+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: World class players

World class players

Was listening to a canny discussion about the England team and one pundit (not sure who it was) reckoned we didn't have any world class players in the team.

Kane is very, very good but is he world class? I dunno. Other than that, it's spot on.

Made me think, who was the last world class player we had?

Do we have to go back as far as Shearer, Ginola, Beardsley (and I reckon folk would look at those last two and think 'hmmm'.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Was listening to a canny discussion about the England team and one pundit (not sure who it was) reckoned we didn't have any world class players in the team.

Kane is very, very good but is he world class? I dunno. Other than that, it's spot on.

Do we have to go back as far as Shearer, Ginola, Beardsley (and I reckon folk would look at those last two and think 'hmmm'.

Thoughts?
    We had more than our fair share in the K.K. and Sir Bob era, at least a half of the team or more in each era and the rest of the team on the fringes.

And how long do we have to wait for the return of those heady days.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    We had more than our fair share in the K.K. and Sir Bob era, at least a half of the team or more in each era and the rest of the team on the fringes.
    Who you thinking then, Pat?

Thoughts?
    by the same token zippity what do world class players bring to a team ? a lot of teams with world class players got nowhere during the world cup

Who you thinking then, Pat?
    Either there or on the fringe. The three you quoted, Albert, Cole, Rob Lee, Sir Les, Asprilla, Solano, Speedo, Robert, even Bellamy and before those Gazza.

And going on from Ron's post, our lot did play as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by ronandtet View Post
    by the same token zippity what do world class players bring to a team ? a lot of teams with world class players got nowhere during the world cup
    This is true. I just think that they are game-changers and can make a team greater than the sum of their parts. They can create moments which tip the balance and win games.

If we'd had a world-class midfielder or forward against Croatia, we might have either converted one of the chances or made better ones, especially in the second half. We were far too predictable and world class players are the ones who can make things happen by doing things out of the ordinary, i.e. by being unpredictable.

Thoughts?

hmm Gerrard anyone?

I dare say had he moved on from Liverpool (say Real Madrid) there would be more of a shout.

I have never seen Steve McManaman but my old man always raved about him.

Not sure if i'd class Gerrard as world class but id put him pretty close to

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)