+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Real Thing

The Real Thing

So now the World cup is over and Orgoners little summer league is over, subject to the publication of the final results, it is nearly time for the real thing to start = predicting the results of our games.

I know you are all thinking 'I can't get by without you' and 'can you feel the force' (someone look it up for Billy please) but If anyone wants to run the league this season please feel free to volunteer, I seem to recall I took it on when my predecessor slid off mid season.

Barring any volunteer - how do you want the scoring to work this time. Last season it was 3 for an exact score prediction, one for predicting how many we score correctly and one for the result; so you can get 1 , 2 or 3 points per game. Last season I threw in a couple of extra point opportunities for predicting the first player to score.

So thoughts please, and reply early as the first game is only a couple of weeks away - Stoke at home and a 4.30 kick off, no doubt one of our posters will be sat in his seat at 3pm :-) if not there already.

First off.... thanks for doing it. A lot of fun for some of us.

My one thought is that I think you should do the extra point opportunity a lot more. Kind of defeats the purpose of a prediction league if you have it set up where someone just predicts the same score all season and ends up way up on the table. Football is not a high scoring game so if you predict 1-0 or 2-0 every game you have a pretty good chance to winning.

Like an index fund in the stock market. If you guess the direction of the market you'll do fine but not really a skill set test.

A bonus each game gives an incentive to asses each game on it's merit. Makes more work for you unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    So now the World cup is over and Orgoners little summer league is over, subject to the publication of the final results, it is nearly time for the real thing to start = predicting the results of our games.

I know you are all thinking 'I can't get by without you' and 'can you feel the force' (someone look it up for Billy please) but If anyone wants to run the league this season please feel free to volunteer, I seem to recall I took it on when my predecessor slid off mid season.

Barring any volunteer - how do you want the scoring to work this time. Last season it was 3 for an exact score prediction, one for predicting how many we score correctly and one for the result; so you can get 1 , 2 or 3 points per game. Last season I threw in a couple of extra point opportunities for predicting the first player to score.

So thoughts please, and reply early as the first game is only a couple of weeks away - Stoke at home and a 4.30 kick off, no doubt one of our posters will be sat in his seat at 3pm :-) if not there already.
    I am happy with what you choose. Your ideas are sound and everyone will know the rules before the competition begins.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    First off.... thanks for doing it. A lot of fun for some of us.

My one thought is that I think you should do the extra point opportunity a lot more. Kind of defeats the purpose of a prediction league if you have it set up where someone just predicts the same score all season and ends up way up on the table. Football is not a high scoring game so if you predict 1-0 or 2-0 every game you have a pretty good chance to winning.

Like an index fund in the stock market. If you guess the direction of the market you'll do fine but not really a skill set test.

A bonus each game gives an incentive to asses each game on it's merit. Makes more work for you unfortunately.

Fair point -so Scorer and time within three minutes either way - one point for each or no goals for one point

Firstly thanks for running this it compliments Orgoner's prediction league very well and I'd be happy to support you continuing this season. One thing that takes a bit of the shine off for me is posters just saying 1-0 2-1 or whatever at the beginning of the season for all matches, surely that takes any 'skill' out of predicting each match, it's just playing the percentages. Would it cause too much upset to ban blanket predicting?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Firstly thanks for running this it compliments Orgoner's prediction league very well and I'd be happy to support you continuing this season. One thing that takes a bit of the shine off for me is posters just saying 1-0 2-1 or whatever at the beginning of the season for all matches, surely that takes any 'skill' out of predicting each match, it's just playing the percentages. Would it cause too much upset to ban blanket predicting?
    thought this thread was going to be an advert for Coca Cola

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    I suppose we could insist that they have to post for every game thread, even if they do predict the same scoreline every time?

I was toying with doing that in "my" competition, with nothing predicted treated as a strike - although this would only really impact Nasty.

Id say you can win this election unopposed Cal boy, and seeing as you did such a good job the last term.

Just concentrate on the results and leave the musical quotes to those who know.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Id say you can win this election unopposed Cal boy, and seeing as you did such a good job the last term.

Just concentrate on the results and leave the musical quotes to those who know.

I thought the 70's was before your time?

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    I suppose we could insist that they have to post for every game thread, even if they do predict the same scoreline every time?

I was toying with doing that in "my" competition, with nothing predicted treated as a strike - although this would only really impact Nasty.
    Yes, can't stop people posting same score weeks in and out, but why would you? I think it would put a stop to lazy blanket predicting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)