+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football cliches you hate

Football cliches you hate

Not on about the lazy lies spewed out by the southern media'mackems about us demanding too much, etc. More on about the nonsense spouted by pundits/commentators/players.

(Reckon we need a more light-hearted thread to go amongst our more pressing concerns).

Always makes me grimace when a player will say of ANY fecking ground ahead of a game 'oh, it's not an easy place to go to and get a result' even if they're talking about a team 3 leagues below them who haven't won at home since before the war!

"We/he/they/I gave 110 %"....not possible. Not at all. You can't give more than your maximum effort, which is 100%. Thick twats.

Any use of 'literally'...the game literally exploded into life. No, it didn't...if it did, exploded into death would be more apt.

The ball literally flew into the net. Again, no. No it didn't. Did it grow a pair of fucking wings and head for the nearest worm?

Your turn...

Wow he got some purchase on that shot! WTF

Once heard a player say they gave a million per cent, that must mean something surely. Also heard a commentator say, "The ball kareemed off the goal post"
    Last edited by Cannylad; 17-07-2018 at 07:34 PM.

"Well obviously it was a team performance, obviously delighted to get the win, it was obviously a hard-fought battle, yeah, but like I said the lads were great out there on the pitch, and we're obviously delighted to get the win" said every footballer ever in every post-match interview.

Also; remember Pardew's "he absolutely rapes him"?

What I like about Michael Owen as a pundit is that he says what's on everybody's mind:

“Footballers these days often have to use their feet.”

“He’s elbowed him in the head, but there’s nothing in it for me.”

“That would’ve been a goal had it gone inside the post.”

“Whichever team scores more goals usually wins.”

“That’s a fantastic penalty, but he’ll be gutted it went wide.”

“It’s hit the facial part of his head, there.”

“What a shot! That’s completely unstoppable, but the keeper’s got to do better for me.”

“When they don’t score, they hardly ever win.”

“If there’s a bit of rain about, it makes the surface wet.”

“That shot is impossible. I saw Yaya Toure do it once.”

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    What I like about Michael Owen as a pundit is that he says what's on everybody's mind:

“What a shot! That’s completely unstoppable, but the keeper’s got to do better for me.”

This club has always been close to my heart and i'm ecstatic (insert word of choice to show how happy they are) to be coming here.

Also; remember Pardew's "he absolutely rapes him"?

I love listening to the dribble that comes out of Owens mouth, like do you think before you say?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)