley, Venkies, Vincent Tan etc wrecking clubs.

Time for the fans to take the clubs back.

Crowd sourcing finances to put up a legal challenge to change the rules of club ownership or just massive compensation which could then be used to purchase the club. All the 'stake holders' in the crowd funding would then ideally become share holders in the club.

This group of fans would then control the club, set up the board of directors and vote each year on how the club is run.

That is my vision. What does everyone else think?

To be honest, I don't think many of our fans would have a problem contributing if there was a realistic chance of a successful outcome and I agree with what was said earlier-fans of other clubs would be up for it too.

My problem isn't with the idea per se-and let me add that I like the way you're thinking out of the box and trying to come up with a plan-it's more a case of my own ignorance of any legal basis for the validity of any lawsuit. My initial thought would be that there is no legal requirement for a prospective owner to either know or care about what the club means to its supporters or for them to have an emotional connection. I don't know what the legal requirements are for a prospective owner to pass the fit and proper test but I'm guessing that the aforementioned issues aren't covered. Anyone know?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)