+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Assombalonga??

I worked in the Middle-East among predominantly Pakistanis, and got to know the one lad who worked for me quite well, and we'd talk. He told me that the Pakistanis hated being called "Pakis" (which I didn't realise, but I respected, and told the other lads not to use the term in front of them, which they laughed at - and ignored!) However, they used to call the British Staff "Brits", and he told me theterm was derogatory(!) - I told him not to worry, laughed, and told him they could call us what we want because "us Brits" were tougher and could take it, and he laughed and promised me they would.

You can make what you like out of that, but as far as I'm concerned to say that name-calling is "offensive" is rubbish, and dilutes the term "offensive". And "offensive" is so overused that it covers anything from name-calling to serious physical assault. The over-caring PC can kiss my arse. I never use the term "Paki" in front of one, but I call a bloke round the corner "Taffy" and haven't bothered to find out whether he's offended by it - but if he is, I'll find out his christian name and use that.

I'm not sure what would be insulting about a nickname taken from the river that runs through Cardiff. The term Paki was often aimed at anyone who had light brown skin and was commonly scrawled across walls after the words 'go home'. I've never heard it used endearingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Johnson View Post
    I'm not sure what would be insulting about a nickname taken from the river that runs through Cardiff. The term Paki was often aimed at anyone who had light brown skin and was commonly scrawled across walls after the words 'go home'. I've never heard it used endearingly.
    You obviously don't mix with Pakistanis, Robert. If you did, you'd discover that they've got thicker skin than you give them credit for. Most are offended by other people patronising them.

Too many people being offended on behalf of someone else. It must make them feel all nice inside.

I see today they've announced that a LGBT flag (proud Baggies) is to fly from the East Stand. Anyone offended by that?
    No? Didn't think so.
    Stick a "straight" flag up there right next to it and see what happens. The PC brigade would be up in arms.

Brit, short for British, Paki short for Pakistani. Why is one term seen as bad the other fine? Change that question, why is one term, merely a shortening of a name, frowned upon?
    Please feel free to continue calling me Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    Brit, short for British, Paki short for Pakistani. Why is one term seen as bad the other fine? Change that question, why is one term, merely a shortening of a name, frowned upon?

Careful Chris.......our resident social conscience will be leaping all over you for this and accusing you of being a “casual racist” like he did to me a week or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    Too many people being offended on behalf of someone else. It must make them feel all nice inside.

I see today they've announced that a LGBT flag (proud Baggies) is to fly from the East Stand. Anyone offended by that?
    No? Didn't think so.
    Stick a "straight" flag up there right next to it and see what happens. The PC brigade would be up in arms.

Massive “Like”.

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post

No? Didn't think so.
    A quick search on footy mad for the term LGBT will tell you otherwise about it not being a problem. The point is this, people from that Community have been excluded, attacked, and in some cases brutally murdered for being different. It's about the club showing they are as welcome to be here as you and I. The straight majority don't need to impose themselves as they are already seen as the accepted ones. The fact that gay footballers don't feel safe enough to come out tells us all we need to know about levels of acceptance within the game.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    It's a good question Chris and one asked a lot.

Words themselves aren't racist but meaning and motivation can make them so.

The term 'Paki' never came about as a shortened term for Pakistani.

"Paki acquired offensive connotations in the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to subjects of former colony states in a derogatory and racist manner. In modern British usage "Paki" is typically a derogatory label referring to South Asians beyond Pakistan, including those from India, Afghanistan and elsewhere. To a lesser extent, it has also been applied to Arabs and others perceived to resemble South Asians."

It's common usage has mostly been negative or aggressive as in 'Paki bashing', ' smelly Paki', 'dirty Paki', 'Paki *******', 'go home Paki'.

The only one I can think of that resembles a non negative version is 'Paki shop' but that was used to describe any shop run by people based on light brown skin colour and not necessarily Pakistanis.

Like I said before, I haven't ever heard it used nuetrally or affectionately.

Can I just ask what a "straight" flag looks like?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)