+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: World Cup nostalgia

World Cup nostalgia

So Russia 2018 has ended and France are the champions. Been a great tournament that nicely hydrates the football drought we get every other year during the close season.
    So thinking about World Cups over the years, what is your top list for World Cups in your life time and why. Rule is only World Cups you were alive to witness count.
    Here's mine, starting at the bottom.

9. USA 1994- I was 14 at the time and just couldn't get interested because England didn't qualify. A lot of my mates supported Ireland, as no British team qualified and everyone started remembering they had an Irish great grandma. But I just couldn't get interested and it mostly passed me by, which is a shame as looking back it appeared quite an entertaining tournament

8. Brazil 2014- Dire. England were an embarrassment, the only point they could muster was a 0-0 draw with Costa Rica. It was painful and left me dreading Euro 2016, but surely that couldn't have turned out any worse?

7. South Africa 2010- Slightly better than Brazil but only just. Scraped out of a ridiculously easy Group only to be taught a brutal lesson by eventual winners Germany. Did Lampards shot cross the line? Who cares, it wouldn't have made a jot of difference

6. France 98- This was a landmark tournament for me as it was my first World Cup spent in a pub. Great times, great music, cheap beer in student bars and a superb atmosphere. That Michael Owen goal was immense. It felt harsh when England went out, usual controversy. Main down side to a generally good World Cup was hosts vs current holders in the final

5. Germany 2006- Was stupidly optimistic about this one as on paper we had a good team. But as ever that wasn't to be but we performed pretty well until we met a half decent side. The tournament overall was good and was nice to see plenty of countries qualifying that hadn't before (Togo, Ghana, Angola, Trinidad and Tobago). Was also nice to see Italy win and laugh at Zidanes stupidity in the final

4. Japan/Korea 2002- Another landmark for me as I was backpacking Australia at the time and got to experience an England World Cup as a "foreigner." The atmosphere in the Aussie bars was amazing with fellow backpackers and plenty of locals who had adopted England as their team for the tournament. Qualified from the "group of death" with a victory by the skin of our teeth against an excellent Argentina. Then went onto destroy Denmark in the next round. It was looking stupidly optimistic again until Ronaldhino made Seaman look silly, but at least the lager was cheap and the sun was out

3. Russia 2018- An excellent tournament with some amazing games. OK so England blew probably their best chance to win the damn thing but I still felt the approach and team ethic was fresh and was much needed after the wilderness of Brazil and South Africa, with bleak Euro tournaments in between. VAR was a constant talking point. There'll be documentaries and clip shows aplenty about how we "should" have won this one. But lets be honest, we'd never have beaten France

2. Mexico 86- Really tough deciding this to be second place, my first World Cup and the event that got me into football. Can only just remember it but the impact of it will stay with me forever and of course, Maradona and the "hand of god" moment are unforgettable. Kids all over the country shouted "Maradona!" from that moment forward every time someone handballed at a "jumpers for goalposts" epic kick about on the local park. England robbed again but it's something we can always rely on when we know deep down we're not good enough. Also the theme tune Aztec Gold was immense https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3-1QLzJzM

1. Italia 90- Well it had to be this one and I know it's purely for nostalgia. I was ten years old and after falling in love with football at Mexico 86, I was truly hooked and waited for Italia 90 like it was a bonus Christmas. Panini sticker albums, mini Coca Cola footballs, a haunting theme tune that brings it all back every time I hear it. England got the nation behind them, THIS is the one we should have won. As a tournament it has been slated for it's lack of goals and dull gameplay, but for me the excitement of seeing Cameroon beat Argentina at the opening game is what defines a World Cup. Eccentric players like Colombia's Higuita in goal (cheering him on but laughing when he made a mighty balls up against Cameroon). Seeing a Serie B unknown named Schillaci set the tournament alight and win the golden boot. It was a great time, even John Barnes' rapping couldn't spoil it

Honorary mention: Spain 82- I was born by then but have no recollection as I was 2. From what I hear, great tournament

Thanks for reading, hope I've not bored anyone to tears, would be great to hear others' opinions

Much the same mate. We're pretty much the same age and look to have shared similar experiences through these tournaments . I'd be tempted to put this tournament 2nd to Italia 90 though, for the simple fact we had a decent go at it and went out fair and square without any of the usual misfortune or controversial drama.
    Some pride has been restored after a decade of disappointment.

Information on a couple of earlier World Cups ... see below..
    Last edited by mikemiller; 16-07-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Old enough to have seen 1966. England and West Germany had some players who went on to become legends. For England Gordon Banks, Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore and for West Germany Franz Beckenbauer, Uwe Seeler.
    The tournament was generally a bit of a clog-fest , but Eusebio stood out as a star (after Pele had been crocked) , and the "unknowns" North Korea played great football and caused a few upsets. Exciting final though. World Cup song - World Cup Willie by Lonnie Donegan

!970 was a much more entertaining competition - probably the best ever. Banks save from Pele. England lost to West Germany after being 2-1 up in a great game for the neutrals. Excellent Brazil team that deservedly won the tournament. World Cup song - Mexico by Long John Baldry.

Italia 90 for me.