+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT- Smart Meters

OT- Smart Meters

E.O.N want to change our meters as they are old, and also suggest having a smart installed at the same time, although its not compulsory. Anyone on EON got one and is it with having one. I've read if you change suppliers they stop working unless they are the newer ones. Is there a standing charge for them. I'm not sure what to do, so any help from you guys.

Not on EON but, first thing to remember, was that the power companies are under orders to get everyone on smart meters.

Energy companies appear to be telling their customers that installing a smart meter is compulsory, despite the Government abandoning its plan to have one in every home within three years.

While it had been official policy that every home in the country would have a smart meter by 2020, the Queen’s Speech subtly downgraded this requirement to every home being “offered” a smart meter – meaning that they are no longer compulsory.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of smart meters have been replaced after their owners switched providers, rendering them inoperable. And new research from comparethemarket.com also reveals a fifth of Brits do not want a smart meter fitted - around half due to concerns about the way data is collected.

E.On, the energy giant, has written to customers to tell them that old meters are being “phased out” and suggesting that they must have a smart meter installed. A call centre worker also told a customer that the Government would soon be making smart meters mandatory – an incorrect claim.

Smart meters, which can track energy usage in real time and display it on an easily accessible screen, were first adopted in Britain in 2009, but the roll-out has been plagued with controversy and some customers have found themselves massively overcharged because of faults.

Reader Service: Save on Gas and Electricity with the Telegraph Energy Switching Service
    E.On accepted that its call centre staff had made a mistake and said they would be “rebriefed”, but said it remained committed to rolling out smart meters. A spokesman warned that in the future customers with old-style meters could miss out on special energy tariffs.

“The introduction of smart meters is a ***** upgrade to our national energy infrastructure and they will help significantly transform customers’ experiences for the better,” she said.

“In the short term, customers benefit from greater visibility of their energy use. In the longer term, we’ll be able to offer more innovative tariffs. We recognise that switching to a smart meter is not compulsory; our advisers can discuss the advantages of having a smart meter but are clear that they are not a mandatory requirement.”

I've had one for a year or so with OVO, it was a bit of a novelty to see the bills totting up by the penny at first, but then realised after a while we never looked at it. I unplugged it a couple of months back as it seemed to be using extra electricity!

I have heard of many complaints about them going wrong. A couple of friends got rid of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I've had one for a year or so with OVO, it was a bit of a novelty to see the bills totting up by the penny at first, but then realised after a while we never looked at it. I unplugged it a couple of months back as it seemed to be using extra electricity!
    I am with OVO EP I have saved hundreds of pounds after leaving NPower 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This^^^

There is a novelty effect at first, but all it does is tells you how much you're using. Anyone with half a brain will use min appliances anyrode as they don't wanna pay for using unnecessary leccy.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    This^^^

There is a novelty effect at first, but all it does is tells you how much you're using. Anyone with half a brain will use min appliances anyrode as they don't wanna pay for using unnecessary leccy.
    Exactly, I don't need a meter to tell me if I'm not using something to turn it off. Plus I don't trust the data collection and what it's used for, same with those bloody Alexa or Google hubs, no thanks keep your crap out my house.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I am with OVO EP I have saved hundreds of pounds after leaving NPower 3 years ago.
    I'm with Ebico, AFAIK, one of the very few, not to implement a standing charge.

The reason they are pushing smart meters is so that the energy companies can introduce variable tariffs. Bit like the old economy seven meter only with four or five different tariffs depending on the time of day. So when these variable tariffs come in you will need to have a smart meter to go onto them. Anyone without a smart meter will be on a basic tariff which the energy companies will make sure is expensive, thereby 'encouraging' people to have a smart meter installed.

Quote Originally Posted by salmagundi View Post
    The reason they are pushing smart meters is so that the energy companies can introduce variable tariffs. Bit like the old economy seven meter only with four or five different tariffs depending on the time of day. So when these variable tariffs come in you will need to have a smart meter to go onto them. Anyone without a smart meter will be on a basic tariff which the energy companies will make sure is expensive, thereby 'encouraging' people to have a smart meter installed.

We have a smart meter, it is interesting to note what uses the power most, but like others, we don't look at the gadget much now. Makes it easier to read the meter though!

Not bothered in the slightest about data collection etc.

I reckon though that people get confused about the smart meter. That's the thing in your garage or wherever - not the bit in the house!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast