+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potts knows what new boss wants

Potts knows what new boss wants

New Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel has been drilling his style into the Barnsley squad says Brad Potts.

German gaffer Stendel has been with the players for nearly three weeks and, alongside coaching staff Christopher Stern and Andreas Winkler, he has been getting the squad used to his ultra-attacking, high pressing style adopted by compatriot Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

The Reds have already sold Christoph Knasmullner, Matty Pearson and Stevie Mallan this summer with potentially more outgoings expected as Stendel further assesses who suits his style of play.

“He’s been good,” revealed Potts. “Obviously him, Chris and Andreas have come in and they’ve told us what they want.

“We had a presentation on the first or second day and all the lads seem to be enjoying it.

“We just need to keep it up and hopefully we’ll have a successful season.

“The sessions have been intense, he wants us working really hard. Whenever we’re out of possession he wants the ball back straightaway and he wants us to counter quickly.

“I think with the players we’ve got here that style of play could suit us.”

Barnsley implemented a similar system the last time they got promoted from League One.

Paul Heckingbottom steered a sinking ship away from relegation and allowed the likes of Sam Winnall, Ashley Fletcher, Conor Hourihane and Adam Hammill to flourish.

However, Lloyd Isgrove - who struggled with injuries last term - is the only outfield player still in the ranks from that group of successful players.

Fans’ favourite Hammill was released at the end of last season following the Reds’ relegation back to the third tier.

So new heroes will have to step up this season and come to the fore if the club are going to win promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt.

Meanwhile, Reds youngster Dylan Mottley-Henry is hungry to push on this season after loan spells away from the club last season, as well as the end of his season being blighted by injury.

"It's been tough coming back from surgery and having almost six months out,” admitted the 20-year-old midfielder. “But I feel I'm getting there, back to my full potential.

“I'm not looking to go back out on loan this season, I want to be in and around the Barnsley first team, that's where I see myself.

"I think I'm ready for that, ready to step and raring to go."

This just sounds like gametalk here from Bradley Potter.
    But if theres any truth in it then thats very encouraging to hear. It obviously suggests little or no new signings coming in though, and thats still worrying and underwhelming.

Fact is I agree with the boards stance here Acido. If we don't sell anymore players we'll have a more than capable squad. I don't think we need anyone as it stands and just cherry pick from the under 23's when need be.

Fair do's Ponty, but do we believe the club will keep turning down these apparent bigger offers for both Moore & Bradshaw ?.
    For example if we get offered Ł1.5 mill I think he/they will be off.

A dint see much evidence of this "new" way of laikin at Salford.

Its all a fad with new coaching jargon to mek it sarnd impreesive.
    Befooar the word "pressing" came in we called it "closing darn"
    Befooar "closing darn" we called it "Tackling early"
    Befooar "tackling early" we called it "Gerrin stuck in, lerrin 'em know tha theear"

It's all bullsh1t.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 17-07-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A dint see much evidence of this "new" way of laikin at Salford. Its all a fad with new coaching jargon to mek it sarnd impreesive..
    It sounded impressive in the 1st half Sb and apparently we could have been 2/3 ahead. But like you say, was any of it this high pressing stuff we're being told about. And it sounds like we were very lucky to hang on for the win.
    And why are Fryers & Pinillos playing in the Gardner type defensive midfield role ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    It sounded impressive in the 1st half Sb and apparently we could have been 2/3 ahead. But like you say, was any of it this high pressing stuff we're being told about. And it sounds like we were very lucky to hang on for the win.
    And why are Fryers & Pinillos playing in the Gardner type defensive midfield role ?.
    Maybe Stendel wo trying them there because he has been told he will not be gerrin anybody else in to cover that v i t a l holding/breaking up play role in midfield that Gardner, and befooar him, Scowen, used to do Booath Fryers and Pinillos are not up to it.
    A draw ageean Conference teeam Salford worra fair result..

Reds won 1-0

Quote Originally Posted by asbin View Post
    Reds won 1-0
    Tha reyt asbin. A wo theear anorl A wo thinkin a draw wudda been a fair result. It's mi age.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A dint see much evidence of this "new" way of laikin at Salford.

Its all a fad with new coaching jargon to mek it sarnd impreesive.
    Befooar the word "pressing" came in we called it "closing darn"
    Befooar "closing darn" we called it "Tackling early"
    Befooar "tackling early" we called it "Gerrin stuck in, lerrin 'em know tha theear"

It's all bullsh1t.

Nice one SB. Perfectly put

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast