+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something at ER, doesnt feel Right

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Despite the rhetoric and perceptions of what investing in a so called 'big name' like Bielsa might signal, it's really no change; we spent big last season (and it failed) and now it's a season of austerity and we're still wedded to this idea that a foreign coach with no experience of English leagues let alone the Championship is somehow going to be successful. I've read somewhere that we are being well backed for promotion this year, I don't know who is backing us but they don't know much about LUFC.
    We spent a lot of money on (by and large), a pile.of sh1t. No wonder it didn't work out when even most fans could work out that we had hired a bunch of chancers.

We don't know what Bielsa "requirements" were, and he might turn out to be a busted flush, who knows? We DO know that he wasn't cheap, that Radrizzani has dipped deep on the basis that he thinks Bielsa can do the job.

Let's see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    In our terms we spent 'big' but in reality compared to top championship clubs our net spend was very low.
    Joel, we spent nearly 4 times as much as Blunts and finished 3 or 4 places lower last season, and twice as much as Dudds in the season they gained promotion. Said it before, and I'll keep on saying, it's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on that counts.

If Bielsa thinks he can do something with what we have without splashing the cash, good on him. We'll see if he can work magic.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Joel, we spent nearly 4 times as much as Blunts and finished 3 or 4 places lower last season, and twice as much as Dudds in the season they gained promotion. Said it before, and I'll keep on saying, it's not how much you spend, it's what you spend it on that counts.

If Bielsa thinks he can do something with what we have without splashing the cash, good on him. We'll see if he can work magic.
    Thats two examples. What about Villa, Derby, Fulham, Cardiff, Wolves, Boro?

+ Sheff U had the novelty of a squad that had won promotion + been together and won together for a while.

I suspect Biesla has some transfer dealings going.

Let's face it. the top clubs have more players than they can play and what better way to season them than to send to a coach of his reknown as well as a club that plays to big crowds and passions.

we've never gotten the top clubs best loanees. In fact, I can recall any loans from any of the top clubs except for the lad from scumchester last year. He didn't even make it that whole year.

we've already gotten 2 from chelsea this season. even a couple of Man city loanees would be a much better haul than we ussually get.

obviously waiting around for teams to determine who they send will be a last minute business. very tough on the player, squad and coaching staff but well worth it if we get some of quality. it's a long season and some of these players will have a lot to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Thats two examples. What about Villa, Derby, Fulham, Cardiff, Wolves, Boro?

+ Sheff U had the novelty of a squad that had won promotion + been together and won together for a while.
    Of.course you can find examples on both sides, but of those you mention, how many got automatic promotion?

As for.Blades, yes they had a squad that was "together", as.much psychologically as anything else. Maybe that's what Bielsa wants to promote, making a group of players into a team that plays for each other and compensates for the skills gaps with team spirit (Blunts were not the most skilful last season but boy did they play as a unit!).

We're just over 2 weeks from the closure if the transfer window. Any player we get now will have next to chance.of integrating. We should play the hand we have, then invest if necessary in January.

Of.course you can find examples on both sides, but of those you mention, how many got automatic promotion?

As for.Blades, yes they had a squad that was "together", as.much psychologically as anything else. Maybe that's what Bielsa wants to promote, making a group of players into a team that plays for each other and compensates for the skills gaps with team spirit (Blunts were not the most skilful last season but boy did they play as a unit!).

We're just over 2 weeks from the closure if the transfer window. Any player we get now will have next to chance.of integrating. We should play the hand we have, then invest if necessary in January.
    Nah WTF. January should only be used for topping up. We need them and we need them now.

It all hangs on the striker who we will bring in to spearhead Bielsas attack. A decent addition (in line with the calibre we have recently been linked with) and I'm sure a new wave of optimism will return .

Not to say that we also need another CB as well but one thing at a time ...

Said on other threads that I'm not entirely averse to the way things have been happening (or not), this close season.

You're right about Bielsa, but by the same token, we know (from past performance) that if he doesn't get his way, he is very likely to simply walk away. He hasn't, yet.

So, if we have the same coach at seasons start, there are some inescapable conclusions;

1. He is content (not necessarily happy) with the squad "as is"
    2. The club has delivered that which he (Bielsa) had as pre-requisites to his signing up as coach
    3. He (Bielsa) believes that the squad can compete, at least until the winter transfer window, by which time his pre-season analysis will be coupled with real evidence from games played

Ok, so Kinnear couldn't string a consistent message together if his life depended on it, Radrizzani seems to have really enjoyed the World Cup, Bielsa has remained very quiet (for a man of his temperament thats significant all on its own), and we haven't heard much from Orta (yippeee!), most of that is good news (particularly Orta being quiet ) and if not, nothing we can do to change matters.

"Interaction" in the past has usually meant making public pronouncements about rumour and scuttlebutt. I'd prefer the club tell us something when there is something to tell us, not when the YEP, Sky, etc ask for a statement about this that or other other rumour.
    Fully agree with your conclusions WTF.

Weeks ago, our management team stated their intention to:
    - offload up to 15 players and replace them with 4/5 quality additions (preferably with experience of the Championship).
    - use the loan market to supplement any purchases (just like Wolves did, although they went for foreign based players)
    - supplement a ‘lean’ squad with youngsters;

So far we’ve:-
    - offloaded a dozen players
    - brought in two 23 year olds that Chelsea consider good enough to keep on their books (both with Championship experience);
    - promoted a number of youngsters into the first team squad.

So…we’re all waiting for some marquee signings. If Phil Hay is to be believed, then the quality of player we’re linked with is as good as we could hope for. In World Cup years markets are always slow to get moving (only Forest have done any real business), so I’m still hopeful those dominoes with start to fall. I would be shocked if Bielsa hasn't used his contacts to set up deals.

Just like you WTF, I like the silence…seems way more professional and considered. No bull****, just hard graft with a ‘real’ coach. And, as you state, if Bielsa is staying quiet then he must be happy with progress. Anyway, the next two weeks will tell us everything…starting the Forest Green, today!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    Despite the rhetoric and perceptions of what investing in a so called 'big name' like Bielsa might signal, it's really no change; we spent big last season (and it failed) and now it's a season of austerity and we're still wedded to this idea that a foreign coach with no experience of English leagues let alone the Championship is somehow going to be successful. I've read somewhere that we are being well backed for promotion this year, I don't know who is backing us but they don't know much about LUFC.
    The fact that the bookies fancy us can only be good news. They're privy to the info we never hear, so I'm guessing they know stuff we don't...as based on dealings 'so far' there's no way we should be fifth favourite for promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintadore View Post
    Fully agree with your conclusions WTF.

Weeks ago, our management team stated their intention to:
    - offload up to 15 players and replace them with 4/5 quality additions (preferably with experience of the Championship).
    - use the loan market to supplement any purchases (just like Wolves did, although they went for foreign based players)
    - supplement a ‘lean’ squad with youngsters;

So far we’ve:-
    - offloaded a dozen players
    - brought in two 23 year olds that Chelsea consider good enough to keep on their books (both with Championship experience);
    - promoted a number of youngsters into the first team squad.

So…we’re all waiting for some marquee signings. If Phil Hay is to be believed, then the quality of player we’re linked with is as good as we could hope for. In World Cup years markets are always slow to get moving (only Forest have done any real business), so I’m still hopeful those dominoes with start to fall. I would be shocked if Bielsa hasn't used his contacts to set up deals.

Just like you WTF, I like the silence…seems way more professional and considered. No bull****, just hard graft with a ‘real’ coach. And, as you state, if Bielsa is staying quiet then he must be happy with progress. Anyway, the next two weeks will tell us everything…starting the Forest Green, today!!!!!!!!!
    We'll all be happy if you are both right. Let's hope so. I still believe that we need two strikers, because we haven't got any, plus at least one centre back and a creative midfielder. If those are the signings we get, they have championship experience, and are significantly better than what we had last season, I have no doubt that Bielsa can get the remaining 10 or 11 that will play, up to a better standard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)