+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Assombalonga??

I didn't say nobody would be sold to fund new signings.

You said the "chinaman" wouldn't spend money to which I gave you example of where he had spent money.

He may be a naive idiot, but he can't be accused of spending money.

It's not the bell end's fault 15m was spent on Burke.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Key Wanderers View Post
    Anyone fancy this Assombalonga guy from Boro in a swap with Phillips? I'd rather keep Matt if I'm honest and ask for Gayle if Rondon DOES finally go to Newcastle??

Hi by the way, newbie to this forum, be gentle with me!!!!
    Jack Marriot from posh is available for 6.5 mill.
    If Rondon goes, i would hope that the Club would take a look at him. Scored a bag full in league 1 and a lot of them were really classy finishes. Works hard and has an Eye for Goal. Hungry player. If he scores half the amount of Goals in the Championship that he got in league one. He is well worth the asking price.
    Most of Assombalonga's goals are tap ins. Looks a bit of a Donkey tbh. 11million reported asking price?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldricksCunningPlan View Post
    Jack Marriot from posh is available for 6.5 mill.
    If Rondon goes, i would hope that the Club would take a look at him. Scored a bag full in league 1 and a lot of them were really classy finishes. Works hard and has an Eye for Goal. Hungry player. If he scores half the amount of Goals in the Championship that he got in league one. He is well worth the asking price.
    Most of Assombalonga's goals are tap ins. Looks a bit of a Donkey tbh. 11million reported asking price?
    Don't know Assombalonga that well, but £11m seems a bit steep. Would rather take a punt on a Marriot for half the price.

I would also have a look at Nick Powell for Wigan. He scored 15 goals from midfield for them last season and looks like a classy operator on the ball. We could use a goalscoring midfielder.

I would love us to buy Jack Marriott, a real prospect.

At least on this board one can refer to the ‘chinaman’, whereas on another message board using the term gets you a telling off and instructions to be more ‘respectful’! As in China, free speech not allowed on that board.

What is he then? Maybe a Chinese man. Chinaman doesn't seem offensive to me. I doubt it does to any Chinese either.

It's only the PC who are horrified.
    Ask an Irishman if he's offended by "Paddy"
    " Scot " " "Jock"
    " Welshman " " "Taff"
    " Frenchman " " "Frog"
    " American " " "Yank"
    I bet Chinese people couldn't give a toss.
    I take no notice of PC. I treat all people with respect and friendship, and know damned well they are NOT offended by such nicknames. If people want to call me "Brummie" I welcome that, knowing that they are trying to be friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    " Scot " " "Jock"
    " Welshman " " "Taff"
    " Frenchman " " "Frog"
    " American " " "Yank"
    I take no notice of PC. I treat all people with respect and friendship, and know damned well they are NOT offended by such nicknames. If people want to call me "Brummie" I welcome that, knowing that they are trying to be friendly.

F U.K. me.....Carolgees will go into overdrive once he reads this.

Delete before he reads it and do us all a favour!

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    What is he then? Maybe a Chinese man. Chinaman doesn't seem offensive to me. I doubt it does to any Chinese either.

I agree! There's nothing like a good chinky after a few pints Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    " Scot " " "Jock"
    " Welshman " " "Taff"
    " Frenchman " " "Frog"
    " American " " "Yank"
    I'm not horrified and don't really have an issue about it but have to point out that all those nicknames are different to the term 'Chinky' because 'Chinky' is the only one that is a reference to a physical racial characteristic. PC or not PC it's still generally accepted it's a derogative racial slur but still gets used by the older generation. When I saw it used I pointed it out. I never called anyone racist, I just pointed out it's a negative racial slur and why. It certainly wasn't being used affectionately. It appears it's mainly those using the term who get all horrified when it's challenged. Snowflakes, lol.

For those who are interested in words and their connotations.

"The term Chinaman is described as being offensive in most modern dictionaries and studies of usage. It is not, however, as offensive as chink.[The New Fowler's Modern English Usage considers Chinaman to have a "derogatory edge",The Cambridge Guide to English Usage describes it as having "derogatory overtones",and Philip Herbst's reference work The Color of Words notes that it may be "taken as patronizing".This distinguishes it from similar ethnic names such as Englishman and Irishman, which are not used pejoratively.

In its original sense, Chinaman is almost entirely absent from British English, and has been since before 1965. However, chinaman (not capitalized) is still used in an alternative sense to describe a left-arm unorthodox spin bowler in cricket. Most British dictionaries see the term Chinaman as old-fashioned, and this view is backed up by data from the British National Corpus. According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, in American English Chinaman is most often used in a "knowing" way, either satirically or to evoke the word's historical connotations. It acknowledges, however, that there is still some usage that is completely innocent. In addition, Herbst notes in The Color of Words that despite Chinaman's negative connotations, its use is not usually intended as malicious."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)