+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Derry steps

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    Still remember running up the Derry steps over 40 years ago and taking in the sight ,sure my first game was a midweek fixture with floodlights can't for the life of me remember who we played.
    It's a tired stadium from the south seated perspective ,hopefully in the not to distant future we move onto modern purpose built facility for the next 100 years and beyond
    It dosent have to be a ****hole though that's the sad thing.

I get the business thing why it's better (We don't have to) move but the south side of the group x dosent have to be like it is.

Still think it will be a very sad day when/if we close Dens and some folk may use to stop going.

Shiny new dosent automatically mean an increase in attendance.

People are creatures of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    It dosent have to be a ****hole though that's the sad thing.

I get the business thing why it's better (We don't have to) move but the south side of the group x dosent have to be like it is.

Still think it will be a very sad day when/if we close Dens and some folk may use to stop going.

Shiny new dosent automatically mean an increase in attendance.

People are creatures of habit.
    South side of ground

It will be a sad day when we leave Dens that I agree with that but it has to happen to generate revenue more than 90 minutes every two weeks on average ,the farmers have shown the business case works gone are days of 20000 through the gates in the 50's and 60's.
    People will attend the Campy nou IF the football is entertaining and we at least get a decent cup run now and then it's not that far out the town.
    My work colleague is an Aberdeen fan and he is genuinely concerned what the support will be if they hit a rough spell as the new ground is something like 4/5 miles from the town centre ,don't know if that's accurate just going by what he said.

It will be a sad day when we leave Dens that I agree with that but it has to happen to generate revenue more than 90 minutes every two weeks on average ,the farmers have shown the business case works gone are days of 20000 through the gates in the 50's and 60's.
    People will attend the Campy nou IF the football is entertaining and we at least get a decent cup run now and then it's not that far out the town.
    My work colleague is an Aberdeen fan and he is genuinely concerned what the support will be if they hit a rough spell as the new ground is something like 4/5 miles from the town centre ,don't know if that's accurate just going by what he said.
    Westhill is at least ten miles from Aberdeen centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Westhill is at least ten miles from Aberdeen centre.
    Geez oh ,never realised it was that far so it's bus or car then ,I suppose a lot of grounds were maybe on the outskirts of towns when they were built with the exception on the bigot brothers and the two capital teams...maybe just regressing a hundred years later and moving to the outer edges again...

Geez oh ,never realised it was that far so it's bus or car then ,I suppose a lot of grounds were maybe on the outskirts of towns when they were built with the exception on the bigot brothers and the two capital teams...maybe just regressing a hundred years later and moving to the outer edges again...
    AWPR will pass fairly close but you still have to get to the AWPR. People have whinged that Campy is 'out the way' for some in Dundee but Aberdeen's new place is properly 'out the way'.

Today, whilst reading your above post, I realised that in fact the Derry steps do have a very obvious and invaluable use. They are used for the purposes of hose storage. Were the steps to be recommissioned where would these hoses go?
    This evening I was at Dens to pay my respects in the Alan Gilzean Lounge where Gillie’s coffin was lying.
    I spoke to Jim Thomson who informed me that the hoses lying near the top of the Derry steps are being used to hose down the seats and the hoses will no longer be there after the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    This evening I was at Dens to pay my respects in the Alan Gilzean Lounge where Gillie’s coffin was lying.
    I spoke to Jim Thomson who informed me that the hoses lying near the top of the Derry steps are being used to hose down the seats and the hoses will no longer be there after the end of this week.
    Are they hosing a row a day Islay?

They have been there for yonks.

It's an absolute disgrace the state of the place.

How the steps that are open and the back of the enclosure gets a safety certificate is beyond me.

Even klinsman wouldn't have to dive as there's so many trip hazards.

I look forward to my seat being spick and span for Aberdeen game.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    You went to pay your respects to Gillie but couldn't resist bothering Jim with nonsense like that whilst you were there?

You went to pay your respects to Gillie but couldn't resist bothering Jim with nonsense like that whilst you were there?
    Is it nonsense though?

Maybe Islay just being tactful mentioning the hoses instead of the general state of the place.

My question would have been around having a full time stadium manager and the ground being an absolute eyesore.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)