+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT- Smart Meters

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I reckon though that people get confused about the smart meter. That's the thing in your garage or wherever - not the bit in the house!
    That's the only advantage, it still sends automated meter readings even though the thing in the house is unplugged.

The smart meters replace your old gas and electric meters. As others have said the gadget in your house is just displaying your current usage, it is supposed to help people be more efficient with their energy usage by having immediate access to their consumption in pounds, shillings and pence.

It is quite frightening though when you first monitor it, for example at the moment I have a tv on plus my computer equipment and I am currently using 381kwh or 5p per hour, if i put the kettle on for a brew (which I do a lot) that suddenly jumps up to 50p per hour!

Best to just ignore it, less stressful that way!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    We have a smart meter, it is interesting to note what uses the power most, but like others, we don't look at the gadget much now. Makes it easier to read the meter though!

Not bothered in the slightest about data collection etc.

I reckon though that people get confused about the smart meter. That's the thing in your garage or wherever - not the bit in the house!

Absolutely, the smart meter is the thingy on the wall outside, the bit in your house is just a monitor and doesn't need to be plugged in/on at all if you don't want the bloody thing. You ever opened the door to a smart meter and looked at the user interface inside? OMG, more buttons than Cadburys !!!

I refused to have one, can't see the point. I only use what I need to use so how can it save me money?

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I refused to have one, can't see the point. I only use what I need to use so how can it save me money?

It shows your consumption. The only way it can save you money, is by you, altering the amount you use. The 'smart' aspect is that it sends your consumption direct to your supplier, no meter reading needed. Another poor soul out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    It shows your consumption. The only way it can save you money, is by you, altering the amount you use. The 'smart' aspect is that it sends your consumption direct to your supplier, no meter reading needed. Another poor soul out of a job.
    Another reason not to have one, let's save on wages but we won't pass that onto the customers, just to the share holders so we can make even more money whilst people end up on job seekers allowance. Then we can tar everyone with the stigma of being a tramp if you're on benefits irrespective of personal circumstance. I'll keep him in a job as long as I can ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Their purpose is not to save YOU money, it is to give the suppliers the opportunity to make more money from YOU. Wait till a future major TV event is on and they lift the rate for those couple of hours, or it is another really cold day and so they set a higher rate "because demand is high and we have to import" or some such excuse.

I am with Robin Hood energy & have had that many problems with billing/meter reading in the past that i actually asked for a smart meter to be fitted, automatic meter readings etc where can you go wrong? A year down the line & I have (after many hours & God knows how much money spent on the phone) got it sorted after my fuel consumption suddenly doubled overnight. Be careful what you wish for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12