+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What now for Russia?

What now for Russia?

The World Cup has been a great success with many nations seeing parts of Russia few have been, likewise many Russians have now seen people from all over the world they probably never heard of. (and maybe consorted with them in line with Putins instructions.)
    Putin is empowered by the success. What will he do now?
    Is the cork out of the bottle? Will Russia open up or are they going to try to return to the pre WC situation?
    Will Donald’s meeting mess it up or will they cuddle? The handshake will be interesting,
    Interesting times with 12 Russians charged with election interference in the US and novichok two black spots.

Remember the alleged Russian/Syrian chemical attack in Douma ? There was a hysterical reaction to it in the West, almost kicking off another world war with air strikes on Syria. I was very dubious about it, so was BT, so was journalist Peter Hitchens. The OPCW has produced it's report on the alleged attack, our government and media, in line with it's peculiar, self defeating ante-Russian stance has ignored it, so it's left to Hitchens to report the truth.

Back in April I was treated with something very like contempt because I refused to be rushed into supporting a Western attack on Syria.

This illegal assault was supposedly justified because of alleged gas attacks by the Syrian government in Douma.

As I said at the time, there was no independent evidence that this had actually happened, and also no good reason to rush into action.

The area affected had at that time been under the control of a savage Islamist militia, and so Western journalists and diplomats could not safely go there.

But lurid and distressing reports on the supposed atrocity were prepared by media organisations hundreds or thousands of miles away on the basis of material provided by propaganda sources. They were given great prominence.

Now, almost unreported, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has produced its first report on Douma. The OPCW is not perfect, and has sometimes got carried away, but on this occasion it has been properly cautious.

In April, a major and rather self-important Left-wing national newspaper wrote that unidentified doctors ‘said the symptoms had been consistent with exposure to an organophosphorus substance’.

Now the OPCW says: ‘No organophosphorus nerve agents or their degradation products were detected, either in the environmental samples or in plasma samples from the alleged casualties.’

Seems like Putin and Assad were telling the truth after all, whoever would have thought it ?
    Last edited by sinkov; 16-07-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Russia, Syria and Israel, Yemen and the Saudis, the French, the US and the UK all have conflicted geopolitical and financial reasons and interests in the Middle East. A bit of fake news added to a bit of s-h-i-t stirring all adds to the confusion.

Like Sinkov, Corbyn and myself all said at the time...

Attachment 10305

You are keeping better company these days sinkov!

I'll have to apologise to Jeremy next time I see him BT, for missing him off my list, but you're right he wasn't taken in by the FAKE NEWS either, and received a good kicking in the media for it.

What a motley coalition we've formed here, me, you, Hitchens and Corbyn. That must be a first. If only we could get 59/60 on board, but no doubt he's still in thrall to the BBC/Guardian line on this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    The World Cup has been a great success with many nations seeing parts of Russia few have been, likewise many Russians have now seen people from all over the world they probably never heard of. (and maybe consorted with them in line with Putins instructions.)
    That's a bit patronising don't you think OC, especially from a citizen of a country whose dysfunctional education system is turning out ill educated numpties by the thousand every year. Are you an expert on the Russian education system, is it really worse than ours ? Are Russians generally less well educated than your average Brit ?

Morning all!

I am happy to report that I was also against the knee-jerk reaction of bombing Syria.

This could be quite a coalition. It is supported by the Daily Mail, Guardian, me, BT and Sinkov.

I wouldn't trust Putin or Assad (or May or Trump) as far as I could throw them.

What shall we call our new alliance?

Prepare for Government.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    That's a bit patronising don't you think OC, especially from a citizen of a country whose dysfunctional education system is turning out ill educated numpties by the thousand every year. Are you an expert on the Russian education system, is it really worse than ours ? Are Russians generally less well educated than your average Brit ?
    Sorry Sinkov
    This thread wasn’t about education systems or bombing. Can’t we discuss the thread which was about whether the WC would lead to Russia opening up and put the other stuff on the threads with those titles. There’s loads about bombing elsewhere why put them here too?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Morning all!

I am happy to report that I was also against the knee-jerk reaction of bombing Syria.

This could be quite a coalition. It is supported by the Daily Mail, Guardian, me, BT and Sinkov.

I wouldn't trust Putin or Assad (or May or Trump) as far as I could throw them.

What shall we call our new alliance?

Prepare for Government.
    On a serious note 1959-60 I can feel the tension amongst the politically minded , we are all fed up of the present incumbents at number 10 but IMHO Corbyn is not the answer to this Brexit debacle.

All we need is someone who promises and seems capable of delivering a new order and a new political party could well appear. One that is inclusive, proactive with values and a moral code and sense of purpose. I'm dreaming aren't I?

Not dreaming at all BT.

I reckon that most people will agree with each other on 90% of issues.

It's a relatively small number of important issues that get people arguing (Brexit being the biggy at the moment).

And on Brexit there is no consensus at all within the main two parties (that's why I think it essential that the people get the final say). Plenty of Labour voters want a hard Brexit and plenty of Tories are remoaners, so it is not a party political thing.

As always, the parties are pretty close together on taxation/public spending issues - even though a lot of noise is generated about the minutiae. A lot of arguing about not very much.

The big question about a new centrist party would be how it was funded. At the moment the Lib Dems are £££ behind the funding of the other parties who can rely on big business and the unions. As I keep saying, there is no free lunch and, once one of these parties gets elected, it is payback time.

Difficult to get funding for a new party without it being beholden to it's financial backers.

A big reason why I support the Lib Dems - even though I have to stick my hands in my pockets regularly!

A big reason why I support the Lib Dems - even though I have to stick my hands in my pockets regularly!

Why do they play pocket billiards.

This thread was about Russia not Brexit or new parties ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)